High White Blood Count
My 21 year old son has had to go to his family physician every 3 days for 2 weeks now because he has an elevated White blood count (15000 - 25000) They have not been able to diagnos him so now are doing a complete physical this Thursday then sending him to a hemotologist. His orthopedic doctor does not seem to think it is related to his 2 MAJOR broken bones this year: elbow requiring surgery in October 2005, screws inserted and then a tib fib leg fracture requiring surgery January 2006, plate and screws inserted. Being the fearful and concerned mom I am, I feel this is somehow related. He also had cold symptoms the last 2 weeks but the doctor has said the WBC should be going down so does not think that was the cause of the elevated WBC. Any ideas or suggestions to ask the doctors when we see them? Thanks for your help and advise.
Has any other blood tests been performed?
About white blood count (and other blood tests): http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/wbc/test.html
Elevated WBC's are more often indicitive of a bacterial infection. He has had a cold for the past 2 weeks, something is going on, I would think. Have they tried antibiotics?
my son had a high white count with a cold and had a sinus infection....once he was treated he was fine.....ask the dr about this possibility,,,,,,,maybe sinus ct??  good luck
Mom here again :)

I got a copy of my son's labs and his eosinoph level is also very high. He will be having a complete physical in a week and then off to a specialist. They want him to go to a hemotologist but I heard an Infectious Disease doc would be better. Any ideas on the difference? Also, my son does not have insurance :( He is 21 and a firefighter. His shattered elbow he was semi covered through the Colorado Intigent Program, and his shattered leg was work comp with disability and disfigurement.
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.