Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Low grade fever for past 3 months

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Low grade fever for past 3 months

Hello My name is Laura, I am a 42 year old female.  I am hoping this site can help me, I understand that not knowing my health history or actually looking me over that I will not get a diagnosis here but am hoping that I can at least get guided in the right direction/directions.

A little about me;  42 female, 3 children 3 births, partial hysterectomy (still have ovaries), All 3 childbirths were c-section (not really given a reason), low blood pressure 90/40 average, often have low iron as well so dizzy spells happen from time to time, I have also had 2 back surgeries (last one 2006 on L5S1) was a smoker (pack a day) until January 2013, I no longer smoke.

In January of this year I started feeling poorly, low grade fever 99-100.4, body aches and sometimes headaches.  I had some nasal congestion but no drainage, no cough and a moderate sore throat.  2 weeks later it felt like an elephant sitting on my chest and back at the same time, simply put, I could not breath, even talking made my breathing labored.  During this entire time I ran a low grade fever 99-100.4, I went to the emergency room (husband made me), they gave me a chest xray and said I had pneumonia, wrote me a prescription for leviquin and sent me home.  Went to my regular doctor the following afternoon and had some type of xray/mri with dye and it showed pneumonia in my right lung, right long 20% collapsed and evidence of COPD (which is why I immediately quit smoking)

My primary had me admitted to the hospital immediately, was there for 7 or 8 days, received breathing treatments, more leviquin and some steroids. During my stay at the hospital the Doctors were struggling with the steroids because apparently it made my sugar go through the roof I continued the antibiotics for 5 more days after the hospital and of course now am on new daily meds like claritin and some vitamins for the COPD.  

I have consistently ran a low grade fever, have headaches and often general body aches since the beginning of January 2013, please help.  What is the doctor missing or what can I ask to be tested for.  Help me help my doctor.  This fever wares me down, I feel like I need to sleep and or lay down more than I am awake, this presents a small problem for working :(

Thank you
Laura Richards
***@****
Tags: Health
With a low grade fever, it sounds like your body is still fighting an infection.  Either bacterial or viral.

When you say the doctors were struggling with the steriods because it made your sugars go over the roof.  Have you been checked for diabetes?

With the low iron level, the doctor should also check your B12 levels.  If you have not had a blood test for that, then it would be worth getting a test done, so that if your B12 is low you can have injections of this or tablets and  iron with folic acid.

The dizzy spells and headaches can be from your haemaglobin levels being low as well as from the low blood pressure.

Make sure you drink plenty of fluids.  Water is best.  As you have mucus, it is best to keep of milk products because it increases mucus formation.
Your low grade fever as well as dehydration can give you headaches.  So make sure you are well hydrated.

For the congestion, you can try steam inhalations.  A bowl of hot water with Vick or olbas oil and a towel over your head and breath in the steam.  Take care not to get scaleded.

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Best wishes.
Mine was always around 98.7.