Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Itching down in the muscles around shoulder blades

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I have had an itching sensation down in the muscles around my shoulder blades for years and it has recently started getting worse.  I have scratched until my skin is raw and have had my husband to literally pound on my back with his fist trying to get some relief.  So far nothing seems to help. If there is anyone that can give me a direction to go in with getting some help I sure would appreciate it.
Papaya-mint and alfafa mixed with avocado and shiite mushrooms reduce itch and protect the skin from further attacks. It also has the ability to heal certain cuts and damage.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
What you have is probably Scalene Myofascial Pain Syndrome. When scalene muscle is the cause of pain (burning, itching etc), the pain is referred to (either all or a combination of) chest, inner lining of scapula (shoulder bone), shoulder, posterior and lateral sides of the arm right up to the thumb and index finger.
If not, then it can be compression of spinal nerves. This can be diagnosed by nerve conduction studies and MRI.
Strange though it may sound, it can be a sign of menopause. Hormone replacement therapy will help in this case.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Take care!
Its funny that you mentioned Myofascial Pain Syndrome because back when I was around 25 or so I pulled all the muscles from my waist up and was told that I had Myofascial Pain Syndrome.  Although the itching didn't set in until around a year later.  The itching in the last year has just gotten to the point that I really need something done about it.  Every doctor I have asked about it acts like that don't know what I am talking about.  So thanks so much for your help and maybe now I will be able to get my doctor to do something about it....