Swollen Lymph Nodes in Neck
I am 43yo male, and recently had US and CT scan of the neck to investigate two swollen lymph nodes which were present for longer than a year in my left neck. Several nodes were found on the jugular(mid) chain, many sub-centimeter and 5 >= 1 CM the largest ones were 2.26, 1.65 and 1.55 CM. They are on both sides of the neck and under my chin as well. Nothing else was found in CTs of abdomen and groin. I have a biopsy scheduled for next month, but have read myself into anxiety attacks. I have read that anything above 1 CM is abnormal. I have no pain in the nodes themselves but have developed pain in the neck which seems like a stiff neck, and pain exists with any pressure from straining or lifting, also movement related pain in neck, chest and spine in the same region. No signs of infection at all, but do have extreme fatigue, back pain, some weight loss, among other varied symptoms. My Primary Dr said since no other enlarged nodes were found in other regions, he is not concerned about lymphoma.

Are there other conditions that could cause lymph nodes to be swollen for this length of time? Should I be as concerned as I feel about this, or is it more likely not related to something  serious? Is it possible to have lymphoma without nodes in other regions showing signs? Are biopsies only done when cancer is suspected? Any other info or suggestions are welcomed, I am not usually one to worry about such things, but for whatever reason this has me having some anxiety waiting for the biopsy.

I have a few questions for you; You mentioned that you have had two nodes on the left side of your neck for approx one year. How big are these nodes and how did you discover them?

You said you are experiencing fatigue and have other symptoms. What are the other symptoms? Do you have a fever?

Thank you for your questions.

Those two are the larger of the nodes, the 2.26 one is mid point on the neck the 1.65 is just below the back of the jaw. Initially I thought I only had the one behind the jaw, which I just happened to notice one day as it is easily felt. I had noticed some enlargement in the mid neck but did not know it was a lymph node, because it is very hard and fixed. It was not until initial Dr. visit that he said it was a lymph node. There was also some popping and clicking in the middle of my neck and when I swallow it feels/sounds like tiny bubbles are traveling back up my throat.

Sometimes I have low grade fever which comes and goes but never for very long.
Other symptoms include:

Pain in the neck which feels like stiff neck (left side)
Pain in my chest and back on the left side just below the collar bone through to just below the shoulder blade. Pinched nerve like feeling on the left side of my spine just above the trapezoid muscle.

Extreme Fatigue
Dizziness/Vertigo
Nausea
Lower Back Pain
Gastrointestinal problems.
Trouble swallowing, (feeling of food stuck in my upper chest)
Spontaneous vomiting/sudden nausea.
Small red dots in various locations, but not densely in any location
Increased taste sensitivity to spice (everything tastes spicey)
Extreme sensitivity to cold, touching ice causes severe pain in fingers.
Rash developed on elbows that does not respond to medication.
Pain in feet and lower legs, especially in the morning after waking up.

I also notice in the CT and it was later confirmed a nodule on my kidney, the radiologist believes it is a cyst, but since he didn
Have you had any blood tests done to check your liver? Also have you had a complete CBC done? If so, were results within normal limits? If not, what was abnormal?

You mentioned that you are going in for a biopsy next month. Are they removing one of the larger nodes in your neck?

I also wanted to know if you are experiencing night sweats?

Debbie

Not really night sweats, as I have read of them. Some light sweating around the back of my neck around the hair line, but not drenching sweats.

Everything on CBC and Thyroid were within normal ranges, no check of the liver.

The biopsy is a US guided FNA, on the largest of the nodes in the mid-left neck.

they removed the lymph node not ligament sorry about that
Today i woke up with so much internal pain in my left back side of my neck. I have popping/clicking when i swallow and came across this site! I am so nervous. I am the heathiest person and for the last year and a half i have had this issue. I have seen eight different ENT doctors and first it's this and then it's nothing but then it's that. When finally my dentist discovered i had eagles syndrome which was a calcified ligament on the left of my neck. I went back to a new ENT and got surgery. I have to enlarged lymph nodes in my neck and when they did surgery on the ligament that was 3.5 cm think they removed the ligament and said it came back fine. But i am still having so much pain in my chest, shoulder, head, neck, and throat. None of the doctors know anything and i am worried i am not feeling right. My temp actually dropped to 96.8 which was odd.. any one have any adive?
Can you let me know how your biopsy turns out. I have had a lymph node in my neck for 7 months that I can feel. It has not enlarged and I have no other symptoms. I am very curious.

Thanks!
I am having the biopsy tomorrow but won
Hi!

You are having it done today. Hope all goes well!
I did go to my ENT doctor about my node in May and he was not concerned at all. It actually seems to wax and wane. Please let me know how you are.

Take care,

Debbie
first time on this site...wanted to know how robs biopsy went.i have alot of the same symptoms as rob. also i'm starting to have pain in arms and legs. dont know if its related. constantly tired. ct scan also shows i have in my abdomen,and under arms... two weeks ago i had one swollen so bad in my inner thigh area could barely wak from the pain.my pcp wants me to see a hemo/oncologist... rob i pray all is well with you,deb u as well.
I have been waiting for rob to post. Hope that does not mean that the outcome of the biopsy was really bad. How long have you had your problems? What exactly is going on?

Deb
no i have expeirenced lower back pain... tingly filling in my finger tips, dizzy head, dizzy everytime i get up, low grade fevers.. headaches.. pain in the bottom of my head.. just all these things and the doctors seem to not listen or care? Robb how many doctors have you gone through?
the pain in my collarbone and back of neck had for months, but just didn't complain about it.  was hospitalized for tingling in arms and legs last month. ct scan showed showed the swollen lymph nodes in neck abdomen and pelvis......mentioned doing i biopsy. but released me telling me to follow up with the hemo/oncologist.  i pray he ok as well.
Dang I'm sorry to hear of your symtoms. It sucks that i have had to deal with doc after doc. I was healthy before, thought i had strep, saw 7 ent's got surgery and now and worse the before.. sucks..
Do you have fatige, fever, night sweats? I am worried about you and if you have these symptoms I hope that you will get a biopsy. I am curious when you started having symptoms and how things progressed. How long did it all take?
You said that you had surgery and they removed a large lymph node. What was the result of the biopsy of that lymph node?
hey deb.....some of my symptoms didn't associate with lymph nodes..had a slight heart attack 7/05....thought tingling was meds.  have sciatica as far as back pain. thought the limb pain was from cholestrol meds, but have been off that for months so its not that.. everything started within the last yr.  fatigue i associated with meds. prior to heart attack, no high blood pressure, cholestrol wasn't that high to put on meds. had just had a good stress test than bam. so to answer your question all within last yr.  blood work shows no infection.
symptoms: fatique,nausea (started last week) back pain, that feeling of something stuck in middle of my chest,pain to the touch around collarbone,neck pain figured i slept wrong, sweat all the time,pain and tingling in limbs, and the last that i can think of which is strange and its not heartburn. if i try to walk to fast or up the stairs chest into throat feels like a burning like i was cleaning something with bleach.  sorry its so long. thanks for listening.
hope all is well with u.....praying for u and rob.
Thank you. My prayers to you also.

Deb
So glad to hear your news! I was concerned about you when I did not hear back and it sure did take a long time for your ENT.
Did you receive any news in regards to all of the symptoms you have? Maybe your lymph glands are just enlarged due to whatever is causing you to be so sick.

Hang in there!

Deb
Hi new here 26 female I have had Graves which is now better, and unexplained anemia which is now better. Well I now have had swollen lymph nodes in my neck for over six months the doc did a ct and said I have lots for a adult but they are not over 1cm. Blood test do not shown ever having cat scratch or mono no infections and have tried antibo. still swollen? Any ideas?
Any other symptoms? Fever, weight loss, night sweats, itching or any pains in your abdomen?
Sorry for the delay. I finally got the test results, I went to the Dr to get them sat in his waiting room and I have been sick ever since. What I get for going to an ENT that takes children this time of year I guess.

The good news the results came back, no apparent lymphoma or metastatic cancer. He said still possibility of a lymphoma but unlikely.

The bad news, no explanation of why they are swollen. So I guess the possibility will remain in the back of my mind for a while.

Thanks Deb and others for the support! I hope you have the same if not better luck.

I have many of the symptoms that Rob has.  Swollen lymph nodes in back of neck, hard to swallow and sounds that he says he hears when he swallows, except I don't have a feeling that something is stuck in throat its kind of like its hard swallow and you can hear me swallow quite loudly when I drink something.  I have tingling sensation in my right thumb and top of hand into arm.  I have pain in the area where the lymph node is in the back of my neck and surrounding it.  I feel pretty good otherwise actually.  I would not describe this pain as unbearable more of an annoyance. In fact I always just thought I had a stiff neck.. and would always have my kids and hubby massage the back of my neck.  My husband is the one who felt the node (if that is what it is).. and, when he mentioned it, I felt it too. I have no weight loss, no night sweats, no fever, and generally feel well... I do feel tired quite a lot, but I am 44 with 6 children aged 16 to 7, so I always assume it is just my lifestyle raising all these children.  When I first mentioned to my doctor that I had pain in the neck and tingling in the fingers... he felt it was probably due a disk in my neck and wanted me to have an MRI... at the time I wasn't too worried about it and didn't botherso much, so I didn't bother to go. However, now that I feel the lymph node I will go back to see what he thinks.  One of my questions are... actually to Rob... do you have a history of problems with your teeth?  I always have and was wondering if anyone else out there that has these swollen nodes in neck also have problems with their teeth and also wondering if problems with teeth (infections and such) could cause the nodes in the back of the neck swell up. Also, the glands in the front of my neck have always been large... these problems I've experienced have gone on for years... So, I'm hoping its nothing serious because, if it is, and I have it for years.... what chance would I have?  If anyone reads this that has some more info or these symptoms too, please share.

