Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Shoulder injury

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Shoulder injury

I recently reached above my head and across my body to open a shower door. I heard a louding cracking/popping pain in the back of my L shoulder (approx. 1/3 of the way from my collarbone height to my waist). I had a severe, stabbing-style pain instantly and this has not dissapated.

I have seen doctor and am waiting to see a specialist.

Is there the possibilty I have ruptured rhomboid muscle? Or torn the ligament off the scapula which attaches to the rhomboid muscle?

P.S. Pain is fairly consistent, worse when trying to sleep. I find the pain worsened when working/moving and when tilting my head to the left while facing left.
Avatar n tn
Cracking and popping are usually associated with ligament problems.  By themselves, the symptoms aren't serious, but with pain there is a possibility that you tore a ligament.  You could try an icy-heat wrap for temporary pain relief. If the cold in the wrap bothers you, there are some that are just heat wraps. They are like large band-aids and can be worn to bed, which may assist with a better night's rest for you.
Avatar n tn
I visited Physiotherapist today and found that I'd suffered for 5 days with a dislocated rib. After some "gentle" manipulation he popped it back into place for me and told me it could take anywhere between 2-6 weeks before it feels normal again!