Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Hard swollen lymph node in neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hard swollen lymph node in neck

A few days ago, the lymph node behind my left jaw became swollen and barely bothersome. I had an appointment with my primary doctor for other reasons so I mentioned it to him. Initially he suspected cat scratch fever but I have not been scratched or bitten so he put me on antibiotics. This was on Tuesday. Since starting the antibiotics the swelling has gotten worse (visually obvious) and the pain has increased considerably. Just moving my neck causes pain and it feels like the gland is being pulled. It's sensitive to the touch, fairly hard and pretty stationary. It's seems almost as if the antibiotics has made it worse. I have also been getting frequent headaches which usually effect the left side of my head but not always.
For the past two weeks or so I have been doing wound care for my dad who got a nasty infection on his leg which had to be surgically cut out. I've been super careful to wash my hands and wear gloves before, during and after the wound care so I doubt there is a connection to my problems and after explaining this to my doctor, he agrees. I'm not sure if it's important or not to mention that my father is a CLL patient currently on chemo (well he isn't right now because of his antibiotics but as soon as he heals chemo will resume). His CLL is assumed to be from the Chernobyl disaster since we were in Europe at the time.
My big question is, should I give antibiotics more time or should I contact my doctor on Monday since my problems have worsened?  I also forgot to mention that one of my other big medical concerns is severe fatigue.
I have also tried warm compresses to no avail
Any comments, opinions and suggestions are appreciated
Thanks!
Tanya
call your dr you could be allergic to biotic i took cillin for years and one day had a severe reaction to it i had been allergic to it all that time but didnt show up allergies can do that also kinda sounds like mumps ask dr though
Update...
I have been given a new antibiotic (Bactrim) but no improvement, still. The lump has nearly doubled in size at least and is very hard and does not move much. If I move my head to quick, it pulls and hurts really bad. The headaches that have come along with it has gotten more intense and more frequent. My neck is also somewhat stiff. And as if that wasn't enough, I can't seem to keep my eyes open for very long...I am just sooo tired which is not normal for me. I'm not sure if it's related or not but my insides, up and underneath my ribcage is super super tender!  Does anybody have any idea as to what might be going on?  I'm totally miserable!!