Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
Swelling in feet and legs

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Swelling in feet and legs

I have extreme swelling in my foot and leg on the right side and moderate swelling on the left leg as well.  I have had all kinds of blood test, ultrasound, MRI, EKG,   The back of my right leg is very sore.  The skin on the right leg feels tight like a drum.  I am also having trouble swallowing dry of stringy items.  It feels as if the muscles that push the food aren't working well.  The swallowing problem may not be connected to the swelling problem, but I wanted to share this info. just in case it might help in the diagnosis.  Thanks

Cathy Weaver
Apologies for the delayed response, I was on vacation.

There are a variety of reasons for leg and feet swelling, including, heart and kidney disease.  It appears that you have had a variety of tests that have evaluated for these conditions, but if it hasn't been done already, an echocardiogram and blood tests looking at the kidney function should be done.

An ultrasound of the legs can also be considered to exclude a blood clot.  

Otherwise, if the tests remain negative, compression stockings can be considered to help reduce the swelling.

These options should be discussed with your personal physician.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.

KevinMD.com
Twitter.com/kevinmd
Also, regarding the swallowing problems, evaluation with an upper GI or upper endoscopy can be considered to exclude a mass or stricture that may be impeding the proper swallowing mechanism.

This also can be discussed with your personal physician.

Thanks,
Kevin