Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Rubbing sound/sensation in lower throat/upper chest

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Viewing 201-235 comments:
So it looks like I have the same problems you are all having! Common theme I'm seeing:

Athletes
Injuries

I am 20, and a couple months ago I went over a cliff in a dune buggy, it messed me up to say the least! And I just noticed this issue tonight twisting from side to side in a dress I was trying to wiggle into! It looks like either our activity or body jerking events have compressed our spines and really screwing us over haha. I'm guessing nerves that are triggering our diaphragms get pinched between the vertebrae in our backs, I'm no doctor but I will bring my theory up with one and get back to everyone.
Hi guys,

I too have had exactly the same problem, and firstly let me just reassure everyone on this discussion board that this issue is NOT SERIOUS.

I am an otherwise healthy 20 year-old male who has recently been diagnosed with gastritis (acid reflux or GERD). I visited the doctor when I noticed this strange noise and he had a very good explanation for me...

Gastritis/acid reflux causes inflammation of the stomach and oesophagus. This inflammation of the oesophaus is what is causing these strange 'breath-like' sounds. When you move/rotate your torso, the oesophagus rubs against the trachea (wind pipe). The friction between the two pipes is what causes the strange sounds coming out of your mouth.

When will it stop? The sound will stop when the inflammation goes down. This can happen over time without treatment in mild cases. In more severe reflux cases (such as mine), a month on acid-suppressants should do the trick. Either way, there's nothing to worry about.

Hopefully this reassures everyone, it certainly reassured me.

Take care guys,
Dan.
Wow to all of you... I just noticed my issue today and literally stopped excercising and ran to google. I can't find much on it. I've never in my 32 years of life expire fed this. I was working out like every Monday morning and heard this weird sound coming out of me. It's like I'm breathing when I'm not.
Seriously, why are you on here? We're genuinely concerned. I'm 32 and like I said I work out every and never in my life (I'm 32) never once has this happened to me. All of a sudden I get up, take the kids to school, come home, start to work out and I hear this freaky noise. If you think we are retarded or hypochondriacs then so be it... Honestly I think you needed a few more hugs growing up.
Im an 18 year old female, And I've been experiencing about the same thing. I have hives and the same strange breathing issue. When it first started happening it would only occur when I would raise my arm over my opposite shoulder and twist slightly (as if itching my back) but recently I only have to turn at about a 30 degree turn from twisting at the hips and I feel a suction of air, and than when I turn back it feels like I'm breathing outwards. As though when I twist it causes my lungs to simultaneously intake air and push it back out.
Though I believe mine is allergy related~
I first noticed this strange breathing/wheezing noise when rotating my upper torso, shortly after having thyroid surgery.  I had my thyroid, two parathyroid glands and several lymph nodes removed due to thyroid cancer (papilary). After the surgery I also had a strange involintary dry cough. This seemed to get better and almost go away after about 4 to 6 weeks and then when I had the radioactive iodine treatment the cough returned as did the breathing issue when twisting my upper body.  Some nights when I lay in bed I can here a soft wheezing/squeeking sound when I exhale. I had a CT scan after the radioactive iodine and they noticed a bit of smudging in the lungs so I am going to go for a repeat of the chest CT scan in two weeks.  I had a chest x-ray and nothing showed up.  I hope the cancer has not spread to my lungs.
Hey guys, i'm a 17 year old female 98 pounds 5'2". I have these noises too. I highly doubt they're anything to worry about. I have fibromyalgia & rheumatoid arthritis so i have to stretch constantly & this noise you speak of is very familiar to me. I smoke, not much about 5 cigarettes a day, for the past 3 years. I have exercise induced asthma. When I was a child I had bad asthma but I outgrew it by age 11. That may be some of your issues. When I walk up steps, I have heavy breathing. When I wake up or get dressed, heavy breathing. When I stretch rotating my torso, I hear that noise. Like someone said up there, it's probably normal considering you're all from different backgrounds and it always happens from the twisting. Just saying at worst it could be exercise induced asthma. Or just completely normal, happens to a large number of people. I do yoga sometimes that may help with any breathing problems any of you may have. Also allergies may be considered, I'm a tad bit allergic to cats & I have 3 of them in my room at all times. Yes, I'm ruthless. :)
THERE IS AN ANSWER!

Saw my allergist for this today and she said, "I have the same thing!"  She let me listen to her chest and I heard it.  She's had it for a few years.  Yes, louder when mouth is open.  She discovered it while twisting during during yoga, as I did.  She said she asked around and didn't get any answers, but she thinks it's the pleura rubbing against something.  The lungs are in the pleural cavity.  See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleural_cavity

She said is NORMAL.