Thank you.

Jillie717
Your teeth problems would not have anything to do with the nodes in the back of your neck. Your teeth do not drain into these nodes. They could make the nodes in the front of the neck enlarged though. If this were very serious you would have other symptoms by now. You should consider the MRI and see what is going on with your neck and throat. It is not normal to be able to hear yourself swallow.

Debbie
Hi.  I was just wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to get mono stuck in the lymph nodes in your neck.  I was diagnosed with mono in May, and have been sick ever since.  Have had fevers, not your normal fever, but usually around 97, been unbelievably tired, and have had drenching night sweats-not every night but usually at least several times a week.  I had a ct scan andit didnt show any masses just that i had a few enlarged lymph nodes.  I am going to specialists soon, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts, or had experienced similar symptoms.  Is this typical of mono?  I did have an enlarged spleen, but that seems to have settled down, the only thing they found when they did an ultrasound was that there was a possible cyst on my kidney.  Just wondering if there was something anyone could tell me??? thanks
I am new to this site. i was trying to look up information lymph nodes when i came across this site. I noticed that some of the postings have some of the same symptoms as i do. I am 26 years old. I'm in pretty good health. i have hashimoto's disease or a hypothyroid, but i have been told my levels were doing good on my synthroid. I have had these lymph nodes swollen in my neck for about 3 months now. one just under my jaw close to my left ear.. and then some going down the left side of my neck. I have been to the doctor. had blood test, a ultrasound of my thyroid (they thought it was related to that, found out it wasnt, although i do have 2 small nodules on my thyroid, they said that was normal with people with hashimotos.)and have been through 2 rounds of antibiotics. still no diagnosis. I dont have any other symptoms other than being tired some.. and my neck seems tingly sometimes.. sometimes it bothers me to swallow..but the lymph nodes make me feel like im choking all the time. . and they are alittle tender. Any ideas?? they said they may have to do a biopsy, although i pray they dont have to because i am scared to death of that. i hate needles.. especially in my neck. Any thoughts?
I am so scared!  I have had left sided abdomen pain for 10-12 months now.  I have been to MANY different docs and been in and out of the ER's quite a bit.  All bldwk and CT Scans have been normal up until NOW.  
In the past 3 weeks, I have have increase in pain in left side of my abdomen and chest pain that radiates into my neck.  I had a CT done and it came back with swollen right axillary node.  I have had 3 Mammograms and they were normal. I had a PET scan and that came back with hot spots in my Right Axillary node and my left side of my abdomen.  
I had TWO opinions on this.  One surgeon said he wanted to remove the whole lymphnode and one surgeon (breast doc) said (after and ultrasound) do not have it removed, that it was only enlarged due to an infection.
I have had night sweats, itchy skin (L) arm only, loss of apetite.  I have lost some weight, but I stopped eating white flour and sugar, thinking that may stop the itching!

I am scared of having the lymphnode removed, for fear it may damage the nerves in my (R) arm.  I have a three year old...

I am so scared!  I am having trouble functiioning in my daily life.  I dropped off my films and report to a surgeon at Johns Hopkins Hosptial today.  I am waiting to hear from him!

Questions:

Do spots light up due to infection in a PET scan?

Is a needle biopsy okay to have to start with, then if it comes back postive for something, then have it removed?

Any input would be helpful!
Thanks!

My undersanding of a PET scan is it picks up areas that are high in glucose. This would indicate possible cancer areas. I have not heard of it picking up on infections.

The other issue is a needle biopsy is not 100% accurate. A lot of times it will not pick up the cells that have the cancer in them. The only sure way to know if it is cancer would be to have a node removed for biopsy. I understand the risk of surgery and how frightening it is. I personally would want to know if I did have cancer or not. The anxiety of not knowing would kill me.

My concern for you is the pain, night sweats, itching, lymph node enlargement and weight loss, even though you have eliminated certain foods. These can all be signs of lymphoma.

Please have it checked out. If you are in the clear, you can rest easy. Please update.

My prayers are with you,

Debbie
Please let me know what happens with the ENT doctor. I am also concerned!

Debbie
Hi again,

Well.....now I have become worried.  I went to the doctor about what I thought was a swollen lymph node on the back of my  neck.  The doctor told me that although she doesn't think it is something to be REALLY worried about, that my family was right in convincing me to have the "lump" checked. She now wants me to get it examined by an ear, nose and throat doctor. Shed said it's a lump and that it is quite large and I don't have it on the other side of the back of my neck.... so she just wants an ENT doctor to take a look at it.  I wasn't even that nervous about her asking me to go to see him, because I generally feel well.  However, my sister-in-law called me and told me about her sister, who had similar symptoms to me, lump on back of neck, hand going numb (mine only gets a pins and needles sensation or a tingling though), and her sister's was malignant.  They couldn't operate on it because it was near her spine and so they put her on medication that seems to be shrinking tumor and she is doing well.  This conversation totally has panicked me now.  I have six children aged 7 to 16 and so worried now.  Her sister had other symptoms, though, that I do not have such as head aches, dizziness, and nausea.  I now moved up my appointment with the ear, nose and throat doctor to tomorrow, since, I am now so panicked.  I also have a "lymph node" right near my jaw under my left ear lobe.  This hard spot I have had over 15 years and when I had mentioned it to various doctors they never made a big deal of it.  However, it is close to the lump we found on the back of my neck. I don't know how long I had the lump on the back of my neck.  It could have been a very long time or something that has developed in the past 1/2 year or so (that's when we found it).  The neck pain I have had has been years and I always just thought it was a stiff neck, but, now wonder if it was this "lump" all along.  Anyway, I see my ear, nose, and throat doctor tomorrow and hopefully they won't find it something to be too serious.  I wish my sister-in-law didn't tell me her sister's story because I was doing fine before I heard it.  Anyway, please wish me luck and prayers that everything is ok.

jillie
when i went back to my doctor he said he didnt know what was causing the lymph nodes to be swollen so long so he Sent me to an ENT doctor. When i went to see him this week he said that it was not all Lymph nodes. He said that the Main arteries in my neck were imflamed. he told me to take 2 aleve every day for 2 weeks and that should fix the problem. but i looked imflamed arteries in neck up and it was saying all kinds of stuff about strokes and blood clots.. is this something i should be worried about?? im alittle freaked out.. im only 26 .. i dont want to have to worry about strokes and stuff? please if you know about that can you explain really what it is?
I feel for all of you that are having health problems.  I have spent thousands of dollars on doctors that tell me nothing.  For the past year i have been suffering from swollen lymph nodes in both sides of my neck, weight loss, hair loss, broken blood vessels all over my body, headaches, chest pain and breathlessness, tremors and recurring eye infections.  The doctors keep tellin me there is nothing wrong and I'm at my wits end.  I feel horrible every day of my life.  Does anyone have any advice as to where to go at this point?
What tests, if any, have you had done?
hi i was just wondering if someone could help me.. im a 14 year old girl and ive got very swollen lymph nodes on both sides of my neck for about 2 months. ive also bbeen very tired and lost some weight, had quite bad headaches, been feeling very dizzy, blurred vision and ringing in my ears. ive been to my GP and im being transferred to a paediatrician but i was just wondering if someone could possibly give me some information? thanks, izzy.

I have a swollen lymph node just above my collar bone, I am now 25 and at 18 I had one removed from the side of my neck which all came back clear. I am from the UK and over here no biopsy or scans seem to be done. When I went to my doc I was referred to a plastic surgeon because of the area, to have it removed. Yesterday I was due to have it removed under a local anathetic (the same as my last) however the surgeon said as it was above my collar bone it would be too risky as so close to nerves so next week I am going back to have it done under gereral. I have had no test done so far and only want it removed as it sticks out my neck slightly. As much as I read I don't seem to find anyone else who has a glad enlarged in this place. From where I had one removed years ago another has appeared under the skin and is about the size of a golf ball also I can feel small little lumps on top off the collar bone area on the other side but more on top of the shoulder area - is anyone suffering with glands in these places??I feel no other glands in thsi area.
I am sure all is OK but still I am obviously curious and I got the impression from the surgeon there was more to it.
Good luck to you all who are in the same position - any advise would be fab!
I am a 53 year old female who suffered a stroke last year. I also had a stent put in LAD artery. Went for a sonogram of my carotid arteries afew weeks ago. A 1.8 enlarged node was noted. Was sent to an ENT surgeon . Had an ultrasound of my thyroid last week here are the results. Both thyroid lobes are mildly enlarged and somewhat heterogeneous. The right lobe measures 4.5x1.5x1.3cm with no nodules. The left lobe measures 4.8x1.5x1.3cm with subcentimeter nodules or cysts with debris in the lower pole measuring 0.50.3and 0.3cm. A lymph node is noted lateral to the upper pole of the left lobe of the thyroid gland measuring 2x0.7x0.7cm. I have been having gastrointestinal pain and went for a cat scan last week waiting for results. I get really bad hot sweats on and off during the day and at night. do you think this could be from the enlarged lymph node. I am so worried Past few days I have pain in left side of neck and side of head. need advise on what I should do next.
Hi again
ENT surgeon called last night said I need to have a needle biopsy of the enlarged node near my thyroid. I am alittle scared cause I have to go off of my blood thinners for 5 days. I hope this is not a serious problem an enlarged node I am still getting night sweats and I have left sided abdominal pains. just had a cat scan of stmach to see if it is diverticulitis.
make that three large
I have had swollen lymph nodes in both side of my neck for about a year.  My doctor cannot find any source of infection either.  She told me a previous infection that has since cleared up could have caused the nodes to swell, and in some people the lymph nodes just never go back to their normal size.  If you're feeling ok otherwise, and your doctor is aware of the problem, I wouldn't worry yourself.
Have you been tested for specific diseases? How large are your lymph nodes? Over 1 cm in size?
I have had numerous tests done.  CT of the head, abdomen, chest.  Echocardiogram, blood work (including thyroid), I have had a colonoscopy, chest X-ray...etc.  I feel so horrible everyday, I can barely get through a work day.  Headaches, sweating and horrible chest and abdomen pain have really been getting to me.
HI everyone,

