Aa
A
A
Close
Severe rib/back pain
November 2005 I was rear-ended by a DUI - had cervical sprain & broken nose and lots of aches and pains.

I've had the nose repaired (3 times now) - but my neck and back are getting worse and worse.  I've gone to my doc who just gives me more soma.  I've gone to pt - doesn't work.  I've done massage therapy - feels great at the time but as soon as I get back in the car - pain comes back.

I began chiropractic treatment a couple weeks ago - so far I'm getting no real relief.  In fact, 2 nights ago at 1:30 am - I awoke to pain so severe that I considered calling 911.  It was like a knife through the front of my right rib cage going through to the back and pain was radiating all through my right abdomen, arm, back, etc.  (FYI - I do not have a gall bladder).  I went to the chiropractor last night and she said that somehow I dislocated 2 ribs.  IN MY SLEEP???  Anyway - the pain has eased some from that - but I am wondering if this constant pain could be something more.  The pain also radiates into my legs.  I also have frequent all over aches - kind of like the flu.

My mom has a form of RA - but I was checked 2 years ago for that and it was negative.  I don't know what to do or what doctor to see - but I have got to get out of pain.  I am 36 years old and we have 5 kids and I have a job.  This pain is so debilitating!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Discussion is closed
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
172715 tn?1285498090
Get to an RA doctor and have him check you for Fibromyalgia, CFS, Lupus, Lyme disease, RA and whatever else he can think of. Good luck. I feel for you, I have chronic pain and more than once woke with rib pain so bad I couldn't breath. You could be having muscle spasms from the dislocation too. You might want a muscle relaxer or get some magnesium, that helps ease muscle problems. Also soak in ebson salts bath before bed.  
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
I had a very similar thing happen to me, I awoke from my sleep with a feeling of a knife in my back right between my shoulder blades and slightly to the left.  I found a osteopathic manipulator after a month of debilitating pain to "fix" me initially but required several treatments and physical therapy longer-tem.  However, I am not home free.  I still have what I call flare-ups that will keep me down for 2-3 days sometimes a week at a time.  I am 33 with two kids and work full-time, no time for messing around with pain.  This has been going on and off for 5 years, ever since my first prenancy.  I fell at 4 months and knock my pelvis/scarum/tail bone out of place.  I have found ways to manage with the pain - Biofreeze, tiger balm salve, OM, PT, accupuntcure, massage, epsom salts bath, advil, specific exercises, etc... Unfortunately I feel like I can't ever exercise to the level I would like for fear of throwing something out and causing a flare-up.  I used to be very active (biking, hiking, etc...).  I hope to get to do these activities again.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community Resources