She said she thinks it might be more common in very thin people as she and I are.  The pleura can become inflamed for a number of reasons.  She mentioned rheumatoid arthritis.  Pleurisy is a severe inflammation of the pleura.  If you have this you'll have pain when taking a deep breath.  I don't, my lungs sound fine to her.

I have asthma, severe allergies to my cats who sit on me all the time, and a recent chest thing that's had me coughing up goo for 5 weeks.  I'm theorizing that's why I suddenly have this now...also very weird breathing/throat/chest squeezing symptoms for about 3 months since going on lovenox and warfarin for a clot.  I can't wait to get off that stuff.

Pleurisy is treated with anti-inflammatories.  Before you take anything for this condition of ours, see your Dr.!

If you are in the DC area and want to consult with my Dr., e-mail me at ***@**** for her contact info.

Good luck,

Heather
I guess we're not allowed to post our e-mail addresses.  Sorry!

Heather
Ditto, ditto, ditto to all the symptoms. I read every last one of the comments above in this forum. And this should make you all feel a lot better. I've had this condition for quite a few years. Guess what... I'm 62 and still living.  I think the inflammation of the pleura is the most logical answer. Sometimes, I don't even notice the problem and even forget about it and other times it is most pronounced and I start to worry about such things as lung cancer and other horrible diseases. (That happens as you get a little older...lol)  I had a recent bout of bronchitis and lots of coughing and I am noticing it a lot more. I googled the symptoms and came to this forum. I was surprised at the many people who experience the same thing. I was especially surprised to see the many young people with the same condition.
I did have pleurisy as a teenager. I briefly smoked in my early 20's and have not touched cigarettes since. I'm average weight, exercise moderately and am basically a pretty healthy person. I have a physical every now and then and the chest Xray = normal. In my 20's, I had a condition where the left collar bone was inflamed for a while. My Dr., at the time, said it was from caused from stress and to not worry about it. So I didn't. And it did go away.
I really think this condition is an inflammation of the pleural lining rubbing against the lung itself which causes the whooshing sound when twisting etc. Mine is on the left side of the chest. Think about it. The air we breath is polluted, the food we eat (someone mentioned wheat, that our learned scientists have been tampering with) is incompatible with your body, smoking, stress, sickness and most probably those tubes they stick in your throat when you have a surgery... all contribute to the degradation of your precious lungs and the sack they rest in. Add GERD, arthritis, bad posture and whatever else and bingo... you have a chronic inflammatory condition. I guess it won't kill you so don't worry about it. If there is pain associated with it or you are coughing up blood then you need to seek help. Otherwise, fogedabodit. Cheers. Here's to life!
same to everyone here, i was just doing a dance move where i moved my upper torso from side to side and it sounds like something grinding against eachother. i was in a car accident and have had a messed up back. but then i read that it might have to do with the lung, makes sense since thats where the sound is. my apartment is filled with mold and im workin to fix it. its funny i just noticed this today after i had just finished cleaning the mold from my bedroom walls.. is this a back thing or a lung throat thing?
I'm a kid and I don't smoke I have these problems to I think my self is that if u don't sit up straight or walk upright and u kno how many people say that u loose oxgen in ur back if u do that I think in my theory is that when ur twisting ur torso ur leaning up straight and ur back is wheezing from lack of oxgen and I think it's coming from the whole back area but Im brought to believe it's only coming from the upper back bcuz I got an x ray and they said I have an tiny curve in my upper back area that's only seen if I wear a shirt with no back fabric and bend over witch would never happen lol
I just started belly dancing and when I try to practice my chest shimmy or twist my body well stretching or something it does that. At first I thought it was because my muscles needed to be warmed up more or that I needed to drink more water. but even after that it still continues. Im not sure if it's because I'm a beginner or what. Also I thought it was another skinny girl problem. every move I make one bone or another pops or cracks. like my ankles, wrist, and neck. I was hoping to find someone with an answer like stretching or a vitamin I'm missing. I am a vegetarian, small framed 130 and 5"9.
BTW I'm no smoker, I. was diagnosed with sculeolisis at age 11.And arthritis at age 6 in my legs and asthma at 14. If that helps. What do I do for acid reflux anyways.
Just tonight i discovered the same noise you all described. please post any findings. I am really frfreaking out.
I am 12 and i have that scratchy thingy sound er whatever .my science teacher said it was probably a lack of cartilage in ribs that makes your bones slide and move easily.   since we (probably) dont have enough, the bones scrape together causing that sound and feeling in the upper chest and lower throat area.  (Yep a 12 year old knows it) !!!!!!!!!
now that i read more posts (i figured out it was not just the one page :)) I am not really positive about that.  My science teacher just said that that was probably that.
                                        -Catherine
Tehe!! i wanted to sign my name!!!!  YAY!!!!  I hoe theres a cure for this im only 12!!!! I dont wanna have back problems or arthritus.  My mom said not to worry about it but then asked if i should see a doctor but then said to leave it alone and then asked if she should call a doctor for an appointment and THEN said I was fine and it was silly to worry about it and that i was fine!!!!  Ps shes kinda crazy
but really.  Is it a big deal. or something ill just live with.  And IS it cartilage. WAS I RIGHT?!?!? if i was yippee!! YAY!! but i dont wanna look stupid.
The sound reduces for me when raising my arms, and noticed I seem to get it after I've been doing fast heavy breathing actions like a next day result. So if your active that may be it. Mine comes and goes I wouldn't worry about it as long as your breathing okay and there's no pain how bad can it be?
Hmartley I think you are pretty correct with your response, I just wanted to say I am in my 30's and I have had this exact thing most of my life, I first noticed it when I was a teenager and it does it just as much now when I twist and breathe at the same time as it did then. I've had a lot of other health issues but nothing ever related to this. I have always been too thin, I have allergies, I do not have asthma or any other breathing problems, I've always had chest pains and mild acid reflux. I think for some people these issues are perfectly harmless, but the more you look things up online the more you will think they are a symptom of something more because there will always be someone out there that has cancer and has this same problem, or has heart disease and has this same problem, or a tumor or whatever, it doesn't mean it's related at all to the condition you are looking up, just that they have the same issue (among many other things you do not have), so REST ASSURED if you are looking here for comfort that this issue isn't something to worry about, then you have it. :)
I was doing some push ups and then doing side planks from there and when I alternated it heard a swoosh come out of my lungs (i'm presuming) each time I switch hands. freaked me out. did you find out what it was? and does that sound like what you have?

