Life after Mono
Has anyone here been diagnosed with Fybromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue after struggling through a bout with Mono?
I have been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue syndrome. I don't remember ever having mono. I went to the doctor because I was so tired all of the time, I feel like I way a thousand pounds when I try to get out of bed in the morning and feel the constant need to sleep. The doctor tested me for everything under the sun and I came up positive for the Epstein Barr Virus. So his diagnosis was Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I went for a second opinion and that was not Chronic Fatigue but Chronic Depression, whatever, I have never felt depressed just tired! I went on anti depressants and they haven't helped a bit with my fatigue, so maybe it is Chronic fatigue syndrome. I don't know all I know is I wish I could wake up one day and not feel like falling right back in bed.

By mono I guess you refer to Infectious mononucleosis, more commonly known as glandular fever in other English-speaking countries. It occurs most commonly in adolescents and young adults, where it is characterized by fever, sore throat, muscle soreness, and fatigue. Infectious mononucleosis typically produces a mild illness in small children, and is often asymptomatic. Mononucleosis is predominantly caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), which infects B cells (B-lymphocytes), producing a reactive lymphocytosis predominantly consisting of atypical lymphocytes, a specific type of T-cell that gives the disease its name.

In small children, the course of the disease is frequently asymptomatic. Some adult patients suffer fever, tiredness, lassitude (abnormal fatigue), depression, lethargy, and chronic lymph node swelling, for months or years. This variant of mononucleosis has been referred to as chronic EBV syndrome or chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), although CFS is a distinct condition from IM. Still, current studies suggest there is an association between infectious mononucleosis and CFS. In case of a weakening of the immune system, a reactivation of the Epstein-Barr virus is possible; in CFS there is evidence of immune activation also. "Chronic fatigue states" as defined by the CDC criteria for CFS, appear to occur in 10% of those who contract mononucleosis. Chronic fatigue may then be a rather common side effect of infectious mononucleosis.

A diagnosis of Mono can be established through examination and tests. Though, the EBV virus may remain dormant for some time and resurface at a later date. Please confirm this from a doctor though it is clear that the disease may be resurfacing of a previous infection.

You can get more information at : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infectious_mononucleosis

Best regards
I have EBV.   Antibodies will show up in blood tests for life.    Your doctor will need to determine if the virus is active or latent (IGG / IGA readings, etc.)    Mine is active.   I feel tired all day.  I started taking anti-viral drugs (Valtrex and Famvir) two months ago.  We'll see how I feel in 6 months.     Find out if your EBV is active via blood test.

Good luck.
Hi there, I had previous symptoms of leg pain, chronic hives, I went to the immunologist (|worried about Lupus) and she tested my CBC , ANA's and Urine- chest x-ray and tested negative for auto immune. Now, I have developed indigestion, coughed little blood, canker sores and chest pain. My doctor sent me for 2 UGI, xray and blood tests. Everything came back normal. But, now I have changed my family doctor and my new doctor said I could have Lupus??? I am confused and very depressed he also said I may have Fybromyalgia. Is it possible to still have Lupus with negative testing???Are Fybromyalgia symptoms similiar to Lupus?? I have 2 kids and I am worried that I may not live long enough to take care of them. Please help!!!
I had Mono 13yrs ago & my immune system has NEVER been the same. Before the Mono I was superhealthy & would barely even get a cold. Now i catch everything! I usually get sick 3-4 times a year & always with intense fatigue. Its crazy. For months at a time I can be super healthy exercise 4-5 days a week and feel good but then i get sick & it takes weeks to recover. I have had bloodwork done repeatedly & there have been very SLIGHT liver function abnormalities but for the most part its pretty normal. Dr.s always want to say its stress or maybe i am depressed but i feel like that is the easy answer for everything. I am a nurse & i'm not stupid nor am i depressed. I am just completely frustrated. I do also get sinus infections quite frequently. Does anyone have any ideas???? or similar symptoms???
A related discussion, Life after mono was started.