Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pain while passing gas on period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Pain while passing gas on period

When I pass gas or have a bowel movement, I feel this sharp, shocking pain in my anus. But this only happens when I am on my period.
I also have an external hemorrhoid that may contribute to this problem.
If anyone can give me any advice on what this is, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your time.
This has happened to me also. Not every time I have my period but sometimes. I have no idea what it is.....
its kind of odd but it seems to be something that happens to a lot of people but no one really questions it about themselves? i think its normal as it is to have gas pains in the tummy. may just be pressure on the anal area.
I'm not sure exactly what your pain feels like, but I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) which affects more people than you'd think and many people don't even know they have it because it isn't a detectable disease, but can only be diagnosed by identifying symptoms and by doing tests to eliminate other possiblities.  In any case, perhaps you have a mild case of IBS and, when your on your period and, as most women are, you may be increasingly emotional or tense.  Your colon may be reacting to your tense feelings and going into a spasm located primarily in the anal region.  When I am on my period, I often feel an extremely sharp pain shooting up my anus, usually when I need to use the bathroom or when I need to pass gas.  This is the explanation that I received from a number of doctors that I have seen.  I'm not sure if this is what you feel, but if it is then I hope that my experience has helped you.  :)
I suffer from bad anal pain too, but only when i am on my period and only when i take the contraceptive pill. When i had a break from the pill i didn't get any pain at all, so i think it is definately linked. But i can't seem to find any information about this. Help!
On your period you can suffere from vagional congestion.  A lot of blood is going in that direction and the veins can be swollen and cause fullness in the vagina.  
The full sensations can make the anus sensitive because of compressed nerves--result of the swelling.

Sorry, I just took 2mg of Ativan so I'm getting loooug[py

loopy.

Can't type for nothing.
This pain your feeling is ususally endometriosis on the outside of the colen.  It is very painful you can also have it when you are ovulating sometimes.