I also was recently diagnosed with slight chronic gastritis w/ very slight hiatal hernia after having an endoscopy done. How has your gastritis recovery been? Mine has been slow and been giving me anxiety which in turn probably slows the stomach healing at the same time. Anyhow, about the wheezing sound. That's what the doc told you? and has it gone away since you posted? Thanks.
I think I am experiencing the same thing. When I exercise and do turning movement its like air is pushed up and out my mouth without me breathing out with a ver distinct sound and its like I can also feel the wind in my chest! Hasnt been hapoening for very long but long enough! What the heck is going on? Not a smoker and health is pretty good!
I have the same issue every time I move from side to side! Just noticed it yesterday.
Being a massage therapist I wonder if it has to do with muscles being tight and putting pressure on areas. I'm going to ask my chiropractor about it and get a massage- I'll keep you updated if anything changes.
I just heard this sound! I was stretching my back cos is feeling very achy and I described my sound as like a heaving from my chest but could hear it right in my ears! So I googled just that and fibromyalgia came up on the nhs website! Go have a look :)
I was standing and walking with my posture as straight as possible...I twisted and moved my arms at the same time and that weird sound came out.
Im not athletic, or thin....as some were thinking was a common link.
I think its something from the back/spine that is causing this....IDK, please add ur symptoms so we can figure this out!!

F/31
no back pain
belly fat
Stood straight (as straight as possible) right b4 it happened
Have a slouch
Had a cough (last 2 weeks - dry cough)
Every time I tend to move my shoulders left and right and have my mouth open a weird sound comes out like if air is whoosing out. I am relieved that i'm not the only one with this problem. I am 19 yrs old and i use to smoke but quit already and I have 4 months wihtout smoking. I also had asthma when I was a child. I don't know what causes this but sometimes I worry.
Hi, it's hmartley again.  I'm sorry, but my previous diagnosis of pleurisy was wrong.  I got the definitive answer (for me) today by a nationally respected pulmonologist.  He has heard this sound before and knows exactly what it is.

It is costochondritis, where the costosternal joint cartilage (sternum attaching to ribs) is damaged and/or inflamed and unstable.  I have some calcification around there (CAT scan), perhaps due to arthritis (?).  This causes that scraping sound when I move, or as he prefers, "crunching."  He thinks the pressure/choking sensation may be due to poorly controlled asthma (he sees some lung obstruction).  

