Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Bad Body Odor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Bad Body Odor

It sometimes smells like rotten eggs, stale onions or rotten meat and it comes and goes and the smell is in my nose and mouth and throat. Atleast that's where I thin it's coming from. I have been diagnosed with acid reflux disease and diabetes. The smell is driving me crazy! What is causing it? Any help would be appreciated. I have gone to my personal doctor, ENT and the dentist but none of them seem to know or even how to help me. I have tried fasting and cleansing but it always comes back. What specialist should I refer to? Thanks any help is appreciated.

Bad smell may be due to halitosis(due to infections of the oral cavity or poor hygiene),smell from the sweat or smell due to nasal or sinus infections.As you are having acid reflux,so it can be due to dyspepsia also.

Eat small nutritious meals at frequent intervals instead of a heavy single meal. Exercise frequently and take your dinner atleast 2 hrs prior to bedtime. Also raise the head end of the bed by 2 blocks. Pls take some antacid like Maalox and Mylanta or OTC medications like zantac or prilosec in case of dyspepsia and see if the symptoms persist.In that case sinusitis has to be ruled out.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

Thank you for your post. I really appreciate your help. I have been taking Zantac for about 5 days now and my stomach (gas & bloating) has been much better however now it seems as if the smell is getting stronger. The prilosec just made me really sleepy so I stopped taking that one. The ENT was the one who suggested I get checked for Acid Reflux since they said everything seemed to be clear. I do have a slight post nasal drip also. My wife says she doesn't smell anything but I think that maybe she is just trying to spare my feelings. On rare occasions when she does say something it's usually because she doesn't know it's me that smells like that. She said it smells like rotting meat or feces. Please any help or a specialis suggestion you may have would be great. Thank you again
High blood sugars can cause body odor, and for me, Byetta causes me to have an odor, but the odors are in my sweat and in my urine. Asparagus makes my urine have a smell I can only describe as a chemical odor. For odors specifically in the mouth, some people's tonsils have pits in them that allow food to accumulate and decay and can come out looking like small yellow kernels. They smell fouler than foul. And gum disease can cause bad breath, and increases other health risks.

It wouldn't hurt to be evaluated by an ENT and/or gastro doc in case you have something that would resolve with treatment.
Hi buttercup3344-- thank you for posting your problem and symptoms.  I have had this "rotten egg nose and mouth"  disease off and on for about 4 years.  What helps me most is to restrict my diet to fresh vegetables and some fruits, only natural chicken for meat, keeping my bowels regular, avoiding processed food and preservatives, taking yogurt and/or probioctics, and using a herbal bitters tonic.  I have often thought that this disease is either TMAU or an infection caused by "solobacterium moorei" which is harbored in the back of the mouth and gives off a hydrogen sulfide odor.  I haven't been tested  for either so I'm just guessing. Also, most of the time, my spouse and others don't smell it either!