Sudden sharp pain in left nostril
This has been happening on and off for a few months. When I blow my nose or even roll over on my left side I get a sharp pain in my left nostril, like someone is pulling the hairs out one by one. It makes the entire left side of my head shoot with pain and tingle, my eyes water, and I flinch. My doctor, whom I have a feeling didn't know what to make of it, says it could be allergies. But there are times when it will be fine and no symptoms, other times when I can't even touch my nose without setting it off. Although it does run, simply because it's so cold outside, the color is clear, so I know that it can't be an infection. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You may have a sore in your nose. I would try to put a little vaseline on a q-tip and put it inside of your nose
Thanks Jackie, but the pain is just under my eye, and I don't think I would be able to reach it with a Qtip.
It isn't allergies. You have an inflammation of the cranial nerves, which is generally the result of a viral infection. The infection is sometimes (but by no means always) herpes. Rarely it is due to a neuroma. The nerves are being impinged on due to swelling. Usually the duration is self-limiting from three weeks to two months. Treatment is prednisone for a week, then a taper and ibuprufin every day, 400 mg in two divided doses.