I just found this forum.  I have two larger but still smaller than 1 cm nodes on the left side of my neck that have been accompanied by other less noticable ones on and off.  I have been to the doctor and she can't find a source of infection.  I have also had a CBC done but don't yet have the results.  I have no fever although I have had a headache the past few days primarily with pain and stiffness in the  back of my head and neck.  However, I do get bad headaches and stress disrupts my neck and shoulders so I don't know if it is a symptom or normal.  I also have a sharp pain that comes and goes in my lower back/rear toward the left side.  I am tired, but not extremely so and figured it was just winter.  I have only had these for one week but I hear over two or three you should go back to the doctor??  It seems that everyone else has had there symptoms for months to years, but to be honest I am worried now and waiting every day for my lumpy neck to go away.  Do you think I should be concerned??

JDeannn
Hi again. I went to the ent surgeon again and was told that the enlarged 2cm lymph node that is in the left lobe of ythe thyroid is very deep and that is why I can't feel it. I am going to have a FNA next week. I am worried because I get the night sweats and now sometimes during the day I get this very hot feeling and the sweat pours down my back. Do you think the sweats could have something to do with the enlarged node. please answer me back
From what I have read, drenching night sweats, fever, fatigue, unintentional weight loss are all symptoms of lymphoma. How bad are the night sweats and do you have any of the other symptoms?

Debbie
Hi Debbie  I am tired and my voice gets hoarse at times but no fever. I am having a needle biopsy of the enlarged node in a week. They say its 2cm but its deep in the left lobe of thyroid thats why I can't feel it. I havve also read that it could be lymphoma but I have not lost any weight. thanks for getting back to me I will keep you posted about my biopsy

Arley
I have had swollen lymph nodes for several months, and just got the  results back from the MRI that my ENT ordered, here are the findings from the report.

FINDINGS: There are numerous lymph nodes in both sides of the neck both in the anterior and posterior triangles. The largest is probably adjacent to the right submandibular gland. It measures 2.3 cm. Numerous other lymph nodes measure more in the vicinity of 1.0 cm. The oropharyngeal area and airway appear normal. Submandibular glands appear normal. The thyroid appears normal. The vessels appear normal.

IMPRESSION: Bilateral abnormal number of lymph nodes. Also abnormal in size. Etiology uncertain. Consider lymphoma. Recommend CT chest, abdomen and pelvis. (END OF REPORT)

My ENT opted to schedule me for a CT guided FNA (fine needle aspiration) of one of the lymph nodes. I am now waiting for authorization from my HMO. Should hear something in a couple of days.

Max M.
I am sorry to hear this. A needle biopsy is not 100% accurate. Usually the doctor cannot obtain enough of the cells from the biopsy to render a dx. What you want is for a lymph node to be removed for biopsy. Then the entire node and cells can be looked at. Usually what happens in a FNA biopsy is it comes back benign and you still have your symptoms or the doctor then requests a full biopsy. You might as well push your doctor and insurance for the complete biopsy.
Let me know how you do.

Debbie
I have had tests done for Thyroid, HIV, Hepatitis, Cat Scratch Disease, and numerous other blood tests for who knows what.  My doctor said the lymph nodes in my neck are palpable, but they are not growing and still very small.  I have a large lump in my armpit as well, but a saw a surgeon and she felt that it was nothing to worry about.
I am an ovarian cancer patient and have been on chemo now off and on for 5 years. I have had no voice for 5 months and was told it might be a reaction to a chemo drug. I decided to go to an ENT on my own, first they gave me Nexium thinking I had acid reflux which had contaminated my vocal cords but I took the pills for 2 weeks with no results. I went back to ENT then he sent me for a CT scan of neck and chest. It showed enlarged lymph nodes in throat area (which is reason for no voice I guess) and in subclavical?? area. The ENT would not do anything himself he referred me back to my oncologist. The oncologist looked at the scan results and immediately put me on a different chemo drug (I had been taking Avastin and Taxol every other week) - the new drug is Carboplatin. He said it would shrink the lymph nodes. I asked about surgery on the nodes?, a biopsy? he said no the new chemo drug would do the trick. He did decide to send me for a petscan which I will have tomorrow.
I have been reading all your entries and am praying for all of you but no one has mentioned losing their voice. I would like to hear from anyone who has.
tx
Hasimots's thyroiditis has been linked with thyroid cancer.  My daughter's thyroid became enlarged when she was 14 years old and also had a lymph gland become enlarged near her clavical (breastbone).  She was diagnosed with Hasimoto's and put on Synthoid.  That caused the swelling to go down and she seemed ok for several years.  Untimately, we moved and a new doctor took her off of the Synthroid.  Then her thyroid and the same lymph gland once again started to enlarge.  She had a biopsy and we found out that she had thyroid cancer, stage II.  This past January she had her thyoid and all the lymph glands on the right side of her neck removed at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center at Houston.  She is now 18 and just had a radioactive iodine body scan and came back totally cancer free.
dd3
I have commented in other forums but this forum seems to target lymph nodes. I hope everyone is OK and their tests are OK. I too have a cyst on my kidney, which has been there forr years and has not grown. Nothing to worry about. I have had symptoms of fullness in the throat for about 11 years, which I think is swollen lymph nodes. Had a full body cat scan which shows no abnormal nodes but my armpits are really woleen now. I realize that this could be a precursor to lymphoma but I have not heard CFIDS mentioned in here at all. I think that many have CFIDS and because its a new "syndrome" and there is no real way to diagnose it, that many doctors will not recognize it as legitimate. www.cfids.org should give answers. I am in the same boat with many of you (for about 11 years now) I too have spent thousands on doctors to no avail. I also no that it has caused anxiety (which I can recognize) migraines-which I take Maxalt for, GERD-which I take nexium for, and now my bones, muscles ache.  Good luck to all of you, hope you find the answers you need.  God Bless.
I have lymphadenopathy on my right side of my neck and collar bone area involving a couple of nodes. I also have enlarged salivary glands. The salivary glands have been enlarged for a number of years, and I just ignored it, and doctors never asked about them in numerous exams. I recently found out the hctz I was taking for hypertension could cause inflammation of the sub-mandibular salivary glands. My GP thought he felt an ill-defined lump in my left breast (I am a male) and because my mother died of breast cancer at the age of 47 he ordered both mammograms and ultrasound to rule out breast cancer. He has also ordered CBC and TSH blood tests among others including HIV. He is out of the office and I won't have a visit until two weeks. However the US and Mammographic Tech said they saw nothing unusual. I have also had a chest xray which came back as normal for my age. I also am experiencing stiffness in my neck and itching around the collarbone and neckline. In fact it was the itching that made me discover the swollen nodes. That is when I went to the Dr. The itching has been going on for the better part of 3-5 months more or less. Any input from you would be appreciated. Thank you. TPJ92104
My concern for you is moreso with the lymph nodes in the collarbone area. There is nothing that "drains" to these nodes to make them enlarged. This is why it is suspicious when there is enlargement in this area. My advise to you is to push for a biposy of a node in this area. You need to know what the nodes in this area are responding to.
Doctors are reluctant to biopsy a node unless it is "BIG". You may have to really push to get this done.
Let me ask you this, are you noticing any of the following symptoms?: fatigue, low grade fever (does not have to be constant), night sweats.
I will check back to see what you respond with.

