Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Burning Hair Smell?

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Burning Hair Smell?

The other night, I was woken up out of a sound sleep, and I sleep REALLY soundly, around 4:30am by the extremely strong odor of burning hair. I sleep with the bedroom door closed. I searched around the bedroom, and found nothing. I opened the door, and headed into the hallway to go to the bathroom. Didn't smell anything outside of the bedroom. I still have no idea where the smell came from or what was causing it. I went to the bathroom, and went outside for a cigarette. When I came back, the smell was gone.

Still no logical explanation for it. Any ideas? Should I be concerned it is a symptom of something wrong with me, or continue to check that it was something from inside the house? And why would it only smell in my bedroom?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
You probably woke up from a dream which had something to do with burning hair and carried this recollection only. Hence once you were wide awake, the smell went away. If this happens again and again, it may herald a sleep disorder and you may need to consult a sleep specialist. Take care!
jaydomb30
I am not a doctor but If it happends again i would almost ask my doctor about the possibility of seizures. A weird smell can be a sign of one coming on and even if you have never had one your seizure threshold may be lowering. But I would not worry about it at all unless it happens again.