Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Lump behind ear and neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Lump behind ear and neck

I have recently discovered a very tender lump on the section of skin behind my ear that joins my ear to my neck - its about the size of a pea and extremely tender to touch... assumed it was just a large sore, but its been around 3 or 4 days now and doesn't seem to looking like that.  I have also now noticed a lump in my neck on the same side which is just as tender to touch - this lump seems to be too far beneath the surface to be a sore and is slightly further back than where my glands tend to come up...

Any suggestions on what these could be (I was diagnosed with tyhroid nodules last year but assuming this isnt connected) I just hate taking time of to see drs...

Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
It is difficult to comment without examination.  Lump behind the ear could be an abscess, folliculitis (hair follicle infection), an infected cyst, an inflamed lymph node or a neurofibroma (localized harmless swelling in of nerve and connective tissue). Since there is a swelling in neck, it can be an abscess or an inflamed lymph node. However swollen lymphnodes behind your ears could be due to chest infection, tonsillitis or pharyngitis, dandruff, infection of ear or even metastasis from a cancer. It could also be of tubercular pathology.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. A fine needle biopsy of a CT scan can tell for sure what the lump is. Do consult your doctor regarding this. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
it could still be glands.
It could be a lymph node or a sebaceous cyst.  You should probably see a doctor to see if it needs to be drained or biopsied.