Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Armpit pain lasting for almost a year

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Armpit pain lasting for almost a year

I've been experiencing pain in both my armpits for almost a year now.  During that time, there have been periods (weeks) with little or no pain, and other periods with steady pain.  (It's not the kind of pain that's very distracting, but definitely noticeable when I touch the area.)  Doctors have given me no clear-cut answers, only saying that it could be stress.  And blood tests taken last year proved normal.

I'm 26, have always been healthy, and there's no history of cancer in my immediate family.  Before symptoms started showing up last year, I never had any chronic pains like this in my life.  Granted, I quit my job last year, and there was definitely stress during several months of unemployment, as well as stress with my new job.  But now that I've settled into my new job, I would expect the symptoms to go away, and they'e not going way!

Within the last couple months, I've also had an itchy scalp (again, varying in how much I notice it).  And I've had abominal pain from time to time, which may be related to prostatitis (a diagnosis given by my urologist).

Can any of these be related?  If I have a chronic infection in my prostate, can that trigger these other symptoms?  Isn't it true that lymphoma causes painless swelling in the armpits, not painful swelling?

I'm really desperate for answers, so please give me your best assessment.  Thanks!
I've had the same thing - it comes and goes, always under my left armpit.  Sometimes it shows up with acid reflux type pressue in my chest, and I think it's a heart attack.  Only after 3-4 days living with it, and then having it happen every 3 or so months do I realize that it just couldn't be a heart attack or I wouldn't be here.  

I asked my doctor about the pain, and they said it was maybe muscle/skelatal?  I really doubt it.  If you ever make any headway, please let me know!
I have the exact same symptoms. The pain is in both armpits in what seems to be the same location.  When I poke around I can feel a very small bump - about the size of a grain of rice. My doctors don't seem too concerned.  My concern is that the doctors are overlooking something serious.

Thus far I have been dealing with this for over 2 years.

Have had pain in both armpits for more than 3 months.  Also feel burning sensation in groin (lymph nodes?).  Had CBC twice  - all ok.  Been told it may be stress but doc is cool about diagnosis in that he would be open to ordering more tests but he's not sure where to go with this.  Put me on low dose Valium (5 mg) and said that whatever it is will either present itself of resolve at some point.  Anyone familiar with CFS?  This is of concern to me but not much I can do...
Have you found any resolution to this?

Ozzie G
I have same thing. Both armpits, I only feel it when I push in one area of lower center armpit. I keep thinking it was from the side wire on my bra but it doesnt really touch there, then a few days ago my brother was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer, so being paranoid I went and did a thyroid ultrasound and they found TWO NODULES that need to be biopsied next week. So now naturally these slight pains in my armpits are more troubling than they were before. There is no swelling, but is that the location of a lymph node?
Dear Jimmy,

Your comments were most useful to me. I have been feeling similar pains and I have been son alarmed I have not been to the GP. I wanted to have an Idea of what could be wrong with me before seeing a Doctor. Please let me know how this resolved itself. I have pains that move from mild to acute on both my armpits. They disappear for a while sometime for days only to reappear. I have been trying to quit smoking but have not. I am 32. can this be smoking related. my job could be stressful especially when i have deadlines to meet. My effective work hours are about 16 hours for 6 days a week. Can this be the cause?

Jhe
I've had these same symptoms since 1996. CBC is fine. Have had anxiety & panic disorder over the years.
Is this related to CFS? FMS? Does anyone else know anything?
Have had similar symptoms lately. Woke up one day a few weeks ago and it felt like my heart was palpitating. Went to the ER a few times over the course of the next couple weeks. During which i started taking antibiotics for a tooth abcess (abscess). Symptoms were muddled except for a sore area and moveable lump underneath my left armpit which started a chain reaction of muscle twitching that spread over most of my uppper body. Had previously had some neck stiffness that i disregarded and some throat tightness and pressure on the right side of my neck which again seemed harmless. For a couple of weeks i was basically left without any kind of appetite and could feel the constant muscle shivering. No fever and all my blood work and urine came back normal repeatedly. Even had a neurologist test me with and EMG. Again normal . I did a full body MRI which came back with a slightly swollen spleen and minor neck arthritis. Previous to the symptoms i had been working out 5 days a week very hard. Since then have only done one very short session in almost a month. As the symptoms slowly progressed to constipation I eventually got my appetite back after a few weeks and after losing 15 pounds or so have put back on 4 or so of that. I talked to my family physician who explained to me that most likely as i am tall and lean that there was no cushion between my nerve bundle that runs under my arm and my ribs. I am 6'4" 188 now. THis created mass sensations all over my body as the nerves ground against my ribs. There is one small node there under my arm which was CT scanned and MRI''s found nothing. Possibility is that it is scar tissue from repetitive motion. I do know that when i tried to massage it recently to see if it was a trapped nerve or something that almost all my recovery process recessed back to early stages .