Transplants Community
Optic Nerve Transplants

This patient support community is for discussions relating to transplants, anti-rejection drugs, financial and insurance issues, long-term issues, organ rejection, pre- and post-surgery, and waiting list issues.

Optic Nerve Transplants

My granddaughter is totally blind.  Both eyes suffered optic nerve damage because of pseudotumor cerebri / IH.  Do you think there is a remote possibility that some day in the future that optic nerves can be transplanted?

I always hope beyond hope that someday there will be a cure for optic nerves that are damaged due to glaucoma (of which I have) as well neuropothy of the optic nerve (and blindness) caused from PTC / IH.  I value your opinion.

E. Perdue
Hi, I have two web sites that may help you. 1.) www.glaucoma.org/research/optic_nerve_and.php-11k That one is for you. The next one:bjo.bmj.com/cgil/content/full/82/5/577  Hope they help you find your answers. There is also a team of doctors doing research with stem cells. Too early to report about their findings. But they did sound hopeful, about a cure for optic nerve damaged by glaucoma.
I understand Optic nerve transplants is in early animal models...researchers state treatmentis possible however it is a while off.London is treating patients with Leber's Optic Atrophy.LCA is a genetic condition and therefore children are born with low vision or blind as a result of the damage to the optic nerve.
My ant is 61 years old, she lost her sight when she was 10. She got meninghitis and this disease  attacked the optic nerve and since then she has been waiting for a transplant do you think we will be able to have this procedure on the next years. She is very depressed  and she is is hoping to be able to see again.
My grandaughter too had optic nerve damage because of a rare disease called Devic disease. She does have some sight but, I too am so hopeful that one day soon they will be able to help her. She is only 12 years old, and this happened at age 7.She is learning braille and has adjusted very well  over all. I do pray one day she will get her sight back and be able to function normally .
My prayers are with all of you,
My girlfriend is totally blind from damage to her optic nerve, due to a stroke and blood clot within hours of giving birth.  Is there any news on optic nerve transplants or regeneration with stem cells?
My grand daughter was diagnosed with a brain tumor when she was 7 months old.  She is now 5 years old. Last May they went into to take out as much of the tumor as they could.  In doing so they had to take out the optic nerve because the tumor was so wrapped around it.  This has left her blind.  I pray and hope one day soon they are able to do transplants for the optic nerve so that she would be able to "see" her daddy smile at her.
I am 39, I lost my sight in my left eye from shingle 9 years ago this Oct 2009 and it damaged my optic nerve and I was wondering if they found away to transplant or regenerate optic nerves yet because Iam Quite interested.

is there any thing to help me with my optic nerval hypoplayzia
i am 45 years old,my right eye i have damage optic nerve,i hope that optic nerve   transplatation...I hope that transplatation can be use...
Hello!I am 45 years old man,i have in my right eye damage optic nerve from Glaucoma.Can you help me?Please write me massage.         Thank you.
my mail address is:shengelia.***@****
my mom, who just turned 50, lost her sight 7 years ago due to spinal meninghitis damaging her optic nerves. The doctors told her they would not have the technology to do a transplant for another 5 years and that was 7 years ago. She is highly depressed and just wants to see her kids growing up and the two grandchildren that she has never seen. Can anyone help???
Please suggest some hospitals/ websites where the cure for optic nerve atrophy could be in more advanced states?
Is in United States Eye Optic nerve transplatation? Please,write for me web site or address.                                    Thank you
I was born with a paralyzed optic nerve. The doctors said that optic nerve transplants would be possible by the time I was 16. I'm 42 now and still looking to see about the possibility.
So, when the doctors tell us there will be a cure for a damaged optic nerve soon in 2 to 15 years, I should not believe it? NLP in both eyes and three doctors told me within a few years there will be optic nerve regeneration. Why would they say this if they did not believe it to be so?
My partner lost his vision when a doctor accidently sliced through his optic nerves during jaw surgery,  Is there any hope for victims like this?
my name is raju i have loss left eye i will ask doctor in hyd lv prasad he  tell optic nerav damage.  optic nerave in world
devic desease also attacked my sister 2 years ago. She is now 45 years old and after 2 attacks has no vision and suffers from severe paralisis on both right and left sides.Due to the lack of knowledge on how and why this desease attacked her my family is left w/hopelessness and don't know what to do. prior to the attacks she was very healthy and led a fruitful life. Any information on surgercal procedures would be helpful in our attempts to understand this rare desease.