Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Painful Lymph Nodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Painful Lymph Nodes

For the past 2 months I have had recurrent sore throats and have been on antibiotics 4 times. My symptoms get better and come back again after a while. I have never had painful lymph nodes but 2 weeks ago I came up with another sore throat and this time it followed by a swollen lymph node on my neck and painful lymph nodes throughout my body (only the neck was swollen). I also had a low grade fever and still get the low grade fever some nights. I was put on antibiotics again and now one week after I still have painful lymph nodes through my body. On my neck, armpits, groin. The swelling of my neck is almost gone. I also got an hepatitis A vaccine two weeks ago. Not sure if that could cause painful lymph nodes. I’m kind of worried about having a cancer or leukemia. I have done a full blood test (CBC) that came back normal. I’m just wondering if these are all throat infection why is my CBC blood test normal all the time and the strep throat comes back negative? Mono is negative as well. And the sore throat is usually deep down inside my throat near the thyroid. (did a thyroid test that was normal too). Could this be something serious? I'm 20, male.
I think you may have a lymph node infection (lymphadenitis).  These can be hard to get rid of so you may need to be on antibiotics for 3-4 uninterrupted weeks.  If you take them for a week, stop, feel bad, and then get a new prescription and start a new course after a 3 day break, it won't do you any good.

It would be a good idea to see an infectious disease doctor and immunologist, it could be that you have a particularly severe infection and need a certain type of antibiotic or it could be that your immune system is weak for some reason and needs to be boosted back up in order to properly fight the infection.

Good luck and keep us posted,
E
thank you for the answer Erin
i'm going to Cuba in 5 days and can't see my doctor before that. The neck lymph node is not swollen anymore but im not sure why im getting painful lymph nodes throught my body. They dont really hurt if i dont press on them but when i feel the pain. I'm not sure if i would be fine in Cuba. My antibiotics will be finished tomorrow and i will leave on Wednesday. I do have a health insurance plan so if anything i think i will be in good hands. But the worry and thinking of having cancer or some serious disease is stopping me from enjoying the vacation.
It's very unlikely that you have cancer, if you did then the lymph node would stay swollen, not go back down like it did.  Also when the doctors saw you if they were worried at all about cancer they would have gotten the node biopsied.

Lymph nodes can enlarge or be painful with any infection, even a minor one, and can also swell if you have other conditions like eczema - or sometimes even if you are just stressed out - and they can stay swollen for a long time.

When you get back from Cuba, ask your doc about referring you to an infectious disease doctor to check the possibility of a lymph node infection or antibiotic-resistant infection, and to check and make sure your immune system is working well.

E
Hi guys, I'm a 24yr old, I'm a smoker! and had swollen neck for two months now, it comes and goes, went to see my doc 3 weeks ago, he sent me for thyroid blood test and ultrasound, everything came back normal, but my neck started swelling up again, its not painful, but feels like a lump stuck in my throat when I swallow, can anybody please advise me what to do, I'm really worried.