Severe rib/back pain
November 2005 I was rear-ended by a DUI - had cervical sprain & broken nose and lots of aches and pains.

I've had the nose repaired (3 times now) - but my neck and back are getting worse and worse.  I've gone to my doc who just gives me more soma.  I've gone to pt - doesn't work.  I've done massage therapy - feels great at the time but as soon as I get back in the car - pain comes back.

I began chiropractic treatment a couple weeks ago - so far I'm getting no real relief.  In fact, 2 nights ago at 1:30 am - I awoke to pain so severe that I considered calling 911.  It was like a knife through the front of my right rib cage going through to the back and pain was radiating all through my right abdomen, arm, back, etc.  (FYI - I do not have a gall bladder).  I went to the chiropractor last night and she said that somehow I dislocated 2 ribs.  IN MY SLEEP???  Anyway - the pain has eased some from that - but I am wondering if this constant pain could be something more.  The pain also radiates into my legs.  I also have frequent all over aches - kind of like the flu.

My mom has a form of RA - but I was checked 2 years ago for that and it was negative.  I don't know what to do or what doctor to see - but I have got to get out of pain.  I am 36 years old and we have 5 kids and I have a job.  This pain is so debilitating!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Get to an RA doctor and have him check you for Fibromyalgia, CFS, Lupus, Lyme disease, RA and whatever else he can think of. Good luck. I feel for you, I have chronic pain and more than once woke with rib pain so bad I couldn't breath. You could be having muscle spasms from the dislocation too. You might want a muscle relaxer or get some magnesium, that helps ease muscle problems. Also soak in ebson salts bath before bed.  
I had a very similar thing happen to me, I awoke from my sleep with a feeling of a knife in my back right between my shoulder blades and slightly to the left.  I found a osteopathic manipulator after a month of debilitating pain to "fix" me initially but required several treatments and physical therapy longer-tem.  However, I am not home free.  I still have what I call flare-ups that will keep me down for 2-3 days sometimes a week at a time.  I am 33 with two kids and work full-time, no time for messing around with pain.  This has been going on and off for 5 years, ever since my first prenancy.  I fell at 4 months and knock my pelvis/scarum/tail bone out of place.  I have found ways to manage with the pain - Biofreeze, tiger balm salve, OM, PT, accupuntcure, massage, epsom salts bath, advil, specific exercises, etc... Unfortunately I feel like I can't ever exercise to the level I would like for fear of throwing something out and causing a flare-up.  I used to be very active (biking, hiking, etc...).  I hope to get to do these activities again.