Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Piercing pain below the ribs.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Piercing pain below the ribs.

I'm not sure if the pain is in my abdomen.It's somewhere below my right ribs.The sharp pain would just come & go. And the pain worsens when I try to take a deep breath. I usually hold onto the area where the pain is & wait till it disappears. I've been having it for quite awhile.Any idea what this means or is it like something normal?
Thanks.
i am also having simular pains. and it has gone around to my back and right shoulder. i've been to the er three times in the last week. i can't eat, or i vomit. my possium is low, blood pressure high. anyways, they say its gallbladder. you should go get checked out. hope this helps.

jennbenn

Any pain which occurs in the areas of the lower ribs and worsens on taking a deep breath could possibly be due to 2 reasons.
Firstly, a pleural pathology – meaning an inflammation of the pleura (covering of the lungs) and is also known as Pleuritis or Pleurisy.
In this, there’s usually local tenderness in the area. Analgesics or anti-inflammatory drugs are given in this disease and underlying lung disease is searched for. I’ll suggest an X-ray of the chest for the same. It is usually self limiting if there’s no underlying lung disease like pneumonia.

A disease of the liver/diaphragm can also produce similar symptoms. Any infection of the liver like a collection of pus or pus collection below the diaphragm (muscular separation of the chest and abdominal cavity). However, both these entities are not commonly seen.

An X-ray of the chest and an Ultrasound examination of the right upper abdomen are sufficient to lead to a conclusive diagnosis.

I hope that helps. Please do keep me posted.

Best Regards.
Thanks for the advice & help.I really appreciate it.
However I still have some doubts about what I'm having.I did some research & found that the symptoms that I have are similar to gallbladder disease but the difference is that the sharp pain only occurs suddenly just for a few seconds or 1-2 mins.It normally doesn't last for so long.I also do not have nausea, vomiting, only frequent headaches which I considered normal. Also, the pain does not radiate to the upper back.The last attack I had was last week. So is it possible that I have gallbladder disease?