Thanks,

Debbie
New to the forum (hello) and just wanted to add to the the lymph node discussion.  I noticed small little lumps around my jaw and along either side of my neck about 8 months ago.  After asking around, I found out they were swollen lymph nodes.  They have been swollen since.  And since then, I've had swollen glands around my collarbone, in and around my armpits, and around my groin.  Its on both sides of my body, and some of the nodes are quite large.  Anytime I notice a new one, its because its quite tender to the touch, and sometimes even general movement (especially in the armpit).  I haven't gone to a doctor because I don't have health insurance and couldn't possibly afford to get any major tests done.  
I haven't had any recent infections.  I've been experiencing fatigue, but nothing caffeine won't cure.  In general, I feel alright... but not great.  Fatigue is the biggest thing.  I used to have to sleep with a bunch of blankets on my bed (even in the hot summer) and now I can't stand to have more than a sheet or light blanket on me.  I get too hot.  
Any insight, or a place where I could find some free or low cost treatment would be very helpful.  Thank you!
Hi, i am 23, female and scared as hell. All began with swollen lymph node on under my left ear. Soon after noticing it i had extreme pain in my tonsils/throat and neck glands. I soon developed a fever. I was extremely tired and all i could do was sleep, i also had pains in both my left and right side abdomen under my ribs. I became breathless and started to get alot of clear mucus come up. Since being bed ridden, i still have ongoing symptoms.
I have been tested for all STD's (HIV, heps) EBV, mono, strep, cat-scratch, lymes etc all neg
CBC was normal but towards the end of my illness my liver enzymes were raised including biliruben (i was jaundice and still am a bit). Chest x-ray clear, ultrasound of upper abdoman normal. ESR, ANA, FILM normal also.
Since tests more lymph nodes have swollen on both sides of my neck in a line they are soft and squishy. The one under my left ear is harder. My ears constantly ring and still have some pains in my sides and sometimes my left shoulder. I still feel like i cant get my full breath of air in. I get hot during the days but my feet are always cold. Have some sweaty nights (boyfrield noticed, i did not know) and still am tired a fair bit.
Doctor gave me anti-biotics for infection (without knowing if i had one or not) and has done nothing. He told me that lymph nodes were too small to biopsy.
If anyone could please help me -

If i am getting better shouldnt lymph nodes be going away not coming up?
If chest x-ray is clear and CBC is norm what could the short breath be from?
What other tests can i get done if they will not do a biopsy to rule out cancer/lymphoma?

Please help me out anyone
Thanx
Have you been to an ear, nose & throat doctor? It would be a good idea to have a node biopsied. This is the only way to find out what is going on.

Debbie
Hi I am Vivienne andf new to the forum ..I am 49 and last week I was feeling unwell ..flu like symtons..but it seemed to pass ..I then took a lump on the left side of my neck ...and stinging type pain in certain areas of my head ..I was flying from Scotland to Canada on Saturday and had the pain in my head all day ..when I arrived withing a half hour period the pain in my head had gone but my lymph glads had swollen all over the back of my head ..left hand side ..I went to the doc here who never really said anything except to frighten me as she said if they did not go away ..they would do blood work as it might be serious ..so I have been in a state of panic ever since ..I have decided to go back tomorrow for the blood work as I dont want to wait ..te stinging sensation is still there in the lymph nodes and its hard to forget about about it ...has anyone else had this before ..?

I've had several swollen lymph nodes at the right side of my neck in the past year.  My ENT surgically removed the largest one measuring 3.5 cm in January of this year.  It was biopsied and came back as a reactive lymph node; no other explanation.  Well, 8 months later, I still have other swollen nodes.  I have to go back next week for another cat scan.  I'm very worried.
I have a lymph node that is at the base of my skull that is hard and every once in a while I get a really bad headache where the node is.   Could the node be hitting a nerve or something.  I also have a lymph node on my collar bone that is hard, this is all on my left side.  My left breast is always a problem too.  The doctor always says "go have a mamm. NOW"  I do and they say they can't really tell because I have thick tissue.  I have a mamm. every 6 months to see if anything has changed.  Do you have any idea of what can cause these things.

LYMPHNODE
Did your nodes pop up and grow fast or had you had them for a while?

Deb
Yes, the node could be hitting a nerve. I am surprised that your doctor did not do a CT or ultrascan of the area. The node in the collar bone region is the one that is more of a problem. I don't want to scare you but these are the "more dangerous" of the nodes especially on the left side. If I were you I would go to an Ears, nose & throat doctor and have this evaluated. Please let me know how you are.

Deb
Hi again,

I had a few of them for a while, but the recent ones just popped up and grew fast..very weird!  
It seems like you may have something going on with your immune system. When you see your doctor ask about seeing a rhumetologist. It may be that there is something going on. If you are not experiencing any other symptoms of lymphoma at this point I would not worry about that..
Deb

I actually did see a Rhumetologist after my first surgery due to arthritis pain.  I had a bunch of tests and everything was fine except for having a false positive result for RMSF.  They gave me strong antibiodics for a week just to be safe.  Other symptoms that I've been experiencing include fatigue, body pain, headaches, weight gain, sweating at night and it's very hard for me to get up in the morning.  I hate feeling like this!  The swollen nodes I have now are under the submandibular gland. The one I had removed was a cervical lymph node.  All on the right side.  I'm going for my Cat Scan tomorrow morning and back to the ENT on Monday morning for my results.  Wish me luck!
I do wish you Good Luck! Please don't forget to post the findings. I am pulling for you!

Deb
Hi Deb,

Thank you for your response - I just got my labs yesterday.

US/Mammograms negative.
X-ray clean.
HIV-Negative;
TSH 4.39
CBC Panel unremarkable
SED rate only 1

However I am concerned about the things the Dr. really could not explain away.

1.  ANA Screen came back positive with a titer of 1:80 - pattern is speckled.
2.  CMV IGG came back positive @ 3.62 where 1.10 or > is positive.
3.  Epstein-Barr Virus VCA - positive at >5.00 where >1.10 is positive.

He is referring me to both an ENT specialist for a workup as well as a surgeon for possible removal of the 2-3 lymph nodes for pathology tests.  He said since my SED rate is only 1 that systemic inflammation or disease is unlikely.

In response to your direct questions, I am not aware of any low-grade fever. I am tired a lot, but I work a very physical job and I am 57 years old. Night sweats, other than seasonal sweats since I live without AC, have not been noticed. I do have considerable stiffness in my legs, back and neck in the mornings. I have also had fairly frequent rib pain in the lower rib cage (false rib area) for the past year. My doctor seems to think I pulled a rib and it will take forever to heal from what I understand. Just touching them (both sides) can be painful.

Thank you for getting back to me. I hope to hear from you if you have any suggestions or ideas. I won't be seeing the specialist for a few weeks probably. I am calling Monday for an appointment with the ENT. I am going to hold off on the surgeon until I see the ENT doctor and get his feedback.
Hey all.  I'm new to the forum and have been reading all of the posts.  I don't mean to make light of anyone's situation.  We all have an obligation to ourselves and our families to investigate anything that we think could be wrong with our health.  That being said, I couldn't help but to comment on some of the negative emotions people are expressing in these posts.  Being "extremely worried" or "scared as hell" or
"panicked" are not good responses to any of your problems, even if the problems themselves are very real.  That type of thinking is extremely degenerative and counterproductive.  As a semi-recovered hypochondriac I can tell you that these emotions only lead to more symptoms.  It's an incredible snowball effect and if you think it can't happen, please, believe me, it can and will.  Some of you have described yourselves as "not being able to make it through the day."  There was a time in my life when I could not get out of bed in the morning, or function at all during the day because I was so overwhelmed with panic about my health.  This while being a perfectly healthy 21 year-old college athlete.  I was never a hypochondriac growing up but a simple stomach virus that went misdiagnosed sent my life into a tailspin from which I was absolutely certain I would never recover.  That is how powerful hypochondria can be.  I can almost guarantee that some of you have experienced symptoms that you did not notice before reading posts on this site.  I checked out the site because I have had a single, swollen node (or something) in my left neck for about 4 years and was curious.  It is not painful, and  has not changed size since I noticed it.  I have no other symptoms, and am a healthy person.  However just reading these posts I felt myself getting dragged back into the mental abyss that is hypochondria.  A good rule of thumb is that if you have to question whether or not any symptom is real, chances are it isn't.  I urge you all to be honest with yourselves when telling your Dr.'s about the symptoms you are really, truly experiencing.  When you present this to your doctor it will help him or her make a more accurate diagnosis.  Back when I was a full-blown hypo I went to doctors all the time and I soon found that Doc's are suspect of patients who present with multiple, often unrelated symptoms.  Again, I don't want to sound like I'm not sympathetic to what you all are going through, and I'm not suggesting that you're all hypochondriacs.  I just wanted to give some advice.  I know you've all wished that you could go to be one night and wake up tomorrow and everything will be fine.  Rest assured that as long as the first thing you think about when you wake up in the morning is your health, it won't.  Take a deep breath and relax.  Try to stay away from the internet sites.  If symptoms are real, you don't need WebMD to identify them for you.  You'll know it.  Feeling like you're facing imminent death will not help you, whether you're sick or not.  Wish you all the best.

