Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Thickening on right side of neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Thickening on right side of neck

Hello, I am a 37 yr. old female new to this site. I am hoping someone can give me their thoughts on these symptoms I have been experiencing. 2 years ago I noticed that the right side of my neck felt thick or enlarged. Since I had been sick with a cold, I watched and waited for 6 months before going to my doctor with it. He did an ultrasound on my neck in his office which showed the chain of lymph nodes on the right side enlarged. He sent me to a surgeon to see about having a biopsy done. I explained my family history to her. My grandfather had some kind of bone cancer of which he died from in the early 70s. My mother had non-hodgin's Lymphoma as well as my uncle, her brother, has. We all grew up on the same farm, drinking from the same spring. She did a thorough check and told me that my carotid artery on the right side of my neck is just bigger than the left side and didn't feel that there was anything for me to worry about. That eased my mind for awhile. Then about a year later, I noticed that my right ear felt full. I became worried again when I realized it was the same side and the "thickening" was still present. I mentioned this to my doctor again and he sent me to a ENT. She checked me over and didn't find anything out of the ordinary except for the thickening. She ordered a CT scan of my neck and thyroid. The radiologist put in his findings that there was not anything to be concerned about. The ENT had told me that she would read the CT scan herself because she never relied on someone else looking at what she specialized in. A week later she called me in to her office and said there is something that showed up. She showed me what she was looking at and there is a "mass" just under a centimeter behind my saliva gland. I asked if this could be affecting my ear and she agreed. Being where it is, a needle boipsy is not an option, so I am scheduled for an open biopsy on Jan.17th. I have had several nose bleeds on the right side of my nose the past couple of years. I have had migraines since the age of 16, but they have become more severe and more frequent the past few years or so. Also, I have noticed that I have trouble catching my breath sometimes and have developed some stomach issues that I had thought may be lactose intolerance, but now I am wondering if it could be something more since I have cut dairy out of my diet and continue to have problems with bloating, etc. My mother and my uncle had no typical symptoms of Lymphoma other than my uncle having enlarged lymph nodes in his neck and my mother's cancer was found after having pain in her hip. I lost my mom 7 years ago to Leukeimia that developed after she became anemic a few years after she beat the Lymphoma. I am very concerned and scared. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Or am I just reading too much into different small problems? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
I think you are doing the right thing...by following up and being proactive!

I hope that everything goes really well for you!

Jo
Forgot to mention...I am 37 and female too.

And am constantly worried about my health...and I should REALLY stop poking around...as I sometimes find things that make me worry!

Jo
Thanks Jo! I guess we all worry too much sometimes. I appreciate your kind words!
Hi Annie,

I wish I could be more helpful...I worry myself silly sometimes and know it is tough to not think about stuff!

Please let me know how it goes on the 17th...I am sending oodles of good wishes your way!

Jo :o)