He's adjusted my asthma meds and says that physical therapy is a good idea.  The surgery to fix costochondritis is far worse than the condition, so we're not going there.  I just have to get used to the sound and work on posture & the asthma to get rid of that horrid pressure sensation.  Also, lay off the heavy lifting.  But I can go back to yoga and gardening, as long as I don't dig up and carry super heavy stuff by myself :)

This is a BENIGN CONDITION :)

I hope this helps you guys.  See a pulmonologist or at least an osteo Dr., though mine had never heard the sound before, ditto my GP, gastro-intestinal Dr., and  cardiologist.

Good luck!

Heather
I have the same symptoms. I don't have medical insurance so I decided to do some research. I have found these symptoms to be a trend amongst people with curvatures of the spine and other back problems. I too have a curvature of the spine and have noticed that the breathing is worse when I'm sitting somewhere uncomfortable and when I am experiencing extreme back pain, usually from sitting in an uncomfortable chair. Has anyone else noticed this?
Hi, I still have this weird sound since I first posted about it on this discussion thread back on Dec. 19, 2009. I'm still here, so it must not be fatal. :-) I think it has lessened somewhat since then—or maybe I just don't notice it as much. Yes, I do have a little curvature of the spine since childhood, and I'm thinking this is related to it.

And hmartley, thanks for posting the information on costochondritis.
Hi all. I share what many of you have - a compressed-like swooshing breath when I twist. I have had it since late teens, now 26 (f). I have slight scoliosis (which I always thought was poor posture - a medical for my job confirmed a curvature of lower spine). I also score 4 points with HMS - re previous poster (http://www.hypermobility.org/diagnosis.php). I lead an active healthy life and have a slim, petite, shapely body. I am not going to worry too much about it. I have no pain thankfully....and I try to fight against the habit of slouching, to improve posture and stregthen back/core muscles.  

I am relieved I found this forum (things like this can eat away at you, so remember to have perspective - I feel lucky this isn't a worse health issue). Stay positive and in tune with your body. If concerned, see a doctor. I think it makes sense that many of the previous posters unknowingly have a curved spine (which causes me no problems, touch wood). Might be worth looking in to. I have always noticed my lower ribs protrude slightly. Also..HMS..if you are also very flexible. (Not always a good idea to self-diagnose online!! If it is not causing problems, leave it. If you value your sleep!) All the best, Susu.

21 year old male, average height person and skinny, I do work out but nothing crazy. I do alot of cardio though, running, skateboarding. Used to run 6days a week. Doing 2-3/week atm.
Done a couple of different martial arts sports in the past, have been a skateboarder all my life. Didn't smoke till the age of 18, tried it but didn't last very long. Smoke weed with friends ocassionally but try to stay away from it lately since this 'breathing' swoosh sound when twisting upper body got me quite scared. Was afraid to go to the doc been thinking about it though.
I find alot of comfort in the fact that i'm not alone  with this  thing because I didn't know how to describe my problem. I can also crack something in my (?chest?), like I would crack my knuckles, could be related but not sure of this.
thanks :)

Yes, i noticed the same thing as well, However, i asked my sister to listen and then she told me it was normal, that she had it too. Now, we are twins (not identical) but it seems as though some people sense it more than others, and some may concentrate on the noise so much that they obsess over it, and thus it 'becomes worse'. Notice how no sound comes when you empty your lungs of air? The noise is probably appearing when air is forced out of the lungs when the upper torso is twisted and moved around, and that would explain the ache in mu oesophagus after 5 full mins of listening to myself make that noise! After you notice the noise you cant stop noticing it!
Hi.  I just read your comment.  I am searching for answers regarding my lung and/or bronchial problem for the past 7-8 months.  I am 63, almost 64.  I'm pretty sure the problem initiated last late November, 2011, when insulation was blown into the attic of the house where I rent a room upstairs.  A lot of dust came down from my ceiling during the four days the roof repair guys were on top of the roof.  I didn't even think to put on a dust mask.  Old shingles were removed.  Some new plywood boards were installed to replace the rotted ones.  New shingles were put on.  Insulation was blown into the attic.  At the least I developed an allergy to the insulation.  My chest tightens up when I am near it.  Just outside my bedroom door was a gap in the ceiling.  One-half inch of this insulation bulged out.  Finally, I persuaded the owner to fix it.  The maddening part of all this is that he and his wife (yet friends since the '80s) acted towards me as if I had holes in my head thinking my problem was the insulation.  Finally, it has sunk into their heads that I have a problem because they hear me coughing so much.  I don't have insurance and don't make a huge amount of money so don't easily go to doctors.  But, I went to a doctor in January (maybe 7 weeks after first exposure to the insulation) complaining of shortness of breath.  He pretty much foo-fooed me.  I live in a town where the religion dictates the overall attitude of the people.  The attitude is that everything is in God's hands, so there's a general non-pro-active attitude and non health attitude among a lot of people.  My idea is that #1, I should get a lung x-ray to rule out lung cancer or pnumonia.  I've discovered you can't just get an x-ray.  You have to find a doctor that deems it necessary.  I'm starting to wonder if this is a fallout of the religious attitude, also, in my town.  It is like God giving you the permission slip to take care of your health.  Also, with not a tremendous amount of money, I have to be careful that I don't spend  money with a doctor that leads nowhere.