-AP
Thanks for your concerns, however letting serious symptoms slide for fear of being labeled hypochondriac, is a price one must pay. My mother had the same feelings and died of metastasized breast cancer at the age of 47. Not being concerned could cost you your life. I am glad your situation turned out to not be life threatening and did not progress to a more complicated situation, but not everyone will be as lucky. I have a wonderful doctor who listens and cares, and takes me seriously. My advice to those posting on this chat room is to take everything seriously. To do otherwise may cost you your life.

tpj92104
Sorry to hear about your mother, and as I said in my post, I'm not saying everyone in here is a hypochondriac.  If you have serious, noticeable symptoms, they absolutely should be adressed, and you should seek out every medical professional necessary until you get someone to listen.  My main point is that everyone should be cautious that anticipating the worst in any situation rarely leads to the best.  A positive outlook is always helpful, and allowing your worry to control your life can be destructive.
Hi...
I am new to this discussion. I have 2 swollen lymph node on both sides of my neck and 1 behind my ears. I have it for abt an year now. i am 25 yesra old. I got all my test done but no sign of any disease. I ma having pain in my neck and back, but i think thats coz of my proffesion which involves long sitting hours. I had my US done too. but reports were normal. I am really scared as there is no reason for that. They are neither increasing nor decreasing in size. Please let me know if any one knows any possible justification for swollen lymph nodes for this long period.
Thx Garv.
Hi guys im new here as well. I have had a swollen lymph node on the right side for 4 years now. It hasnt changed in size it doesnt hurt , and its located right under my chin  on the right side. I have been going to my doc asking her about it she kept saying it was fine. It has been stressing me out so much i finally demanded she send me for an ultrasound . The results came back and she said it was noticibly larger than the other side. She said the good thing was it was only the one node that was big and it hadnt chaned size or anything. I had a CBC done and my white cells were good but she checked my ESR? I think thats what it is and it showed an inflamation in my body somewhere but she doesnt know where. she told me to go see a dentist to rule that out so i did and i have a calcium buildup on my teeth on that side on the outside of my teeth and a wisdom tooth still in the root but teh dentist said she couldnt see an infection. So i had an xray done, and you can see the node on it and it has white dots in there. The other side was clear . IM SO freaked out now. Th e dentist said it was calcified but she hadnt seen anything like that before.So im going back to my doc with the xray pic. Has anyone heard of anything like this?? Can anyone give me some input?? Thanks for your time . Gail
I am a 29 year old woman and I had a lymph node that was swollen way beyond the upper limits of normal.  I was being seen for something else when my ENT started stressing about the lymph node instead.  It had been swollen for so long that I didn't even think anything about it.  They tried giving me different antibiotics for strange things like Cat Scratch Fever and such, and after two CT's and a MRI, I had surgery to have the lymph node removed.  Everything came back fine and they said it is just one of those things they can't explain.  About a month after my surgery, another lymph node to the left of the one they took out has swollen up as big as the one they removed!  It has been a year and a half since they surgery and it is still swollen. They say not to worry, that sometimes lymph node swelling is unexplainable.
Sometimes nodes will swell due to infection and then never ever return to their previous undetectable size. As long as they do not grow, are not rock hard and you do not have any of the following symptoms: fatigue, night sweats, fever, weight loss, itching (terrible itching) then you really should be okay. Also, nodes over 1 cm should be investigated further. It seems that so many people experience nodal enlargement. I myself have one on each side of my neck and have had them for 1 1/2 years. I have done extensive research on them. I hope this helps!

Debbie
I have been going in for blood tests for the past 2 weeks. I had been having fevers about 2 times a month with night sweating. I do have fatigue, but I have 3 kids including a baby.  Well, the tests kept turning up false positives. For West nile & lupus. It did show high platelets and poor liver function. I had a CT and it shown a few swollen lymph nodes in my abdomen. I'm now being referred to a GI specialist. All the waiting is so hard. I of course expect the worst. My son had leukemia, so the doctors telling me it would be rare for it to be serious provides little comfort. Thanks for any input. Dyan
Hey guys thanks for your input. I have just been so stressed about this situation. Im 29 years old too by the way. As i said i have had it for 4 years and its just recently my doc checked me. And when it came back showing as larger , thatS when she shows some signs of concern. M y biggest concern wa s that my ESR was off. So she said she we would have to find out why and i am extremely worried about that. I had a sinus infection when i got my blood test done. Does anyone know if that would affect my  blood test results at all? I just dont know why its off. Also when i had my teeth xrayed i could see the lymph node on my right side it has like white dots in it and the other side was clear. The dentist said teh white spots looked like calcium. Has everyone ever heard of something like that appearing on a lymph node? So automatically i started to panic Considering you couldnt even see the lymph node on the other side. I have to go back to my doc on thurs to tell her about my dental checkup. I also talked to a doctor friend of mine in a diff city and he said same as my doc. I asked him if i should get a biopsy and he said teh same thing if it hasnt changed size and the only symptom i have is fatigue but thats just from work and stuff. He said i should get my doc to check my esr again and check my calcium levels.  He said he didnt think there was a need for a biopsy it would just leave a scar and stuff but he said just to keep an eye on it. Thank you so much guys for listening to me and giving me your input. Sorry this is so long im just a big worrier. Thanks again .. Gail

There are a couple of people in here who may want to consider getting tested for lyme disease and/or visiting the CFIDS Association of America website and taking their online questionnaire, "Do I have CFIDS ?".

Also, 25% of CFIDS patients' have a positive ANA titer.
I am a 29 year old male.  I've had swollen lymph nodes in the neck as long as I can remember, but not incredibly swollen where it's been a big problem.  I also have TMJ which contributes to swallowing problems, i.e. something i've always just called a "throat thing."  But back to the point:  I went to the doctor as a child (probably about 8 yrs old) because my mom was worried about the bumps on both sides of the neck, below the jaw.  The doctor said I had swollen lymph nodes and told me to get off caffeine until they went back to normal.  I did that, but have pretty much included caffeine ever since and have attributed the swollenness to caffeine.  I haven't read any posts in this forum that mention a doctor ever mentioning this to them, so perhaps it could help someone?  Try backing off caffeine (if you can!), and monitor the lymph nodes.  Peace and God's Grace be with you all!
I want to clarify- I did get off caffeine after the doctor visit as a kid and the nodes did indeed go back down.  Slowly as I got older I got back into the caffeine and to this day i can feel the swollen nodes.  Everytime I feel them I think about that doctor's instructions and wish I could leave caffeine alone.  I wonder if there was any truth to his recommendation?  
I am new and just wanted to post maybe an opinion....I have been reading everyones posts and it seems everyone has the very same symptoms.  If you can, can you please think back as to what types of medication have been taken through the course of the year or years? I only ask, as I know certain medications in time can cause things to happen later on.  Could you please try to think and if you can, go on line and look up the medicationstaken to see what they can actually cause?  I know some can acutally cause long term damage.  I am not trying to scare anyone, just taking another course in hopes for resolution.  I too have lymph nodes in the back on my neck with pain....and have been checked time and time again for lymphoma.  Same thing, difficulty swallowing, pain in back of neck when nodes act up, and up set stomach along with fatigue.  I was tested last year and nothing.  It's back so I am not sure really, what's going on.  I don't want to work myself up into a frezy...Oh yeah, I almost forgot....I also experience light sensitivity as well.  I tried everything, sleeping and resting more, eating healthier...not sure if by now at this point I have just given in to it being stress related with no other cause. I know stress can wreak havoc on your body.....Not sure....Hope you all take care and I will pray for you and if I do come up with anything, I will let you  know.  It's the most frustrating thing to go through, especially after you have been to all the doctors and no one can find a thing wrong but the symptoms persist.......It's like having no closure.....Please take care......
Four weeks ago after what I thought was my usual sinus headache/face pounding stuffiness, I felt two nodes on the left, one cervical smaller and one larger near the collarbone.  I went to my doctor's associate because he wasn't available that day , went on 10 day round of antibiotics, no change; Then another antibiotic; another doctor looked, another antibiotic.  I finally sawy my own doctor last Thursday.  He sent me to a surgeon on Friday.  I am having a node biopsy under general anesthesia on Tuesday.  My own doctor showed immediate concern. I  am 69 and just retired from teaching on May 29.  I am nervous as I have never had general anesthesia and of course, because lymphoma is the most obvious diagnosis  I have had no night sweats, no itching, just loud tinnitis, facial ache and headache, tingling in left hand, and anxiety. I just need to feel someone is out there hearing me.
I just posted my first post to DEB, but I wanted to ask anyone who will just talk to me to go ahead.  In addition to what I said in that post, I wanted to add that I have excellent blood pressure, weigh what I did in high school, ran around after six graders for years, but have for many years experienced what I thought was extreme allergy, sinus irritation, etc.  I have had a july mammogram tht was fine, a pelvic MRI in March that was o.k., a colonoscopy and double contrast barium five years ago o.k; a MRI of head 4 years ago, o.k., An ENT evaluartion 4 years ago, no real disease to evaluate.  The tinnitus has been at 6-10   on a scale of 1-10 for five years, but recently feels like a 15.  That and the facial pounding sent me to the doctor.  I kept smelling strange things when my clogged sinuses opened like chicken soup, celery, or things I hadn't eaten.  Other people's colognes, etc. just literally assaulted me and I had to back up. My body feels as if it is buzzing at times.  The pressure in my face is there all the time.  After the bouts of antibiotics and the anxiety, I am not hungry at all, but I am attempting to eat something anyway.  My neck feels stiff, but I own up to being stressed so who knows?  The lymph node near the collarbone is the one to be surgically removed day after tomorrow.  Because of my age even though I have been in good health and worked hard up until 3 months ago, I am apprehensive not for dying, but for all the stuff all these people I read about have to go through for the time they have left  I know my four daughters will insist on my doing whatever treatment is out there because their father died of multiple myeloma 20 years ago, and their only brother and my only son died in an accident 2 years and 9 months ago.  I havent felt normal since that day. My girls are afraid, but supportive and trying to stay semi-positive.  This has been a hard month, and something definitive should come by the end of next week or so after the biopsy.  I need to talk to people on here because it is so hard to lay everything on my girls and even my friends.  I thank you for just being out there to talk to me. Sorry for being so windy.  Ex-teachers are usually very talkative.
Hello, Sorry you are going through all of this stress right after retirement!
The node by the collarbone is concerning. This is why it is being biopsied. Your doctor is correct in just having this procedure done. A lot of people get the run around and have numerous test before bipsoy. Nodes by the collarbone have a higher percentage of being malignant. (not trying to scare you). Have you felt tired and fatigued lately? Hopefully it will be nothing, just a reactive lymph node. I do ask that you post your results to me as I really want to know how you are.

