Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Shoulder injury

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Shoulder injury

I recently reached above my head and across my body to open a shower door. I heard a louding cracking/popping pain in the back of my L shoulder (approx. 1/3 of the way from my collarbone height to my waist). I had a severe, stabbing-style pain instantly and this has not dissapated.

I have seen doctor and am waiting to see a specialist.

Is there the possibilty I have ruptured rhomboid muscle? Or torn the ligament off the scapula which attaches to the rhomboid muscle?

P.S. Pain is fairly consistent, worse when trying to sleep. I find the pain worsened when working/moving and when tilting my head to the left while facing left.
Avatar n tn
Cracking and popping are usually associated with ligament problems.  By themselves, the symptoms aren't serious, but with pain there is a possibility that you tore a ligament.  You could try an icy-heat wrap for temporary pain relief. If the cold in the wrap bothers you, there are some that are just heat wraps. They are like large band-aids and can be worn to bed, which may assist with a better night's rest for you.
Avatar n tn
I visited Physiotherapist today and found that I'd suffered for 5 days with a dislocated rib. After some "gentle" manipulation he popped it back into place for me and told me it could take anywhere between 2-6 weeks before it feels normal again!