Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Lump behind ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Lump behind ear

Last week, I noticed a painful to the touch lump on the back of my ear exactly where it connects to my head. I applied a hot towel to it thinking it might be a boil. This did not help, it only made it more inflamed. I forgot about it until yesterday when I was showering washing behind the ears with soap when I felt two more lumps (that are not painful) behind the ear  on the neck area. I am Hypothyroid and last year I was experiencing throbbing in the ear. They ran tests and found I have a very small lump on my thyroid not to be alarmed too small for biopsy. For the past 8 months or so I have been experiencing pain in the ear when I sleep on that side. It is terribly painful to where I have to slowly get up and walk around for it to go away. I thought it was the way I sleep, but now I'm wondering if any of that  has anything to do with these lumps, or am I adding it all up to worry myself more? Any advice? Thank you for your time.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Lumps in that area could be a localized collection of fat, a swollen lymph node, an abscess, folliculitis (hair follicle infection) or a neurofibroma (localized harmless swelling in a nerve). The lymph nodes can swell due to dandruff, internal ear infection or caries in tooth.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage, without examining the lumps.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
My daughter had the same situation, I took her to the emergency room when they diagnosed her with the lumps she got discharded and the dr said to bring her back in case it got worst.  Now she grew one more lump[ and hurst worst.  What should I do where do I take her now?
my brother has a lump behind his right ear which sometimes throbs its were his skull meets the ear it is slightly red and inflamed and sore to touch,any help or advice would be gratefull
A related discussion, lump behind ears was started.
two of my children have lumps behind their ears n on the neck but no pain....should i be alarmed?
A related discussion, head and neck pain was started.
My boyfriend has a lump but its not were the ear and skull meet it back lil bit and everytime its touched it hurts and theres a lil red color around the bump..i pulled some hairs out were the bump is to see if that would help but everything is still the same.
Over the past few days I've noticed a hard lump on the back of my right ear where it joins to the skull it hurts when it's got pressure on it as well as being a reasonably big size maybe the size of the tip surface of your finger? I'm not sure what I should do?! Any ideas...
I got a lump on the back of my ear. It started out pea size but got irritated and is now the sizing of a medium sized acorn.  hurts to the touch and has made my whole earloob swell. Need sum advice.