Please try not to worry I will pray for you,

Deb
I had the biopsy on Tuesday under general anesthetic.  The surgeon told my daughters it was huge and he thought the worst when he first saw it, but during the biopsy, it popped open and pus exuded which made him feel there is some kind of infection that did not respond to the antibiotics and he plans to have it cultured, but often that doesn't reveal anything.  I have not heard from the biopsy itself and it is now Saturday morning.  I am to go back next week to check the incision.  My daughters felt very optomistic, but I am still terriby nervous, have sinus symptoms, and feel tired.  I will write when I know more definitively if that is possible. Last Monday was a whole month since I first went to the doctor complaining of my usual sinus headache, severe tinnitus, and some tingling in my left hand which doctors attribute to my neck stiffness.  I am weary, but trying to manage.  I have stayed with one daughter a part of the week, and another stayed with me.  I have been alone the last two days and am trying not to bother them even though I am nervous.  I took the first valium of my life this week.  Thank you for writing me back.  
Please hold good thoughts for me.  I get my biopsy results tomorrow at 3:30.  I made a hemotology/oncology appointment for the following Monday whether I need it or not.  Thanks for listening.  I am not having a good day today.  I have an upset tummy and my old hemorrhoid problem has revisitied me in full force.
Good thoughts are coming your way! It does sound like it was an infection. Usually they won't call you with results when they know you are coming in. Please let me know what you find out.

Your tummy is probably upset because you are nervous.

Take care of yourself!

Debbie
I went to the surgeon yesterday.  The three usual tests from the pathologist for lymphoma came back negative, but because of its size, location, and my age, the path has sent it off to another place for more definitive gram staining.  That will be back by the end of this week so I am still in limbo, I guess.  My surgeon thinks the outcome will be good, but he wants to be certain. I have a hemo appointment on Monday that I will keep if I am told to by Friday for more definitive work.  Thanks for replying.  The stress has been tremendous.  My daughter took me out to eat and I ate a little last night and tried to sleep some also.  Thanks again.  I will write later.
I felt all right when I first got up.  I drank a cup of coffee and then the explosive diarrhea started.  I felt slightly squeamish and very nervous again because that meal didn't stay and I felt like I needed it because I had had nothing else yesterday but a cup of yogurt and tea.  My belly isn't cramping much, but everything came out and I feel weak and scared again.  I was so hoping for a good day today when I would feel like doing something.  I haven't vacuumed in four weeks now and would have liked to try it today, but now I am too tired.  I don't like my lack of courage and strength these days.  I am disappointed in myself because I used to be so strong.
Don't beat yourself up. This is SO VERY scary! Once you know 100% for sure your body and mind can relax. Be good to yourself. I am certain you are okay but the relief will be when you hear it at the end of the week!
Try to eat things like rice, bread, anything that will be bland for your tummy.
Please let me know the final results. I'm pulling for ya!

Deb  
Thanks .  I will try.  My friend who is going through chemo called today and was very supportive.  I felt guilty for being such a pain in the butt.  She is principal of a middle school and is working in between treatments.  She is a great girl! .  I will write when I know.  How are you? Sarah
I am okay. I worry myself about a node I have on the left of my neck. It is kinda in the middle of my neck on the jugular node line behind the ear. The thing is I have had this for 1 year and 7 months now. I found it by searching for it and then aggravating it because I of compulsive behavior. I do not have any lymphoma symptoms, I run 6 miles a day + work out with weight 2X per week. I want to believe that I have caused this node to stay by playing with it everyday. It is not big. It is less than 1 cm. I still worry though. I have done so much reserach because of this node. I sure thing though that I would have symptoms by now if it was lymphoma. What do you think?

Debbie
I would certainly think you would have something else by now.  Mine came up quite suddenly The one he didn't biopsy last week seems slightly smaller now.  It wasn't as large as the other one anyway.  It is higher up on the left more jugular also.  The receptionist in the hematology office just called to confirm my Monday appointment.  I don't have any results to take to them yet, but I will wait until tomorrow to see what to do about that.  This has been this hardest month for me in a long while since my son died in an accident over two years ago.  That , of course, is the worse event of my life.  My husband died of multiple myeloma twenty-one years ago, but he was so terribly ill it was like a release to let him go.  I also had five kids to finish taking care of also.  Hope yours stays nothing and you stay well.
I wish you the best!!

I am here because I have a swollen salivary gland on the right side just behind the last set of molars (felt from the inside with tongue) and a swollen node on the right side of my neck. I have been treated with antibiotics (sinus and cough cleared up, but got a yeast infection). Nodes have not reduced or gained in size.. I force my self to not touch them.
Feel fine, CBC, thyroid, blood sugar, liver panels, normal. For a year had itching and hives, placed on an antihistamine; that worked. Also read that antihistamines can case swollen salivary glands.. Stopped taking them very rarely have hives and if I do get them, I ignore them and do not scratch.. they go away.

I couldn't help but to relate to "ap75" comments. I am 43 and had NEVER been concerned about my health-- it's all good right.. positive attitude stuff.  Until I had a panic attack 2yrs ago in Dec..  2 yrs ago Feb. my daughter attempted suicide (thankfully I was home to help her) from thereon I home schooled her and nursed her back to health. I never took time to grieve. (Just the flash backs of the scene I break down). That Aug. a friend of mine and I went on a long needed vacation and she asked me about my daughter.. I immediately choked upped as if I could not breathe and felt sharp pains in my chest-- this had been going on for a while. At that moment, I put the two together.  Then in Nov. while preparing Thanksgiving dinner I again had sharp pains running up and down my arms and chest pain.. (My fiancé and my family were meeting for the first time and I was planning a huge party). A week later while on vacation had a full blown panic attack.. felt as if I were having a heart attack.  Since that time, I have had anticipatory anxiety. My “ills” seem to travel throughout my body. That is, when “I fa get about it” they go away and move to another part. Also with the stress of being in an anxious state of mind I have had more colds than ever!!  

I thought I could handle the anxiety on my own--its only stress.  Went to therapy and learned relaxation therapy, I feel healthier but still have this fear of ill health. I can rationalize that I am 40+, 5 kids, totally in love with my husband, and am not ready for some terminal disease. But the DIS-EASE that I carry with me every day could create a dreaded aliment. Which is why ( I digress) that I Google every ache and pain. I know anxiety can create irrational thoughts, and in the end can manifest the very thing I fear. I am working on that. I also do not want to ignore a potentially real aliment that would confirm my daily fears. This is called a CATCH-22. Thankfully I see my therapist next week!!!!

Delph, your comments struck home to me because of the anxiety of losing a child, or in my case near lose of a child. That for me was the worse experience of my life (I have had many—so I thought) and I have never been the same since. Now I recognize a good day and celebrate. They are so rare that I say WOW, I feel good today… I feel like my normal self!!  

I wish you the best in your health and your bereavement. I hope that you will feel normal again.
Thank you for writing back.  My son had lots of problems, and had come back to me three years before his death after a bad divorce.  I pretty much centered my life around my teaching and him .  If I hadn't been at the doctor that morning, I would have been with him and the accident would not have happened.  Since it happened at my house, I moved somewhere else so I felt another loss.  My daughter went back to work teaching after home schooling for years, and I retired this year and I don't have her to talk to every day.  The neck node is very real , however.  I saw the look on my doctor's face when he saw it.  The surgeon still feels optomistic so I am calling him again today so he can tell me what to do about my hematology appointment on Monday morning.  Should I go anyway and try to find out what is wrong?  I am still trying, but I have just been sort of hanging here for a month.  I get up, bathe, try to eat, try to watch TV, try to do a few chores, and then I sit hoping I will go back to sleep for awhile.  I have to do better than this.  My doctor has suggested a therapist, but I feel like I am tasking my new medicare and my old Blue Cross Blue Shield all of a sudden when I really didn't use it that much before.  I am on no medications except calcium citrate, centrum silver, and 81 mg aspirin.  Now all of a sudden, I am having surgery, referral appointments, etc. I have had sinus symptoms for years.  Atlanta isn't the best place for allergies anyhow.  I consider every symptom now as a cancer symptom whether I have ever had it before or not.  I have diverticulosis diagnosed five years ago with a double contrast barium.  Now every time I have a bowel issue, I think the gastro diagnosed it wrong and I really have colon cancer.  He said I had strictures in my colon and that is why he didn't complete the colonoscopy.  I went back in a year and he still insisted that I just have plenty of diverticula .  I have had a pelvic sonogram, an MRI of the pelvic area in March, a mammogram in July, and routine blood work recently, all of which was o.k.   I have chronic tinnitus for over five years or more.  My only brother who is a year younger has it just as bad and he lives in Alabama.  We talk about it on the phone.  I now am relating it to the neck nodes which it probably doesn't relate to at all.  I feel alone and even take the phone into the bathroom to take a bath for the last month.  I want to do better than this .  I used to be so strong bringing up all those children by myself.  Why have I disintegrated into this weak person?  I try not to let anyone know how I really feel inside. I am glad your daughter is o.k.  Every time I see on TV the death of someone's child in accident, war, etc., I cry for them because I know now how they feel.  I empathized before, but now I really know.  Thank you for listening.  Sometimes this is the only thing I can do when I get up.
Take care of yourself. Follow your doctors advice.  Find a psychologist that believes in the mind, the body and the spirit.  You will feel better.  It is possible to have both anxiety and depression, neither of which is healthful and will impact your overall physical health.

