Thyroid Disorders Community
welt on neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

welt on neck

I am waiting to see the doc tomorrow for my test results (I know they indicate an overactive thyroid but don't no why) and then am being referred to an endocrinologist.  However this morning I woke up (I don't really sleep !) and on the base of my neck from the middle of the thoard and extending  about 4 inches to the back of the neck and is about 3/4 of an inch in width, I have a raised red welt that is very painful to the touch.  It isn't so much a rash as just one solid red line.  It looks like someone tried to strangle me on one side!  Is this a weird thyroid symptom?
Are you sure its not shingles or Hives?

Itchy at all? Tingly?
not itchy at all...not tingly...feels more like a burn.
Your symptom sounds exactly what I am experiencing.  It comes and goes for no reason I can determine.  At this moment I have a larger welt than any others before, although there are a couple of small ones too.  When I have someone look at them they say they look like scratches.
Did you ever find out what it was?
This thread is 5 yrs old and katima has not posted on the forum since she posted she posted it, so we don't know how she turned out.

I've never heard of anything like that being a thyroid symptom.  Do you have hypothyroidism?  Are you taking some type of thyroid medication?