Facial Numbness
Someone dropped the flu bug on me a couple of weeks ago, and I've spent several afternoons now in the emergency room getting fluids and IV antiemetics.  Now, as I feel like I am starting to be on the mend, I've got something weird happening.  The bottom half of my face, shooting up from my neck, feels numb all the time like a doctor shot it all up with novacaine, but I haven't had any of that type of drug.  Should I be worried?

I'm wondering if you have pressure in your ears or sinuses, so much that it is causing some facial numbness? Do you have loss of feeling and movement in your face?
I guess that's possible.  A couple of times while sitting in the ER, my ears would pop and I'd stop hearing anything out of my left ear.  The numbness is causing some difficulty in chewing and swallowing.

Hey.. I'm glad I caught you. I just logged on again.

There is another condition that is very rare and sometimes affects people after they get the flu. It can also cause numbness, but from my understanding, it usually starts out in the legs (mostly), causing weakness & tingling sensations. It could also cause loss of movement.

I would call your physician, because he/she may want to see you and make sure the tingling in your face is due to pressure behind the ears.

I'm sorry... numbness (not tingling) in the last paragraph.

Thanks.
Can that side of the numb face smile? If not, its a sign of a stroke.

Hi again... your numbness is on both sides of your lower face, correct?

Yeah

How are you feeling today? Still have the numbness? Did you call your physician? I've been a little concerned about you because of that other possible condition I mentioned earlier ---Guillain-Barre. It affects only 1-2 people per 100,000 persons, but people can get this condition after getting the flu. (flu shots are also suspect)

I've read that sitting up or being in bed a long time could also cause numbness, but I would think it wouldn't last this long.

Yeah, it's still there.  Can't see my doc till the 27th, but that's when I'll see him again.

If your have or notice a progression of any of these symptoms:
muscle weakness, numbness & tingling, difficulty walking or notice that you no longer have any reflexes... then my advice to you, would be to get seen right away in the ER or Urgent Care.

Good luck!

I want in on this conversation.  I started having intermittent facial numbness - from the chin to the forehead, both sides, (similar to what you describe) on the day after I had the flu shot (Oct 12).  I had dental work and novacaine on both lower sides 3 days before.  I continue to have the sensation, although at times it seems to be less noticeable. I can still talk, move all of my facial parts, and have no obvious sign of any weakness. I wonder if this is related to the flu shot or the dnetal work.

Hi olivia19,

I'm happy I just stumbled across this. Why don't you start a new post (so it is at the top of the forum)