Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Feeling faint in the shower

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Feeling faint in the shower

My first spell in the shower of feeling faint, nauseous and shaky was today.  I went ans searched the web and I found this place today.  I was wondering, if the faintness came from me changing the direction of my shower head.  I have NEVER done this before and thought maybe I can get a better spray by moving the two heads away from my head onto my shoulders.  I have 2 shower heads that look like butterfly wings that can be moved inward or outward.  I moved them outward today for some unknow reason and almost colapsed after a few minutes.  I had to get to the toile to sit down and put my head down but then that didn't work and I stumbled to the bedroom and laid down flat on the bed (soaking wet). I have NEVER had such a feeling ever while showering.

So, could it be where the shower was putting pressure on my neck on each side at the same time?  That is all I can think it could be because I have never moved my shower heads before or ever felt this awful feeling before.

.

This discussion is related to Feeling Faint in the Shower.
Anytime I get this it means that my iron levels are low, standing up and actively washing myself used to make me feel faint and I never faint. my legs used to feel like they were trembling and weak. wouldn't do any harm to check.
Low iron levels could cause anemia, which is a good guess.

You need to get bbloodwork, specifically a hematocrit. Females (especially) are prone to a mower mlevel of oxygen carrying blood cells.

And, of course dehydration is usually a co-factor.

I don't think this had a lot to do with your shower head position. It is a remote possibility that you have a sensitive vagus nerve (located near the left and right carotids) that was activated when you reached up. This would lower the heart rate. The late Jackie Kennedy had this problem.

I would not be overly concerned, but I would make an appointment for a check-up with lab work - to include both a hematocrit, iron levels, and orthostatic vital signs.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Since you had this feeling in the shower maybe you are relating it to shower. It can also be that this particular position increased the water jet, focused it on your face more and caused claustrophobia. It can also be due to pressure on neck as Caregiver said.
However, you need to get examined to rule out a few things such as low blood pressure, postural hypotension, cervical spinal nerve compression, hypoglycemia, severe anemia, an underactive thyroid (called hypothyroidism), overactive thyroid (called hyperthyroidism), adrenal insufficiency (called Addison's disease), GERD, and internal ear infections. Take plenty of fluids and see if it helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Do consult your doctor. Take care!
I have had he same thing happen to me. It only happens when I take my showers in the morning though, not when I take them at night. This makes me wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I haven't had breakfast yet. Is yours the same way?
I have had this happen to me about 5 times in the past year. I get really dizzy and my vision gets blurry. I have only really fallen one time but my boyfriend was there to catch me. Thank god. I fell the very first time it happened. Ever since then I when i feel like that I sit down and I'm fine after a while. I don't know why this happens. It normally happens when I'm washing my hair or body. It doesn't happen all the time like others on here but it still kinda scares me when it does. I know I'm not anemic for a fact .Any reasons for this that anybody can think of?  

Deziree