Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Help Unexplained Fever

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Help Unexplained Fever

For the the last two weeks (today is 15th day), my wife has had an unexplained high grade fever that comes and goes thorugh out the day.  She generally wakes in the morning feeling fine with a normal temperature, but by mid afternoon her temperature goes up quickly to usually around 103-104 and stay that way until night time.  During the night she usually gets sweats and chill through out the night.  Her only other real symptoms are headache and fatigue, that really appear to be brought on by the fever.  We've seen the doctor a couple of times.  They  have tested for Mono, basic blood counts, and bacteria all negative.

Some people have suggested this could be Malaria or HIV ARS, but her chnace of being infected with either of them is almost nil.  She hasn't travelled outside the country in over a year and we've both been tested for HIV in the past (negative) and have not had any other partners since then.  However I am concerned about the length this has gone on.  Do this symptoms sound like either one of these conditions or is there anything else we should consdier testing for.

Thanks.

Depending on where you traveled, you might want to obtain a malaria blood smear just to rule it out.  Malaria symptoms can pop up quite a long time after the initial infection.  Another HIV test probably wouldn't be a bad idea to definitively rule that out as well.  

If I were your wife, I'd want a second opinion, and if you have a history of extensive traveling (or even if you don't) I'd think that an infectious disease specialist would be the person to start with.
hi
maybe she should be checked for lymphoma with the high fevers and such...obviously something has to be going on as this is not normal.....good luck
Thanks for the comments.  She went to see an infectious disease specialist today.  He thinks it is Mono despite previous negative test and she is being retested for it.  Also doing an HIV test just to be safe.  Won't have the results back for a couple of days though.

Based on what I've read on Mono, her symptoms don't sound typical at all.  Actually the more I read about Malaria the more the symptoms seem to match, but the doctor did not think it was possible.  THe only places outside of the county she has travelled to in the last couple of years in Europe and Asutralia and very Northern Baja Mexico.  She has been to Brazil and the Philippines in the past (more than 3 years ago).