Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Hard to Breathe and Lightheaded

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hard to Breathe and Lightheaded

For the last two weeks or so, it has been difficult to breathe and my chest feels constricted. Whenever I lay down and get up and I start walking, my vision goes fuzzy then I see only blackness, and then the blackness gradually goes away within 10-15 seconds. I know that happens to a lot of people when they get up too fast, but it has been happening to me the last two weeks all the time! And my difficulty breathing isn't bad to where I think i need an oxygen tank, but it feels harder than usual to breathe and doesn't seem normal, and is kinda scary. I'm only 18 and I just moved from California to Idaho, and possibly the elevation may have something to do with it, I'm not sure. Is this something I should be worried about? Or should I just let it play out and hope that it goes away?
It could be the elevation change, it may also very well be allergies. Since you are seeing black spots I think you should get checked out. You do not want to take the chance of it getting worse and put yourself in danger. I have not had allergy problems in years but recently began feeling dizzy and my breathing was like I could not get a deep breath it was very shallow. I went to the dr and he gave me an inhaler and I could not believe the difference after I used it! It is nice to get a lung full of air. Best wishes, Sissie
I agree it could be allergies and/or elevation. However, it would be best to check with a Dr. to be sure. You could also be experiencing stress and anxiety. I`m dealing with anxiety off the chart again due to many issues, including medical. Anxiety will do more than you think, so please see a Dr. Keep us posted. Hope You feel better.
You need to see your doctor about this.

The black spots that you are seeing and with you having difficulty breathing could be that you are anaemic.

The breathing problem and constriction in your chest could also be from a chest infection or a breathing disorder like asthma.

Go to your doctor so that he can check your blood for anaemia and listen to your chest for any infections and also do a lung function test to check you for asthma.

Best wishes.
You could have a tilt table test to find out what's going on.  Just describe it to your doctor.  Because of your age, most likely you will outgrow this.