Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Sternum and spinal Instability

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Sternum and spinal Instability

My sternum was broken while serving in the Military 31 years ago. Can a broken Sternum that never healed cause Spinal instability?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Well, yes, and no. I know it sounds confusing but an old sternum injury would have healed by now—it could be a weak area and may result in instability, but less likely. You could be having some other spine problem that is causing instability.
This can also be due to low BP, low blood sugar, vision problems, or peripheral neuropathies.
You need to discuss this with a doctor. Take care!
I don't understand your answer. How would a healed sternum have any affect on the stability of the spine? Or any of the other things you mentioned? Just clarifying... Thanks.
I have had every blood test under the sun it feels like. I had x-rays by the nuclear Medicine Department and the x-rays lit up my sternum and rib head in my spine. The doctor's say that they can not explain why it never heeled. My question is still can a broken sternum cause unstability in my spine?
Sounds like a frustrating experience, Kenny. Interesting your sternum didn't heal, but you never may know the why of it. I do hope you get an answer re: your spinal stability question. What did YOUR doc say about that?
I am still being run thru a battery of test. I will know more about it after my next appointment on the June 6th,2011.
VA run me thru a number of Test in Nov/Dec of last year for heart problems, I have always had a fast heart beat at times after breaking sternum, but it is like taking your car to the shop for repair and they can'not find anything!!! Finally the car would not stop the Problem it was having!
I have also went thru a cath of heart with only a 20% blockage in one area, I have been put on Warfrin for that, and Amiodarone, Lisinopril, Aspirin Chew tab, Metoprolol. My Blood presure also went up. They also have me on Methocarbamol for muscle spasm in my back/Arms. I do take 1000 to 3000 mg of TX for the pain Also at Times depending on my activies which is not much anymore/Unemployed. You can ask me any question and i will try to help.(( Thank you for keeping in touch, ck aft June 6th))