Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Always tired and hungry

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Always tired and hungry

Hi I'm 24 years old. For the last few months, I've been feeling tired all the time, i used to stay up till 3 or 4 am and I'm still fine. But then I start to feel tired and go to bed at 11ish, then 10nish then 9nish. What's actually going on with me? Even though I had at least 7 to 8 hours sleep I'm still so tired.
And about my hunger, I always feel hungry after 1-2 hours after I have a meal, and I gain around 12 pounds for the last 6 months.
Please help thanks
1 Comment
If you consistently get 7 to 8 hours sleep and are still tired you may have cause for concern. An occasional night with adequate sleep is not enough to make up for many short nights. If you google sleep hygiene you can get some tips to help you get better sleep.

Not enough sleep and/or not good quality sleep can cause the appetite hormones to not function normally, and can cause inordinate hunger and resultant weight gain. Sometimes weight gain is an unrecognized symptom of a sleep disorder. There are lots of sleep disorders, sleep apnea and limb movements being common culprits. When one is young, it's not the first thought on most doctors' minds. You may have to bring it up.

If you are getting fairly consistent sleep and still feeling bad, the doc can rule out some common causes of tiredness like diabetes, anemia, and thyroid. With your weight gain and tiredness, a thyroid panel would seem to be a logical approach.

You are wise to recognize signals that something has changed with your body and seeking definitive answers will serve you well. It may be a process if not readily evident. When one thing is ruled out, ask what's next. Saying what it's not is not saying what it is. Don't stop short of answers.