Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Chapped lips

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Chapped lips

I've had chapped lips for almost 2 months now and everything I've used isn't working. I've used chapstick, medicated chapstick, ointment, and Burt's Bees Lip Balm. Once i apply these things my lips seem fine but after maybe a couple hours they would start having some skin hanging off even with the chapstick on and it would get very ichy. Also rashes sometimes form at the corner of my mouths too.
You could be dehydrated. You might not even feel thirsty, but still not be drinking enough water; try upping the amount of plain water you drink in a day, (you should be consuming around 2liters) and you (hopefully!) will see an improvement. Another thing is don't lick your lips trying to moisten them. Saliva contains enzymes that can actually "eat" at your skin, so although it feels helpful briefly, in the long run it's making the problem worse.
Hey
i had the same problem the only  balm that worked was maybelline baby soft lips stick,it has a neutral scent and is unisex,do you have a blocked nose? i worked out i was sleeping at night with my mouth open hence my dry lips
Another thing to consider is a food allergy. Sometimes allergies to certain types of food can cause these issues. If you're up to it, maybe keep a food journal to track everything you eat and see if certain types of food make it better or worse.

In the mean time, after you eat, go to the bathroom and take a wet paper towel and wipe your mouth off and see if that helps. You have to do it after every meal though.
try the natural BEE BALM
It sounds like all the products you've used have petroleum,  which degrades mucous membranes.  That's why there are so many chapstick addicts - because it temporarily coats lips and feels good but it's stripped lips of their very outer layer that keeps the moisture in.

The only thing I've ever seen work is blistex medicated lip balm - the kind that smells like menthalatum.  It comes in a little white and red squeeze tube,  the balm itself is white like toothpaste.

I don't know why Burts Bees is still on the market -
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
There is one very simple thing that I would like to tell you. Lip area when it heals, forms a scab like dry layer. This layer though looks bad should be left as such so that the skin underneath it can get time to grow and cover the lips. If you peel this dry skin, the healing process starts all over again with dry skin on your lip.
Dehydration is the commonest cause of dry cracked lips. Drink plenty of water and see.
The other possibility is iron and Vit B deficiency. Along with multivitamin B (not a multivitamin which also has other vitamins) take an iron preparation and see.
They can also be caused by allergies and infections. You could either be suffering from contact dermatitis or from allergy to some food. You should get an allergy test done, either a skin test or RAST, to know what you are allergic to. Contact dermatitis could be due to tooth pastes, mouth cleansers, spoons, cups, glasses, food items, cosmetics, shampoos, etc, basically anything that comes in contact with your lips.
Since you have rash like lesions it can also be due to angular stomatitis. Most common causes are iron deficiency anemia, or vitamin B deficiencies. Try taking some iron supplements and multivitamins for some days and see if the symptoms persist.
Another possibility is eczema. Herpes infection is another possibility if there is a history of kissing or sexual contact (can get aggravated in presence of vitamin deficiencies, dry cracked lips, infections etc).
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Take care!