Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Continual Stabbing Pains That Move Around in my Body

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I have shooting stabbing pains that will occur in my body usually from my neck up for almost 30 years now .  For example it will start on one side of my face or head.  I will get these continual stabbing pains in this area that stays there for days (until it has run it's course maybe days or maybe weeks at a time).  My skin on this side of my face will will be sore like a sunburn but you can not see anything.  There will be puffiness/slightly swollen appearance in area affected.  The stabbing pains are intense and continual.  When it has run its course it will then move to the other side of my face (usually) or to an area on my neck.  It is debilitating.  This pain occurs over and over again non-stop.  I have been to doctors but they do not know what it is.  I have had this for years and it is about to drive me crazy.  I can't help but wonder if it could be internal shingles?  I use to have long periods of time where it could go away completely and come back like when I did not get enough sleep or under alot of stress.  I am taking Methotrexate for Scleroderma (for past 1 1/2 years and feel like this has lowered my resistance to things and wonder if these pains have been worst due to this medication.  I really wish I could get help with this... it is very real.... my doctors don't seem to want to address it because they can't really figure it out.
1 Comment
Neuralgia is a medical condition which results in spasmodic, chronic pain along a single nerve or group of nerves in the head and/or neck.

Types of neuralgia:

Trigeminal neuralgia (TN)
Atypical trigeminal neuralgia (ATN)
Postherpetic neuralgia (PHN - caused by shingles or herpes)
Occipital neuralgia
Glossopharyngeal neuralgia

Based on your symptoms, ATN and PHN are possible.  Just to add, methotrexate is a chemotherapy drug that slows cell turnover by suppressing the immune system.