Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Numb hands while sleeping

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Numb hands while sleeping

Hi everyone

For several months now, I have been suffering from numbness in my hands while sleeping. I wake up during the night or in the morning with numb hands and sometimes with slight tingling. I have no pain and I have no numbness during the day. Does anyone know what is causing this? I haven't been to the doctor yet as I keep thinking the problem will go away but it's not.

Scooby

Your symptoms are suggestive of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome as the Carpal Tunnel Syndrome symptoms are most pronounced at night. Sufferers often wake up at night with numb hands thinking that they are sleeping in a position that restricts circulation causing their hands to "go to sleep" or feel numb. If you are experiencing regular sleep disruption due to your hands feeling numb at night, you probably are in the early stages of Carpal Tunnel Strain. In the case of Carpal Tunnel Strain, early detection and preventive action is important to check the progression of the syndrome.

Common conditions that can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome include obesity, pregnancy, hypothyroidism, arthritis, diabetes, and trauma.

The goal of treatment for CTS is to reduce the swelling and pressure on the median nerve. Fortunately for most people who develop carpal tunnel syndrome, proper treatment usually can relieve pain, numbness and tingling, and restore normal function of the wrist and hand. Treatment may include the use of splints or braces, anti-inflammatory medications, cortisone injections or surgery.

I’ll request you to please consult a neurologist at the earliest without any delay.

Please do keep me posted.

Kind Rgds

It is possible that you may have some kind of neurological disorder which may be due to nerve compression, cervical spondolysis, injury, carpal tunnel syndrome etc.,

However, each of these is a distinct disorder and therefore, may need to be examined.

You may need to get this evaluated and thereafter get treated.

In the meanwhile, you may try and change the posture of your sleep, keep the limb elevated.

Let me know if you may need any more information

A related discussion, Numbness in hands in night, hands painful to close was started.