Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Hard knot behind my ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hard knot behind my ear

I just noticed yesterday that I have a hard knot behind my ear. Its about half an inch away from my ear and I guess the best way to put it is that its in the middle of the ear but behind it.  Its about the size of a dime and hard, it almost feels like a bone of some sort. It doesn't hurt when I touch it or anything. I have been having more headaches than normal lately and I don't know if it is a result of that knot or what. I haven't had any kind of trauma recently either to cause this. Any suggestions would be helpful. I do plan on going to the doctor soon tho. Thanks

Angel
Welcome to the forum!
It is difficult to comment without examination.  Lump behind the ear in your case could be lipoma (localized collection of fat), an inflamed lymph node or a neurofibroma (localized harmless swelling in of nerve and connective tissue). Swollen lymph nodes behind your ears could be due to chest infection, tonsillitis or pharyngitis, dandruff, infection of ear or even metastasis from a cancer. It could also be of tubercular pathology. A fine needle biopsy or a CT scan of the swelling is confirmatory in diagnosis. Clinical examination is equally important hence let us wait and see what your doctor has to say about the knot or lump.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
I did go to the doctor this morning, and he took a look at it and said that the knot behind my ear is a cyst. I am chosing to have it removed on tuesday due to the fact that when I wear sunglasses/glasses it tends to become a little sore. What should I expect from this procedure? I am getting it done on my weekend so I will have 2 days to recover after the fact. Should this be enough time? Thanks

Angel
This will be a simple procedure under local anesthesia. The cyst will be removed along with the wall. There may be one or two stitches either ones to be removed or self dissolving ones. Antibiotic cover and painkillers will be given. Wearing spectacles may be a problem for a week or so until the wound heals completely. Will it be possible for you to get contact lenses before surgery? OR You can wear spectacles along with a cotton padding.
I do wear contacts on a normal basis, I was mainly refering to sunglasses. So not wearing them wouldnt be an issue. I will keep you posted as well. Thank you very much!

Angel
All the best then! Will be waiting for your post.