Sore wrist at base of thumb
I am a 24-year-old male, who hardly does any exercise but is generally in good health.  I played one game of tennis one month ago.  Afterwards I was pretty sore and stiff all over, but was fine after a few days, except for my wrist; I have had a small amount of pain in my wrist at the bottom of my thumb, where it meets the wrist on the palm side which I thought would eventually go away, but is still there now.  It doesn't hurt much except when I move it in particular ways, e.g., if I bend my wrist forward the whole way, and even then the pain is not too much.  I have a slight lump in that area as well (more than on the other hand).  I play the piano for a living and it does not really seem to have affected my playing, but that is the reason I am concerned about this; otherwise I would not worry much about it.  I have been busy playing the piano quite a lot since the tennis game.

What do you think is the problem with my wrist, and how can I fix it?

It sounds like de Quervain's tenosynovitis. It is an inflammation or a tendinosis of the sheath or tunnel that surrounds two tendons that control movement of the thumb. Symptoms are pain, tenderness, and swelling over the thumb side of the wrist, and sometimes difficulty gripping.It is diagnosed by physical examination and Finkelstein maneuver.

Treatments for De Quervain's tenosynovitis includes rest, splinting, ice compresses, antiinflammation medication  like diclofenac, and/or cortisone injection.Suregry may be required in very severe cases.

I sincerely advise you to consult an orthopedician and get it evaluated.

Hope it helps.Take care and regards.
There is a product called NewGrip wrist support that has helped my wrist tendonitis tremendously. It has also helped other tennis players.
I found it here: www.newgrip.com/wrist_support.html
jdz
A related discussion, de Quervain's tenosynovitis was started.