Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Lump on ankle, Very painfull to walk

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Lump on ankle, Very painfull to walk

Hello, I am really hoping someone has some idea about this. About 2 weeks ago i found a very hard lump on my ankle under the skin. Its about the diameter of a quarter and its located on the outerside in the very back. (side of achilles tendon)
In the last few days it has been causing me a lot of pain. The bump its self doesnt hurt but the area around it started hurting, the pain spread to my ankle and heal and now is creaping up my leg.
Does any one have any idea what this is? It is very hard like someone cute a large marble in half and glued it onto the bone, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Thanks for the post.

A hard lump at the ankle area could be a neurofibroma (swelling arising from the nerve), a lipoma (deposition of fat tissue), a swelling of the tendon, a tubercular lump, or a swelling arising out of the bone. It is very difficult to comment without examining. You need to consult an orthopedic specialist at the earliest as you have also started feeling pain. A change in the size, texture, color, association of pain etc in a lump is a cause of concern.

You will need to undergo X-ray of the concerned joint, maybe fine needle aspiration cytology to study the type of tissue and/or some blood tests.

See your orthopedic specialist at the earliest.
If you need more help, please feel free to contact. I’ll be happy to answer your queries. Please keep me posted.

Hello, Thanks for the information, I am seeing my pcp this wed so hopefully this will get resolved soon.
I do have a question, are all these possible if there is no exterior discoloration or swelling? Also the bump itself doesn't hurt at all unless you push it really hard, its the rest of my ankle that is feeling the pain.

I am glad you are seeing your PCP this Wednesday. Yes the swellings I have talked about are possible without any discoloration. Also the lumps may or may not have accompanying edema or swelling. Neurofibromas and lipomas are usually not painful unless under stress or touched a lot. The rest of the ankle could be feeling the pain due to the pressure of the lump on a tendon or nerve or blood vessel.

I would appreciate if you keep me posted. Please let me know what your PCP says.  Meanwhile, if you need more help, please feel free to contact. I’ll be happy to answer your queries.
A related discussion, Pain in legs getting worse by the day was started.