I'm also wondering if me slouching in front of this laptop is affecting my lungs.  I've been spending a lot of time for a year and a half teaching or coaching people in other countries.  I'm helping them with their English.

Sorry this message is long.
I've been able to do this party trick since I was a kid.  I cracked up the other day when I saw my teen- ager doing this too.  It's harmless.  I was curious about the name of this mystery maneuver and was surprised to see how many posts there are - here is the best description that I found on Yahoo - it seems logical to me:  "When you twist your body, you are twisting your diaphragm and that pushes against your lungs. This is more so if you are over weight"  - Neither my son or I - are overweight by the way.... so - it's just air escaping from your lungs - it makes sense that sound would occur, because it's being forced out - not being naturally allowed to escape through normal breathing that is...
yes i have mid back pain which makes it hard sometimes to take a deep breath. This then makes anxiety worse and hence it is a vicious cycle. I have experience the strange involuntary breath when i twist my torso for about 7 years now. It seems to be worse when my back is tighter, i also have tummy problems, IBS and lots of reflux, 47, slim with a small amount of tummy fat.
Listen guys I'm a footballer and have been at an academy since I was 12 and as you may imagine their are various checks etc. when I was 14 I developed the same symptoms and informed Patrick who is an individual within the clubs medial teamr, he said the noise in most cases is related to acid reflux a condition that occurs in allot of people but unless chronic is completely harmless it just an annoyance much like an earache or headache, it has various causes but the main cause in actively fit people and also In my case was that the exercises I did during my training schedule, which enhanced stomach acid that is then pushed into the esophagus, This is most likely the common cause in young active people it also can be caused By eating spicy food, pregnancy, smoking and various abdominal excercises including sexual actions dependant on how you motion yourself. Most cases it can be cured with medication but I would advise going to a doctor if you really want the symptom gone since they can advise you and just for notification I as able to cure myself adjusting My sleeping position,via can also be related to weight gain which is what my physicist thaught but wasn't the case. Sorry if it's badly worded iPad auto correct is ridiculous
I am going to the doctor about this next week... Will post diagnosis
to all...check out environmental allergies.. from the aerial spraying ..watch on utube 'What on earth are they Spraying"
I have now seen three doctors about this. Chest xray tomorrow. I'm determined to find out what this is.
I think people are describing two different things here. One seems to be more of a wheezing thing whereas what I have and what other people have been describing is more of a bone softly grinding sensation which feels super strange. For me it feels like it comes from my upper spine and comes out my mouth, it doesn't make sense obviously why no one has been able to find out why this happens. I'm on it though!
My doctor has said he thinks it is due to hyper inflation of the lungs which can be caused by allergies, asthma, respiratory stress like colds and flu,  and change of air temp like when your in a nice warm house and walk out into the snow. If you concentrate on expelling all of the air from your lungs then twist it does (for me) seem to lessen.  
I underwent a chest xray to look into this. It came back normal but it was discovered I had pectus excavatum, which is a fairly common condition that shouldn't cause me any problem but I would be interested to know if anyone else has this and if it is related. I did suffer from pollen allergy this summer but now its colder I can still hear the noise. It does seem to be worse when I have a cough or indigestion so I think there is a link with chest inflamation (inflammation). Maybe we should try anti-inflamatory drugs? I guess if its not hurting you you should try not to worry though! My doctor did say there's a reason they don't listen to your chest when you're moving afterall!
I would see a doctor today if possible.
pectus excavatum isn't something you need an x-ray for to determine, else it just ain't pectus excavatum-ish enough :P

i think the rubbing sound people hear is the result of an inflammation of the esophagus, laryngopharynx or epiglottis or another structure in that area, maybe due to GERD or laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR). It's important to control both conditions and using antacids for a long time is a bad idea, use omeprazole instead.

i've been hearing 'the sound' for about a month and am sure i've never had it before, using omeprazole now (40 mg), will keep posted on any changes in loudness.
Yes its very minor pectus excavatum that isn't visible. Look forward to hearing how the omeprazole goes!
Viewing 201-235 comments: