Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
CPAP causing sneezing and coughing???????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

My Mother has had a cpap machine for about a year now.  About a month ago she started having allergy like symptoms.  She wakes up with watery eyes causing her face to be wet.  She has sneezing fits (always like 7 sneezes in a row).  Coughs alot.
She has atrial fibrillation continuously.  No one has been able to get it controlled.  She has a medtronic pacer, has had multiple ablations, cannot tolerate amiodarone or other drugs, norpace stopped working.
She is short of breath and has no energy.
I take care of her and my step father (both are 80 )
It has gotten to the point now that I run the house.  She is reduced to sitting on the couch from the moment she comes down stairs in the morning to the time she goes to bed at night.
Some other things are gas, bloating, stomach upset.
I am just wondering if she could have developed an allergy to her cpap machine or mask.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Well, sneezing and watery eyes can be due to a reaction to CPAP machine. This machine dries up the eyes and nasal passages which causes irritation, burning and sneezing. You can try a cold water humidifier to start with. If you already have a humidifier and your mother still experiences these symptoms you may need a heated humidifier. In most cases this resolves nasal congestion and irritation if it is caused by CPAP. Also if your mother has a deviated nasal septum then also it can cause allergy like symptoms.
CPAP machines can also cause air in the stomach-gas and bloating. Lowering the CPAP pressure can help but do not do this without consulting your sleep specialist. Switching over to bilevel pressure or C-Flex may help your mother too.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
hhmm..hi...can you tell me why my coughs and sneeze are almost a 2 years , it won't stop, I'm an culinary student and afraid of doctors, well  already checked up in a clinic and gave me an antibiotic and something , they says that it's just a normal cough and sneeze but it almost a 2 years!!! wat am I supposed to do?? and it feels like an abnormal cough and sneeze, I can't explain it!  I hate having this sick, my classmates laughing at me when  cough or sneeze and am so embarrassed!!! hope you'll read this...T.C
hhmm..hi...can you tell me why my coughs and sneeze are almost a 2 years , it won't stop, I'm an culinary student and afraid of doctors, well  already checked up in a clinic and gave me an antibiotic and something , they says that it's just a normal cough and sneeze but it almost a 2 years!!! wat am I supposed to do?? and it feels like an abnormal cough and sneeze, I can't explain it!  I hate having this sick, my classmates laughing at me when I  cough or sneeze and am so embarrassed!!! hope you'll read this...T.C