Rash and Joint Pain
I have been getting the following symptoms in the fall for three years in a row now.  They go away after three to six months.  The symptoms seem to be triggered by a stressful situation.  It starts off with a rash that is on my thighs, arms, even sometimes my face.  It usually comes in the afternoon and gets worse as the night goes on, but after some sleep the rash seems to go away and is barely there in the morning. Sometimes my fingers swell during the day and I have joint pain in random spots like wrists, elbows, feet, ankles.  After the first time the rash shows up, it also seems to be affected by wheat and alcohol which do not give me any problems the rest of the year.  The arthritis specialists said my bloodwork was inconclusive.  I was tested for all the forms of arthritis.  I do not like taking prednisone, it works but it is not a good alternative.  I do not have any fibro myalgia symptoms.  I would appreciate any help or ideas that you have.
have you been tested for celiac disease? a possible wheat gluten intolerance could be causing all the problems. if it is the case you'll have to change your diet which could be a pain but the symptoms will disappear in a matter of weeks. worth getting it looked into. I wish you luck.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Well, joint pains with rash can be seen in SLE, psoriatic arthritis, fibromyalgia, polymayalgia rheumatica and chronic fatigue syndrome. Gout, though typically affects the great toe, can cause multiple joint pain with rash. Hashimotos Thyroiditis is another possibility. Hayfever and rheumatoid arthritis too should also be ruled out. It looks like rheumatoid arthritis has been ruled out in your case.
Another possibility is reactive arthritis, which could have occurred in reaction to something—in this case rash. In this case you need to rule out the cause for the hives or urticaria. Urticaria is usually triggered by allergens, such as drugs, foods, insect bites, inhaled substances, in response to sunlight, cold, heat, stress, exercise, or a viral infection. Other common allergens are pollen, mold, dust, pet dander, or cosmetics. Food allergies like to gluten and alcohol too should be looked into.You may need to consult an allergy specialist.
Hope this helps. Do let me know if there is any thing else and keep me posted. Take care!