Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Fever, severe headache, chills and night sweats

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

My husband has had fever of around 102 degrees, severe headache, chills and night sweats.  This has been going on for a week.  He has had blood tests, urine tested, head and chest x-rays, cat scan and spinal tap.  Nothing can be found.  The doctors say it is a severe viral syndrome that could last 10 to 14 days.  He has lost 10 pounds and is very weak and unable to stay up for very long.  He has not been able to go to work for the last 4 days.  Is there any other diagnosis for this?  He is generally a very, very healthy man.  Are there any other test to be ran?
Karen B.:
It is possible that these symptoms may be due to tick borne infection.

Babesia is an infection that causes night sweats, similar to Malaria, in that the red blood cells are infected.

Here is a url for articles with info that may be relevant.

LYME DISEASE COINFECTIONS
The following is information on diseases known to be transmitted by ticks.
Multiple infections may be transmitted at one time by a single tick.
http://www.lymeinfo.net/coinfections.html

I hope the docs will follow up on this suggestion.  They feel threatened sometimes if they they think the patient is self-diagnosing.

You can tell them the idea came from a retired R.N. who has Lyme Disease.

Wishing you the best,
Carol
Thanks Carol.  He now has a rash on his body which is probably a heat rash from fever and sweating.  He also has a dry cough.  His fever is lower during the day but shoots up at night.  As far as I can tell he has no tick bites.
Karen B:
Well, you're not going to notice a tick bite, unless you develop a rash, or fever and chills, etc.

Articles about tick borne infections.

Carol
My 4 year old girl has had a fever of up to 103.5 for 4 to 5 days now. Sore throat and mild stomach ache also. We have been assured it's not strep and that it's just a virus. She cries a lot with the sore throat which tends to make it worse. Is there anything else, other than Tylenol and Motrin alternating every 3 hours, that we can do?
Paige P,

Motrin should help with the pain and swelling of the sore throat and the aches and pain associate with fever.  If it is viral, all you can do is try to make her comfortable.  Popscicles, gatorade, anything soothing to her throat.  Maybe the chloriseptic sore throat strips that melt in your mouth.  I'm sure she's to young to gargle with salt water.  I know it misery to watch your little girl and not be able to soothe her.  My prayers are with her and you.
My husband went back to work yesterday after being off almost a month.  He was in the hospital for 5 days.  He had all kinds of tests and he had numerous antibiotics pumped into his veins.  So much that it blew out his veins.  All tests have come back negative.  From what I have read on the internet, it sounded and looked like West Nile virus.  The infectious disease specialist that worked on him, said the symptoms were similar to West Nile but that the weather has not been warm enough for West Nile to have infected any mosquitoes.  Whatever this was was extremely strong to have gotten my husband in such a weakened state.  I guess we will never know what it was but I think God that he is slowly regaining his strength.
I'm a 34 year old male, in good physical condition but 3 weeks ago I experienced what I would consider the worst headache of my life.  I was having intercourse with my wife and it hit me the same time I orgasmed.  The pain was so unbearable that it had brought me down to the floor in a fetal position almost in tears.  That initial pain lasted for about 20 minutes and downgraded only a little bit afterwards (about an 8 in the pain meter) but it never went away.  I have been to the ER twice already because  of this. My primary care physician has prescribed lebatalol for my high blood pressure,  butalbital for the headaches, and propranolol (beta blocker) as a preventative measures for the headache.  The medications has little to no effect at times.  The headaches has not gone away and it actually  wakes me up in the middle of night and in the last couple of days i have developed a new symptom,  i get cold chills but only on my upper arms and thighs about   20-30 minutes after the headaches starts.  my doctor said that it's anxiety attack but i'm not sure that it is. I don't have the normal symptoms associated with an anxiety attack...I just feel cold.
I have done some research and the closest i could find is cluster headache but none of the articles i have read said anyting about cold chills.  I have gotten a CT scan and an MRA done and both tests came out negative for anything serious (subarachnoid hemorrhage, inlfammation, etc).  I have been out-of-commission since this all started and it's really affecting my quality of living.  I have an appointment with a neurologist in 2 weeks, but in the meantime, is there anyone out there who can relate or maybe even give some advice on how I can deal with this.
has he had recent test for tb
I had something similar when I was in my 20's and also had to travel during it.  I got so bad one Sunday in NC that one of my clients called his Chiropractor, who made an emergency trip to his office and saw me.
He told me my problem was due to some of the worst muscle spasming he'd ever seen and had peaked during sex causing the headache to start then.  He pinpointed jaw and neck muscle tension and gave me an accupuncture session followed by a complete CP adjustment.
Amazingly the headache stopped .... cold, and I've since used the relaxation excercises he taught me and I have never had any migraine type or extreme headache again!  I'm now 51.
Hi Carol,

