Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Burning/numbness in upper thigh

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Burning/numbness in upper thigh

I have no back issues. I do stand for long periods of time,
I work in Pharmacy and never had these symptoms before. 2 1/2 wks ago I was standing on concrete flooring
for 6 hours or so, while working a football game the next day I began to have numbness and deep burning that comes and goes.  Should be concerned?
You should consult your doctor about getting a physical therapy referral.  The right physical therapy can help in your situation.  During the work day you should look for opportunities to sit or do some gentle stretching exercises--but get your feet off the floor as much as possible.  Make sure you take advantage of the mat that is behind the pharmacy counter as much as possible, since those are designed to lessen the impact of standing on your feet so much.
Thank you for the comment. When I stand on those mats, It bothers me more, especially
my feet. We got these new top of the line mats, everyone else seems to think it relieves
the fatigue for them.
Can I do anything myself w/o a Physical Therapy consultant. My boss does not
like disruption in the work schedule.
After posting my comment, I read about possibly it could be my 2nd and 3rd Lumbar
and weight gain, that could be causing a sudden change.
I've been on my feet for over 25 years and never experienced this before
and it came so quickly. I have gained weight due to overeating and hostile
work environment and death of my parents,brother,and have no close family
any longer.
I guess I better take charge of my life and get off the pitty party, and
get my life back on track huh?

Chiropractic helps, too.  But, it works best in conjunction with physical therapy.  Once you know which physical therapy exercises work best, you can continue to do them on your own.  You do need to take advantage of every opportunity you find to get off your feet during the work day.

Maybe during the next vacation or something you'll have the opportunity to see a physical therapist.

I have issues with sciatica, which affects my hips knees and the bottom of my feet.  I've had the burning sensations on the tops of my thighs off and on, but I think mine is from a different reason, since I learned that I have Fibromyalgia.  Fibromyalgia can cause these sensations and idiopathic peripheral neuropathy and other neurological symptoms.

Losing weight will help, of course.  But, you knew that or you wouldn't have mentioned it.
Welcome to the forum!
Prolonged standing can cause venous pooling and deep vein thrombosis (DVT). This can cause the burning sensation in your thigh that comes on and off.
The other possibility is compression of spinal nerves in the lumbar spinal region. This can happen due to prolonged standing and the additional weight that you have put on only adds to the problem.
The possibility of diabetes and hypothyroidism too should be ruled out.
You need the combined approach of a neurologist, an internal medicine specialist to rule out DVT, nutrition specialist, a physical trainer and a chiropractor to move out of this situation.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!