High Ferritin
Last week blood results were...

Ferritin 455             (range 22-322)
Iron      87             (range 49-181)
Iron Binding Capacity 286(range 250-450)
Iron Saturation 30       (%18-50)

Three weeks ago....
Iron, Serum was 258.
Glucose slightly high at 106  (range 65-100).
ALT (Liver Enzymes) was slightly high at 55, three weeks ago too.

Everything else normal.  Never had high iron beform that I am aware of.  Historically, over last 5 years, maybe 2-3 times liver enzymes slightly high.  But later normal.  RBC count high, but later normal.  CPK sometimes high.  I workout alot and the doctor has surmised that the rise in RBC, CPK, liver enzymes etc, is so slight and could be attributed to dehydration, muscle breakdown etc.  Sometimes chlosterol high and 2 months or so ago it was but now normal due to diet and supplementation.

BTW going to test my transferrin saturation Monday.

I do have a hemangioma on my liver that I think is 1-2 cm and has not grown.  Found in '05 and checked again in '06.

I do not drink much, take in lots of protein, workout alot, lately have been taking Omega-3s, Red Yeast Rice and no-flush Niacin (for high cholesterol etc.)  Also in last 2 weeks Milk Thistle, Liver Care supplement,  Stinging Nettle, Saw Palmeto, Flax seed.

My question, should I be alarmed?  Can you have a high ferritin reading and it amount to nothing?  What could cause a high reading?

Thanks.

Chris
Im also wondering if an elevated ferritin level is serious.
My ferritin was 3400 & should be 3-150 for women. Ive had many blood transfusions in the past (a cause for high ferritin levels), and have been tested for haemochromatosis (1/300 ppl have this - the most common cause of increased iron absorption) which i do not have.
I have been at my dr to tell me what i can do to fix it, but he wont respond.
I have high ferritin levels, and normal iron levels. Doc has no explanation. My info has been sent to hepotology clinics in portland and seattle. Waiting for dr reviews. Anybody have red palms? Have been tested for hemochromatosis, negative. No other symptoms. Seems that sugar makes the palms redder. Somebody explain.
I also have high ferritin levels (1090) , and normal Iron. Anyone find out why yet?

I did multiple test, not able to find out..
Further to my post earlier,

Iron and TIBC
Iron 17 umol/L
TIBC 47
Transferrin satuartion   0.36
Tyroid stimulating Hormo 0.87

I am currently taking synorid pills for many years
In 2005 I was diagnosed with hemochromatosis.  It was a long hard struggle to discover this diagnosis.  It was determined that it was heriditary.  The doctor has checked the Ferritin every now and then but during the last six months it shot up by 500 and cannot figure out what caused this to happen.  Also wonder now why he has never given me the iron reading, just gives me the Ferritin reading.  My question is . . . does anyone else with this condition tend to feel unusually cold?
A related discussion, NON ALCOHOLIC FATTY LIVER (NAFLD) High ferritin and liver enzymes was started.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.