My husband came home not feeling well.  Nothing inparticular for a complaint, just generally did not feel well.  He had a short bout of diarrhea, and about an hour after he layed down, he began getting hot, then he would get cold.  Then all of a sudden, he had a fever.  I gave him Tylenol and sometime during the night his fever broke.  This has happended to him twice now in the last month.  The next morning he still didn't feel well but there was no fever, chills or the feeling of being hot.  This is a total mystery to me...any ideas on what this could be?
See RGS question to Carol A in PA on 8/31/07
I am only 14 years old, & I'm goin through the some similar signs as your husband. I don't know what to do. I told my mom, & she's a nurse, but she still makes me go to school! Like right now.. I have a sever headache. Last night I woke up sweating.. 2 nights ago.. My stomach felt so bad! I wanted to throw up! but  i took some kinda pill that made it go away in the next few hours! HELP! When I'm not @ school.. I'm okay.  But when i go to school it gets severe. The headaches are on my forhead and the back of my head. it hurts me so bad i cry. !! i hate it! i dont know what it could be?
I aslo have gotten 4 spider bites in the past 3 weeks. That may be the cause of my pain/headaches/fever. My mother seems to think I need glasses/and or contacts, but I think there is something more than that. She also thinks I may have meningitis. I've been having these headaches for a while, but I have never experienced them in sexual intercourse. I have not been to the M.D. recently. I hate the doctor. I refuse to go unless I know the doctor personally. And I perfer a woman doctor. Are their any suggestions of what I should do?? A guy wants to get intimate with me this weekend, Should I?? Or do you think that would increase my headaches/pain/or fever?
I am 25 years old, for 5 years I have been dealing with sever nightsweats. I have had MRI, C.T. scans, and enough blood work to start my own blood bank. Middle of last year I was put on Neurontin for migraines, and remarkably the nightsweats stopped immediately, but in the past 5 months my doctor has taken me off the Neurontin. Now the nightsweats have returned full blast. I am soaking through night clothes and bed linens. At first I thought early menopause, but that was ruled out. I need some help.
TRACI K, you should listen to your mother and go to the doctor right away, if you haven't already.  I'm going through similar symptoms, it feels like I have a severe hangover (which I'm sure you haven't experienced yet), even though I haven't consumed a drop of alcohol in months.  I think your mom may be onto something when she said it might be meningitis.  Some signs of meningitis include a severe heaedache, nasuea, and extreme sensitivity to light.  If you have these symptoms, you need to go to the emergency room IMMEDIATELY.  Mengingitis can be lethal.

As for my own problems I have no other explanation other than an extreme bout of migraines.  Also for some reason I am having difficulty urinating.  It's not a UTI, I know that for sure, it's almost as if my adductor muscles just don't want to cooperate.  I have to concentrate really hard just to pee.  Yeah, I know, graphic, sorry about that.
  Karen B.  That is great your husband is doing better.  I have been having those same symptoms now for about a week. I think my problem might be related to a new hot tub we got about a month ago.  I didn't think your husband had Lyme Disease because you saw no bite, plus if they look it will show up in a blood test. But Carol is right about Lyme Disease symptoms that for sure, cause I already had that about ten years ago.  LYLE  P.
Please get your husband to another doctor as soon as possible for a second doctor's opion. that dose not sounds good for a healthy man to go down with a suddem weakness like that.
I was on the road for work when my assistant had several episodes of the same "post-coital headaches".  He was in his early 20s, and described it as the worst pain he'd ever endured, worse than migraines.  The headaches were triggered after orgasm. (I only learned this later.)  He took himself into the emergency room after the second or third bout.  They sent him away with some pain killer and he was back again before the night was through.  Luckily this happened during our last few days on the road.