You need to unload!!  
I am going to try.  Since I wrote this morning, I called the surgeon and they don't have the slides yet.  I called the hematologist and they said they would try to get the results for me by Monday so I am to go on to that appointment.  I don't feel well today.  My upper center back is hurting like it does sometimes anyway, but worse.  I have to try to get through today somehow.  Thank you for writing.
I came to this site trying to find out about throat and neck pain and swelling.  I have been reading everyones comments and questions.  I have not been able to stop thinking about you and your concerns.  It has helped me to not think so much about my problems.  You have to stay optomistic and never give up hope.  The world is full of people who have beat the odds and you too can be one of them.  I am praying for you and your outcome.  
I am grateful for your reply.  I am going on to the hematologist on Monday and get ready for whatever is to come next.  By the end of the day yesterday, I had my old nasal and head symptoms back.  I think everything that happens to me now relates to the neck nodes.  Things I would ordinarily have just dismissed become a part of the whole thing.  I think it is time to just get a diagnosis and stop trying to find an explanation on my own.  I hope you have a good outcome for whatever is your situation.  Please let me know how you are.
The hematologist said the last path report shows genetic marker for lymphoma so I guess I am no longer undiagnosed , but officially ready for a lymphoma forum.  I have CAT and MRI of head to toe on the Friday.  I will stay here at my house until Thursday.  I just got here after being gone two days and will have to go back so someone can go with me to the hospital.  I called my apartment manager this morning and told her I would not be renewing my lease when it comes up in February.  I told her I possibly will be leaving before then.  I need to get on with whatever I need to do.  Right now I am processing until all the tests are in and we see what is left to do or what I might consider doing.  I saw all the people in a room sitting in these litttle chairs hooked up to bags filling their bodies with poison.  I am not sure I want that.  Thanks for listening.
Is it positively lymphoma? The 1st test did not reveal any lymphoma. What is a genetic marker?
There is another forum that is really good and has a wonderful lymphoma forum area. The only draw back with it is you cannot have any outside contact with other forum people and cannot post other websites. The site is:  www.************.com. I post as Debm412. You could sign up for any name you want. I would advise joining since it will be very helpful for you.

Deb
It is ************. How strange that it marked out the website on its own.

Deb
I am so sorry to hear this news.  You stay strong and do what you need to do.  I go to the doctor on Monday for a referral to whatever doctor I need to see.  I won't know for a while what is wrong with me.  You are in my thoughts and prays.
According to the pathologist, the gram stain showed that the node is positive for lymphoma.  How extensive it is will be determined by the MRI and CAT on Friday of this week.  They are looking to see if there are any signs of lymphoma elsewhere in the body that aren't visible like the node was.  The surgeon was almost sure it was not malignant, but the path did extensive tests and says it is lymphoma.  How active all this is remains to be seen.  The MRI is on the head region where all the sinus symptoms have been.  I had an MRI 4 years ago this summer and there was nothing there except the brain. ha.  I had a pelvic MRI  6 months ago and the gynecologist said there wasn't any disease there either.  I had a double contrast barium 5 years ago this summer and there was only the extensive diverticulosis.  The ordinary blood tests I have had this summer don't say anthing except ANA positive for inflammation.  Now all that is left right now is about 3 or 4 hours in those confined terrible tubes that I hate, but I have to do.   I am calling my annuity people today and getting started on withdrawing what I have to attempt to get a place with my daughter's family as soon as we can.  All I want to keep are my cats and the things I have left of my son's.  The girls can do as they please with the rest.  I am sad and tired, but I have been sad and tired for two years, 9 months and 19 days now without my boy.  I am plunging ahead and  trying to focas on things I can do right now.  Thank you for all your wonderful kindness.  I think a genetic marker means it was there and just got activated by something going on in the body.  I really can't find anything definitive on the internet, but I will ask the hematologist when I go on the 11th.
I am so sorry about this. Please let us know how the MRI and CAT scans go. You have been through so much and this is another bump in the road.

Please take care of yourself! You seem like such a nice person.

Debbie
Okay, I'm not sure where to begin with all this...My hubby has told me recently that he has had white spots in the back of his throat that if he's brushing his teeth he will run the toothbrush back there and they will break off not tasting very well, his tonsils are swollen, his lymph nodes are swollen, his gums are bleeding, his neck is swollen and stiff, he's having a hard time swallowing and chewing, his throat hurts along with his throat. He occasionally gets the chills and has been very tired. He loves his job and would do anything in the world to get up and go and he has a very hard time getting up in the morning. Apparently, this has been going on for the past few years and it's progressively getting worse. I told him he needs to go see a doctor and he's afraid to, because he knows what it is. Our insurance is changing as of Nov 1 and he has promised me to go see a doctor then. He is 36 years old and we have 3 young children. I have done my research and it all leads to some type of throat cancer. The thought has crossed my mind that it could be an infection, but my theory is I would have it and it wouldn't have gone on this long. The other thing is we were both on an antibiotic of 800 mg last year and there still there. They never went away. I'm trying to think positive but when I do all my research it all leads to the throat cancer. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
I left the page up until I could tell you that the MRI showed nothing in the brain or sinuses.  The CAT showed some l.l cm nodes in the upper abdominal area so we are doing the PET next Friday.  I guess the official diagnosis is indolent non hodgkins lymphoma.  Hopefully, it will stay indolent a few years and I can have some time before heavy treatment if I even decide to do any.  Thank you for all the replies.
Okay, so I posted this a week and a half ago and I still have no response from anyone! I have emailed people and still no response. Apparently only certain people are important enough to get a response and I must not be one of them. So I guess I'll have to try and find another forum to post in. Thanks for nothing!!
I don't usually comment on these sites.  Good news is I don’t believe your husband has cancer based on the white stuff in his throat but bad news sounds like he has periodontal disease that should be take care of or he may lose all  of his teeth.  Good oral hygiene like brushing your teeth 2-3 times a day and flossing all your teeth every day helps prevent this.  Otherwise the gums bleed and recede from the tooth.  More about the white stuff in his tonsils. I had my tonsils removed when I was 32 years old in response to this “white decaying” stuff in them.  This white stuff for lack of a better word I believe is a type of infection…although my doctors and I disagree about the origin of it.  My ENT told me that it was either food debri getting lodged in “crypts” or holes of my tonsils and basically collecting bacteria which results in a really disgusting smell.  This makes your breath really bad and causes your throat to hurt.  Anyway, you can clean them out gently with a long Q-tip and gargle with a dilute solution of peroxide or salt water.  The only cure I found was to have my tonsils removed.  Hope this helps.
I am new to this forum.  I have been dealing with enlarge lymph nodes for 1.5 years.  It started with one enlarge lymph node in the subclavicular area.  I had an ultrasound which came back suspicious and was referred for a CT, the very next morning they called me back to have an MRI as the previous CT showed abnormalities and several nodes in my neck area varying in size between 1 to 1.5 cm.  The specialist that I saw specialize in lymph node surgery (he is a surgeon) related to melanoma since I had a melanoma on my right leg in April 2003.  He wasn't concerned with my lymph nodes and didn't want to do a biopsy.  I went back to see him in September because I have been feeling unwell since June.  Again he was not concerned.  I did a blood test and it only revealed ferritin at 38 so I was sent back for another test a week later and it had gone down to 33 but he didn't do anything about it and neither did I since I don't know what it means.  Since then, I have lost 21 pounds since mid August; I have more palpable lymph nodes.  I have constant cold sores on my lips and inside my nose.  I have intermittent fever but I am not sure if it is caused by the cold sores or if I have the cold sores as a result of the fever.  I had cold sores in the past but maybe one every two years.  I went to a clinic yesterday because I felt unwell again and the doc said that I had sign of an infection in my mouth and that my lymph nodes could be caused by a virus that I haven't been able to fight for 4 months.  He is sending me for blood work again. I am not scared about this, as cancer, which is usually the most scary diagnosis is not new to me.  As I said I had a melanoma removed and I lost my sister to cancer a year and a half ago.  Thanks for listening and any insight would be appreciated.
Hi I'm new to this post. I'm 22 just got out of the Marines and am on unemployment. I have 2 lynth nodes in the top part of my neck, one I know for sure has been there for many years and is soft and movable the other however, Is small 1cm and isn't hard but firm it is located near my hairline. I am concerned bacause as I said I'm on unemployment right now and don't have insurance and I don't know if I should have it checked out or not. I'm trying to figure out how hard is a cancerous lynth node suppose to be? It's not rock hard but it is firm. I have felt of my wifes lynth nodes and they feel like the soft one on my neck feels. Deb you seem to know a great deal about this stuff what do you think?
i am 16 years old and 5 days ago discovered a lymph node on mu neck..
it is only 1 cm.. but i couldnt find anything on the other side.
i have some throat pain 3 days ago and a runny nose but im fine now..
i feel completely fine now but im not sure wether i should go to a doctor or just wait..
please help
please help
im a 16yo male and i have the same problem do i have anything to worry about?
Hello,  I am new here.  I had an MRI done on my neck and was called back for c5-c6 herniation.  spelling.  And enlarged lymph node, 16mm x 25mm,  referred to ENT.  Saw him yesterday,  he can not feel lymph node, it is in jugular region.  He has ordered CT Scan to be done on Monday.  I lost my Dad 3 years ago to Colon Cancer.  I do have night sweats, my Primary Doctor said it was hormones, had a hysterecomy 13 years ago for severe cervical dysplasia.  I am always tired.  I am on B\P medication and hormones, now on muscle relaxers too.  I am just a little freaked out. I am 43 y/o female.
I have a swollen subclavical lymph node on the left side.  It is very noticable.  I saw my doctor about it a month ago.  He did a chest xray and said it showed bronchitis.  I do hot have bronchitis and have not had so much as a cold in a couple of years.  He asked if I wanted a CT scan but I left it up to him and he didn't seem worried at all.  I didn't have the CT scan as a result.  Now, that lumph node is even more swollen.  I have lost confidence in my doctor and am considering starting over with someone else.  I am 60,, female have high blood pressure, celiac disease and psoriatic arthritis.  The lymph node is not tender.  It is rubbery and probably the size of 3/4ths of my palm, and I have small hands.  I don't have any other symptoms that go with lymphoma.  Should I be worried?  Thanks
I should add that I am short of breath and sometimes feel little sharp pains in my chest.  My mother died of pulminary fibrosis.  
What is it with all the sick 26-year-olds?  

