Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Lumps on Lower Leg (Right Above the Ankle)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hello!

Wondering if someone could assist me in regards to what type of doctor I should see, and what the possible diagnose could be.

In May 2009 both of my ankles started to swell and I noticed two lumps on my lower right leg (right above the ankle).  The lumps were not discolored and were not painful.  I went to see my primary doctor and she thought the issue could be related to my sodium intake so she told me to start drinking more water each day.  I did that and the swelling and lumps remained. I then started to work out and noticed that after ten minutes on the eliptical machine my ankles would swell, and the lumps also began to swell with me not being able to bend my right ankle and my foot going numb.  This still occurs today when I just go outside and walk around a store, and of course anything more physical.  I also have a dull achy feeling within my right leg (knee and down) that is off and on thru the day, and progressively gets works with exercise or standing to long.

The lumps are about the size of a quarter each and are on my lower right leg - right above my ankle.  Both of my ankles continue to swell but only my right leg has the lumps.  I also only get the pain in my right leg.

History of diagnosis and treatments:
Primary Care doctor thought the original issue was my sodium intake and asked me to drink more water.  After that did not resolve the issue she had me go and take a sonogram to check for blood clots, and referred me to a vascular doctor.  The sonogram came back negative for blood clots and the vascular doctor stated that all was clear on the sonogram and that he believed it could be a hernia.  I then went to an orthopedic surgeron who took xrays and an MRI, and sent me to physical therapy for peroneal tendinitis.  I went to physical therapy for 2 months (about 8 sessions) with no resolution, and then got referred to another orthopedic surgeon.  This doctor (my most recent) also took xrays and an MRI, and it stated that it didn't look like a mass.  He diagnosed me with right ankle - lower leg peroneal muscle strain and myofastial/trigger point pain.  His treatment plan is for me to go another 4-6 weeks of physical therapy (2-3 times per week) of physical therapy, and then if that doesn't resolve the issue he stated that his next option would be steroid injections.

A few of the doctors have pretty much acted as if they have no idea what the lumps are, and how to treat them and I am at a loss.  I have been dealing with this for over a year and any help you could provide me would be greatly appreciated since I feel like I am hitting a dead end.

Thank You So Much!

Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Usually conditions of heart, kidney, liver or low protein or severe anemia, which cause ankle swelling cause both ankles to swell. Hence if both ankles are swelling then you will need to get heart function assessed by ECHO and EKG, get kidney and liver function tests done and get a complete blood picture for anemia. Low sodium in blood, hypothyroidism and malabsorption syndromes causing low protein in blood have to be looked into.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Thank you for the quick response....

Do you know what could possibly be causing the lumps above my ankles?  I went to the doctor again today before reading your response and they have put me on a water pill.

Which type of doctor would do the tests you listed above?

Thanks Again!!!!
Hi!
The lumps could be localized collection of water. The water pills will only help drain out the excess water and not treat the cause. Your PCP can run all the basic tests I advised earlier.Take care!