Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
Chest pain and pressure

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Chest pain and pressure

I've been suffering from chest pain and pressure for six years.  When it started it would come and go with long gaps in between.  Now it is constant.  The pain is in the center of the chest midway down the sternum.  The area is about the size of a half dollar.  When the pressure gets bad I feel it on the other side of in between my shoulder blades.  The pressure radiates up into my ears, throat, and sinuses.  This causes my ears to block up and I have to pop them over and over.  I also feel the pressure behind my eyes.  The pressure area feels like a bubble in my chest.  Sitting down and leaning forward feels like putting pressure on both the top and the bottom of this area.  Standing is the most comfortable position.  Lying down feels like it is pushing this pressure area up into my throat.  Also, the pressure sometimes makes breathing feel strained in one lung, but not the other (although which lung can alternate).  Sometimes, this feeling abruptly goes away with a sudden popping sensation.  Hard cardiovascular exercise can sometimes cause this to happen.  The pain can get severe, up to a 7, but usually is a constant 3 or 4.  I've been to a neuro, gastro, cardio, psych, pulmo, and physiatrist docs.  I've had a chest CT, stress test, methylcoline challenge, upper endoscpy, etc.  Slight gastritis.  That's it.  Tried Gas X, Prevacid, Xanax, Klonopin, Naproxen, Neurontin.  Nothing.  Currently, I take hydrocodone when it gets really bad.  Kills the pain, but I still feel the pressure in that one spot.  It feel like something stuck in my chest about the size of a golf ball.  I've been to so many docs.  They just run some test, shrug, and say they don't know.  There is no working theory either.  Any ideas?
You have had a comprehensive evaluation for the chest pain, including multiple specialist referrals as well as a stress test, upper endoscopy, and CT scan, among other tests.

It is unlikely that I'll come up with something new over the internet without examining you.

Since the major causes are less likely, given the tests you had, you can consider musculoskeletal causes, as well as conditions like anxiety.  

Seeing a physiatrist, or rehabilitation physician, can help elucidate more uncommon muscle-based causes.  

If anxiety is a condition, a referral to a psychiatrist can help treat this.

If there are symptoms that radiate to the ears, as well as the possibility of sinus disease, a referral to an ENT physician may be considered as well.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.

KevinMD.com
Twitter.com/kevinmd
Hi Coz81,

Sorry to hear what you're going through. Would you like me to take a look at you? I'm not an MD. I just see things sometimes.

Kind Regards,

Orca
Hi there,
I have the same symptoms of chest pains, shortness of breath, sinus issues, ear pains, and headaches.. I found that I have a fungus that resides in the lungs, esophagus, sinus cavities, and ear canals... It can be very evasive if it's not treated, as fungus can spread throughout your body in different organs and eventually turn into cancer.. You need to have an alternative doctor test you for asperilliosis or Candida albicans....
It can take six months or more on antifungals to rid the body of it.... Also if you have any amalgam fillings you should really have them removed and replaced because the mercury in them can lower your immunity causing the fungal problem in the first place..
I had mercury leaking from my fillings so that is why I got sick from the get go... I had 15 removed and replaced and then I had to do chelation therapy for many months..
Whenever there is a condition that seems to defy diagnosis, one doctor or another with suggest seeing a shrink. This is infuriating. I suffered seriously from insomnia for over 30 years. It got so bad that my short-term memory was affected. My health was being ruined. Every doctor I went to suggested a shrink or sleep therapy. But I knew it had a physical cause. And I was right. By accident I discovered a serious iodine deficiency. I now take iodine and sleep just fine. If anyone suggest a placebo effect I will scream.