Anyway, to sum it up, I was debriefing with my boss after coming in off the road, and it turns out HE had gone through the same thing a few years earlier, whilst in his late 40s.  In the end both guys found relief through chiropractic treatments, and both of their chiropractors reported having had similar cases before.  My understanding is that these spasms were being triggered by a pinched nerve.

So, here's secondhand evidence repeating the success of one earlier poster.  From my personal experience (with back issues), I recommend seeking out a traditional practicing D.O. (doctor of Osteopathy)--they are well-rounded doctors with a wider breadth of knowledge than chiropractors.  (As I understand it) chiropractic spun off from Osteopathy.  Your health insurance is also more likely to cover a D.O.  The traditional part is key though.  The D.O. general practitioner may be more like any M.D. and emphasize less the skeletal adjustments. Whomever you see, do your homework on them if you have the luxury of choice, and good luck.
I am 42. I have been off work for 2 months for lower back pain. I have been to the doctor and had I think every test possible. MRI, CAT SCAN, BoneScan, Myelogram and shot in my lower back. Every test except the MRI showed 3 buldging disks, are normal or didnt work. Also had PT for 2 months. I have night sweats and lower back pain and muscle spasms in my back and legs that it makes me jump at night when I'm trying to sleep. Any suggestions? The docs says no reason for the lower back pain????
I have been feeling poorly for a week to ten days.  Off and on I get a fever, then it goes away.  I have experienced night sweats, as though my fever has broken.  I have had very bad headaches the last two days.  I am tired, sleeping moe than I normally do.  I heard there is a virus going aroung that can last up to three weeks.  Has anyone heard  this and if I feel this way, do I dare get a flu shot?  S.B.
I have been sick for over three weeks.  Started with a severe headache and neck pain.  I am good during the day, however around 3pm I come home and crash.  I get chills and night sweats, but not every day.  I would be interested if others have this.

MA
My husband has the same type thing going on that the two of you have mentioned.  It started about a week and a half ago with feeling really lethargic, headaches, neck pain and just bad all over.  He would feel better during the day but around 3-4 he would start going down hill.  He had crazy chills and night sweats too.  Now, as of last night, he has started with a fever in the middle of the night of around 102.  He stays so tired too.  Not sure if we should find a doc or if it will just go away but I am starting to worry.  How are you feeling?
Mellie
I have had the worst headache of my life my neck is stiff and hurts as well.i am super sensitive to light and have been exhausted. i have had some fever. I went to the ER they said my cat scan and blood work is okay I have also been on Clarithromycin for 4 days now. the doctor in the ER said last night that if im not better in a few days to come back. So far its 24 hrs later and i do not feel better at all. What can this be?
Fever and weakness when laying or sitting, cold sweats when up moving around. Been going on for 4 days. Any ideas?
What if you say everything your saying is true , fever at night feels very hot and sweat and has these bad headache like your brain is gonna pop, and sore throat that hurts when you cough . What does that signifiy ? Im scared to even think about if it's something bad. Can someone explan this?
sounds like ungiagnosed HIV to me
My son has had a severe headache for approx. 6 days, he has chills and sweats, but no fever. He feels somewhat better after taking Tylenol for sinus but after the 4 hour time lapse, the symptoms are back as severe as ever. Should I be taking him to emergency, he is 22 years old.
my girl friend has been getting horrible head aches and gets a fever and cold chills and today thought she might throw up. the symptoms are only at night and i do not know what to do for her. she has not been to the doc yet and its a huge pain to get her to go..i need help the head aches and cold chills are making her feel awful
i would like to add that she is dizzy fitigued and tired  
Based on my observation as a panic attackee myself, panick attacks are probably linked to how much sodium there is in a person's bloodstream, and not drinking adequate water to hydrate the body enough.  I've never had a panic attack up until that night I had way too much Sushi smothered generously in soy sauce, I woke up shorty after falling asleep with heightened senses, clinching my left breast like I'm moments from death.... I then instinctively breathed heavily to cope with the attack and that allowed me to take it easy and endure the attack alongside having extreme chills from head to foot, as in I'm shaking ecstatically.  4 mins. into the attack, I'm still feeling like crap and all sorts of images in my brain are popping left and right. My mom then took notice that I was gasping for air, and she immediately made me drink REALLY HOT WATER... which subsequently triggered a tingling sensation throughout my whole body, and then viola.... no more shaking... blood pressure going down... and brain images subsiding.  The body's secondary reaction then to getting hydrated with really tongue-burning hot water, are urination and pooping, which I think is the body's way of getting rid of the excess sodium in it.  So my conclusion is that, the overdose on Soy Sauce triggered my very first panic attack, and I've been having less serious panic attacks every now and then, less serious because I've learned how to cope with it when it occurs.  The funny thing was... the 2nd time I've had it, I was staring at our electric fan as I was gasping for air, believe it or not all of the sudden our electric fan splintered into pieces!  Panic attack MIGHT unlock your hidden telekinetic abilities.  This is a real interesting subject scientists might want to look into. =)