I'm a 26-yr-old female who, about 2 months ago, found swollen lymph nodes in my neck.  One is probably about 1cm, the other, much smaller.  (I just discovered one under my chin today after reading someone else's post.  Who knows how long that's been there.)  As I was recovering from a cold, this swelling seemed normal, but after 4 weeks, the nodes were still swollen.  My doctor tested me for Mono, some other Mono-like virus, had a chest x-ray and a myriad other blood tests and all came back fine.

About 2 weeks ago, I was eating something when I had a weird pain in my jaw, accompanied by nausea and dizziness.  It subsided after a few days, but I continue to have lots of pressure in my ears and popping (side note: I had major reconstructive jaw surgery 2 years ago).  I also have had some discomfort when I sleep.  Sore neck mostly, I had to buy one of those expensive pillows but it doesn't do much good. Other than that, zero symptoms.  I feel fine, have a ton of energy.  No changes in node size. My doctor scheduled a biopsy for me in a few weeks (agonizing wait!) to check for lymphoma, lupus, HIV, and some other diseases that just seem completely unlikely.  

I haven't had a sick day in over 10 years; I've probably been into the doctor more these past 2 months than in my entire life combined. Does this situation sound familiar to anyone?
Hi i am 23 male. I have over about 1 year noticed large limph glands underneath my ears basically. Thought nothing of it then my ears started to ring and then humming noise. I had a strong heart beat in my neck and found it hard to sleep getting 1 hour less sleep a night. The doc gave me some cetirizine tablets to take at night. They seems to of got rid of my strong heart beat in my neck and the humm in my ears but they still slightly ring. My glands are still large and ache when i move my neck especially at night. I have 2 weeks left of the cetirizine tablets and now have notice a gland underneath me chin on my right side. I also get a really red and puffy face sometimes and have slight by my temples. I have had a blood test for problems with thyroids and diabetis and come back all clear. I also feel weak usually at the end of the day. The cetirizine tablets the doc gave me really caught me sleep up for a few days being asleep for 12 hours at night. I also when feeling tired get slight pins n needle especially in me ancle bone. I can still get through a normal working day but dont really feel like doing anything no more.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with me ?
Hi I am a 26 year old female ...I have has swollen golf ball sized lymph nodes on both sides of my throat....I am sooo tired all the time.....I am worried....doctor says they could be swollen because I was always sick as a child and they will stay big forever...but I just dont know.  I am so tired all the time....I sweat profusely...but not while sleeping and i have had some numbness and tingling in my hands...please help
Hi i think it is possible for the limph nodes to remain large if you have had a long term of illnes. The numbness in your hands is probly caused by the swelling of your neck this is normal. I think the best thing for you to do is try and forget about it. Do alot of excercise and just have a health diet. Try this for a month and its is very possle your tiredness will stop. As for your swollen glands if causing discomfort you might want to go back to your GP
Hiya im 15 and i have the same problem  i have had swollen glands for nearly a year since i had glandular fever! they hav not gone down since and im struggling now.... wen i wake up i have pain in my shoulders and neck as if i slept on them funny but i knw i dnt... i have these red lil dots tht suddenly appeared on me in radnom places :S i have recently been diagnoised with hypothyroidism but i am still tired all the time and depressed... wen i swallow its really loud and sumtimes i struggle 2 swallow my saliva.... also everytime i swallow i hear popping or crackling noises in my ears :S still swollen glands and hav had blood tests regulary.... also have had strep throat in the past... what seems to be going on because i can tell there something wrong... i also have bad headaches tht i have nearly everyday and itching in places such as arms mostly!!

please help me :(
To anyone who has gone undiagnosed, but has symptoms like:
chest pain
fatigue
night sweats
joint and/or muscle pain
lesions or bumps on body and/or legs
trouble breathing
swollen lymph nodes
overall ill feeling that won't go away
etc,etc,etc.

Suggest to your Dr. to see if you have Sarcoidosis. stopsarcoidois.com will tell you more about it and lead you to others who have the same issues. It is a multi-system auto immune disease. Difficult to diagnose and to treat. I have had it for 14 years and still get new symptoms. Alot of  the people on here sound just like the people I talk with on that site. Good luck. Theresa
My son has had a large lymph node ever since he was 6 months old, I had it looked at and they said he was just sick and it would go away. Well I had it looked at again when he was 3 and they said it was nothing and didnt do anything. Now he is 9 and it looks bigger, you can see it very well while he is just standing there, do I need to see another dr or something im worried.
Hi Ya'll.  Hopefully everyone is putting their best foot forward. Even though I keep falling, I still cowgirl up.  My Aunt had a breast removed in her thirties, she is in her sixeties now. My Grandpa died of lung cancer and never smoked a ciggarette in his life. I have had a thickening in my left axilla for eight years and lymph node swelling without infection in my left clavicle for seven years.  I have night sweats, periodic fevers, restless legs, pain in my lower legs when walking briskly, regular abdominal pain bouts and pain under my ribs, fatigue, anemia and nausea. Atypical weight gain. The clavicle and axilla growths dont particularly hurt but the areas around them have started hurting more often and with less exertion. Doctors have recommended further evalution based on imaging and doctors have dismissed everything due to lack of evidence.  There is no doubt that something is wrong, I know because I live with it every day and have been for years.  Having been a homemaker who did domestic work while raising my children I lack marketable job skills and am four credits short to be eligable for social security disabilty. Since I don't have minor children at home I do not qualify for medicaid. Ladies and Gentlemen, the medical field is so political that they have to pick and choose who gets the quality and quantity of medical care. Then there are the lawsuit crazies that ruin many chances for patients who are grateful for genuine medical care. Does any one notice the simularities of dismisal of facts and symptoms as compared to those who have top notch insurance and are above the lower working and middle class brackets? To counter balance all my woes I have returned to college. I am a full time student and part time receptionist at the college. Is it an oxymoron to be striving so hard to improve my living while struggling for my life?
I have had small swollen lymph node in the back of my neck since June. My biggest problem is I cannot move my neck! My neck, back , shoulders and waist are in very bad pain. I feel like I want to cut my head off! Also, I have a thyroid disorder (since I was 28, 40 now still normal with synthroid .o25) and I have been having a real hard time breathing. What I want to know is....What doctor should I go see for this??? I went to E R in July for horrible migrane got MRI, x-rays and even a horrible spinal tap all came back good. I just cant take my neck and back pain anymore. Even gotten massages and nothing helps!! PLEASE HELP!!! ANYONE?????
Help!

I have been seeing many specialist and they all seem to be giving me the run around and no one seems to be "doing" anything except delaying my care and telling me what should be done.

In June of 2008, I started having severe abdomen pain and uncontrollable diarrhea. I had 2 normal CT scans. Nothing abnormal except ovarian cysts. I went to a GI doctor and had scopes and was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia, gastroparesis without cause (I do not have diabetes), severe esophagitis, and rare precancerous cells that they do not know where they came from. They want to do more tests on that. I have also had pneumonia 4 times this year. I am only 32.

At the end of August, I noticed a large lymph node on the back of my neck on the right side. I figured it was a virus and let it go. In September, it was worse and painful. They also noticed I had mild swelling in 1 lymph node on the left side, bilateral axillary, and groin lymph node swelling. In 3 months I was treated with 3 antibiotics and steroids with the lymph nodes only increasing in size. I was referred to a Hem/Onc dr.

In the last month I had a failed biopsy (the dr did not know what he was doing and only got "normal tissue and not a lymph nose). I also had a CT of the neck which showed "multiple swollen nodes", a CT of the chest and abdomen Dec 28 which showed 13mm lymph nodes in the periaortic area of the abdomen, a right thyroid nodule 6mm. I had a MRI this past week which showed 1.5 cm left subclavicular lymph node swelling along with "marked abnormal lymph node swelling throughout my neck occipital, posterior, and anterior) with the largest on the left subclavicular area". I had a fine needle biopsy that showed lymphocytes (the dr would not tell me anything else except that a removal of lymph nodes under general needs to be done this week). I have had night sweats, no fevers, weight loss of 40 lbs in June (none since), and just an overall ill feeling. Sarcdosis was ruled out on the CT of the chest. My labs are fairly normal except for my CRP being high in October. I do have neck muscle pain, but the lymph nodes do not hurt. The are hard, rubbery, and palpable on my neck (anterior and posterior). They drs keep telling me they do not believe it is lymphoma or cancer, but what could it be??