Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Nipple wound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Nipple wound

Probably over a month ago my nipple started itching... resulting in a scab. I had put cortezone on it to try and help stop the itching but didnt work, and in my sleep i would scratch it. well it finally stopped itching when it got scaby so i ignored it waiting for it to heal. Well during the day by bra, or even at night my shirt or blanket, would rub against it and rub the scab off. And it would ooz a bit of yellow liquid. I eventually put a bandaid over it with some cream so it would not get infected then started with just a bandaid so it wouldnt rub. With the bandaid it seems to be helping and healing a little, until i shower and some of the scab will come off again. and also the other skin on my breast is getting irritated from the sticky on the bandaid. i have used various bandaids with as little stick as i can find. I am just looking to see if this is normal and if i should take this to a doctor. i am cramped for time and cash.. so i was hoping to find someway to fix it my self... but without having to wear a huge bangage of my boob for very long. I have to keep something covering it so the scab wont rub off... any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Are you pregnant or beast feeding?
Nipple can get itchy due to dryness especially during the winters. It can also be due to rubbing against the fabric of the bra.
I would advise you to continue with the steroid cream and keep the area well moisturized and see if it helps.
If there is no improvement please schedule an appointment with your gynec and undergo a complete breast exam. Keep us posted!
No not breast feeding. Or pregnant. I am 21 and i remember this happening once when i was just starting to wear bras. but the healing proccess didnt take so long. And then i thought it was just part of the "growing" proccess. lol. I will definitly keep watch of it. I am trying different bandaids and it seems to be helping. But any further Info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much! =)
Though you probably have a mild skin irritation, a friend of mine with similar symptoms was diagnosed with Pagets Disease of the Breast. It is a RARE cancer that is curable if caught early. She had surgery, radiation and has been cancer free for the last 5 years!

Most women are in their 50's, but it can strike ladies at any age! The following link explaines it very well:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Sites-Types/pagets-breast

It sounds to me like you may have a yeast infection.  That's what happened to me when I was breastfeeding.  If that is the case it gets very itchy and sore, and has little tiny things that look like blisters that then pop and weep.  If it is, I would STOP putting the bandaid and ointment on, it could make it worse.  As much as possible go without a bra.  Clean and dry the area very well after your shower.  I actually used alcohol.  Stang like the dickens but it went away very quickly once I started doing those things.  Also, eat a lot of yorgurt, just like if you had a diffferent kind of yeast infection.
Good luck!!
Alright, well thank you for all your suggestions... but i definilty think it is time i go to the Doctors. I thought about it being a yeast infection, and i got some regular Vaginal cream to put on it to see if that would help, well it hasnt changed anything really. And the last two days i have dumped poroxide on it, still no change really. one day it is scabbed over a bit then boom its oozing again. The other odd thing is, i really dont and never have had sensitive nipples, and the one with the sore on it is just super sensitive, i can hardly rub the cream on it. The one thing i have not tried is the rubbing alchohole.. lol and that was only because i could not find any in the cuborad. :) I am at my wits end with this, and it is starting to worry me a little. So thank you all again for the suggestions. I will post and let you know what happens with the doctors (once i find the time to get in there).
A related discussion, Nipple sore and wound was started.