Paolo dela Victoria
So drink lots and lots and LOTS of water before going to sleep.
My husband has the same exact symptoms your son is having...we're on day 6.  He is 41 but had a stroke last year and took him to the ER...thankfully the CT scan and lumbar puncture showed no brain bleed or meningitis but the headaches are still really bad.  When he's not on pain killers it's a 9 on pain scale of 1-10.  Anyone else have a clue?  We've done an MRI to double check no brain bleed....Could it be a BAD virus?
I am 21 years old, very healthy, no possible chance of ANY STD of any kind!! I have been having very bad headaches for 4 days now...I have a constant pain all day and night, and its at the very top of my head, favoring the Right side, feels like its deep inside my head I cannot get away from it!! 2 nights ago it hit me and pain in my head was so excruciating all i coudl do was lay and cry and squeeze my head.....ALso, My neck is soo sore and stiff and I can barely move my head around. Towards the evening I start getting the "chills" and a lowgrade fever and after I go to sleep I get night sweats (about 3 times a ngiht) it's not my fever breaking though..I worry about my daughter getting this from me she's 15 months old..I have a stressful job and full tiem college at night, could very possible be from stress, but I don't believe that's what it really is..I know my body and this is not normal..
My husband gets chills,then really bad nightsweats along with a bad headache. He just does not feel well. These symptoms always show up at night. He's been to the doc 3 times now. His tests all come back negative. So he is put on prednisone and antibiotics. He feels better and then a month or 2 later it comes back......
I have had the same exact symptoms now on and off for two weeks. The doc ran blood work and it says nothing is wrong with me. My last fever was two days ago and it got up to 103. Has anyone's doc figured out what they had or they just contributed it to a weird virus??? No one else around me has gotten sick so I have to think it's not a virus. If anyone got a diagnosis I am so interested to know what it was!-NIk
A related discussion, bad head ache body hot was started.
A related discussion, I jus cant understand wht this is. was started.
A related discussion, Severe headache, fever, chills and night sweats was started.
I was diagnosed with Arnold chiari malformation 1 when i turned 30 after haveing heart failure my health went down hill fast. But I would ask the neuro if your mri showed anything with your cerebral tonsles falling below foram magnum ( sorry about spelling) or Google it. Good luck I had awful headaches and sharp pains and so many other symptoms since basically my brain was pushing on my spinal cord which my fluids couldn't flow right. I had brain surgery about year and half ago which helped for awhile unfortunately living with chiari isn't pleasant a lot of the time. I truely understand when u say your quality of living is affected. I feel mine was taken. I hope u figure it all out good luck.
am 30, since 2-3weeks ago when i urinate, i feel pain in the tract, amazingly ma urine is ever brown even when i drink a lot of water, my urge for sex as gone low and it worries my family. Lately am sweating at night too much. Have checked ma docter and told me its anxiety. I need help please.