Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Is it acid reflux or worse?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Is it acid reflux or worse?

Lately I've been getting attacks of strong heartburn, usually brought on by acid foods or drinks.  It happens randomly and not everytime I have something acidic.  One morning after having a few sips of a coke, the pain was excruciating and I threw up several times.  Now when I have an attack, it's not as severe, but it does stop me from eating anything acidic for a few days.  Milk usually stops the heartburn.  Does this sound like acid reflux or something different?
Sounds like acid reflux to me. I have suffered from acid reflux for the last 5 years, as someone who eats lots of spicy food and smokes a lot I have it real bad. Recently I have found two things that help 1. Honey 2. omeprazole tablets by dr reddy. Hope that helps
ASounds like acid reflux I have had it about 12 years now. My uncle had it until he got a hole in his esophagus. I take 300mg up to 2-3 xs a day of ranitidine. a generic prilosec and always take one before I lie down for bed at night Its great and its on the $4 list at most pharmacies!
p.s. i gave up cokes. I have water and buy those  flavored packets and put in it. Sometimes the packets are to strong so i put half a packet in. Its pretty good and there are soooo many flavors out there and you get more water. The funny thing is though, plain water flares up my acid relux. In the evenings I stick to milk and light tea.Pop is a big pleasure now a days for me :(  The only pop i tolerate fairly well is coke zero.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
The symptoms could be exacerbation of the GERD.  It could also be hiatal hernia. Treatment is a combination of drugs to reduce the acid and lifestyle changes. You will need to take a combination of medications (under medical supervision) like a proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole, lansoprazole or pantoprazole empty stomach in the morning and an antacid gel after meals for complete relief. Possibility of H pylori infection too should be looked into by a carbon urea breath test and a combination antibiotic tried. Many a times a persisting H pylori infection can be the cause behind acidity not responding to treatment.
Life style changes that will help include: Avoid heavy meals and eat frequent small meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, smoking, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Avoid lying down for least 2 hours after food. Maybe these tips will help you.
If these tips do not help, then liver function test, pancreatic enzymes, and HIDA scan for gall bladder should be done. Food intolerance and inflammatory bowel conditions such as IBS, Crohn’s, celiac etc should be considered. Log in what you eat and see if there is a correlation between a certain food type and the symptoms.
You should consult a gastroenterologist (a specialist who looks after the diseases of our digestive system) or a physician for this. Take care!