Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
This bite is paralyzing my hand

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

This bite is paralyzing my hand

I have been bitten about 3 days ago by some sort of bug in my sleep. My hand had a swollen red spot, but nothing real concrete. No "fang" marks, but it was definately a bite.  Iit hurt and stung, but in Colorado, there aren't many real bad venomouns spiders, so I didn't worry about it. Besides, I didn't know what kind of a doctor to call, my doctor doesn't know much about spider bites.

Well, my hand started to go tingly and dead (like if you slept on it) off and on and then the fingers and palm started hurting, throbbing really bad.  The middle finger especially is extremely painful and when it "goes dead" like I said, I can't make a fist.  The strange part is that there doesn't appear to be a bite mark, it is just kind of swollen and red, but extremely painful and I can't use my hand when it goes in and out of that tingly, dead feeling.  Any suggestions?  What kind of doctor should I see for this, or do I even need a doctor?
When I get bitten by some bug I usually don't have pain for 3 days (except in the case of mosquitoes), so in my opinion you should at least have someone look at it. In my country I would go see my GP for that (if he does not recognize anything he can order a blood test or forward you to somebody who has experience with bug bites.
What about a bark scorpion sting?  Do you have those in your area?  In any case, any bite that causes this many symptoms needs to be looked at.  Since you are having numbness and swelling, I would go to the ER.  It may be that you need more potent antibiotics such as an IV antibiotic rather than over-the-counter.  Since you don't know what bit you, you want to make sure that it isn't something that is going to cause necrosis of the tissue especially with what appears to be decreased blood flow to that area.  
Wow, that's scary!  Now I'm going to make an appointment to see the doc. I looked up spiders in Colorado and they say there is some sort of scorpions here, but I never would have thought they would be in the house in the middle of the city!  I have always thought of scorpions as being in the desert or something, better look more closely at that site.  Thanks.
even if the bite isnt from a dangerous species of insect , when ever there is a break in the skin there is always concern for infection some of which can be quite severe.. if the hand itself is quite swollen that might explain the numbness and dead feeling... people with carpal tunnel feel that too.. but if it was something like a tick the head can become imbedded causing infection as well as other risks accosiated with tick born illness.... you should see someone right away... if your hand is discolored or you are running a fever go to the er.... also some spiders though not considered to be that venomous can still carry a bacteria that can cause necrotizing fasciitis without treatment part of the tissue in the hand may start to die off ...
Yes, I'm going in to the doctor today because I always thought that the necrotizing fasciitis started right away and you would notice it immediately, but I didn't know it could take some time.  This is scary and I appreciate all the comments.
So what was the prognosis?
So I went to the Urgent Care here and he said that it was really infected and he didn't want me moving it around so that it wouldn't get worse. He put me in a splint and gave me antibiotics and told me that I needed to come back if the pain persisted and it was still getting numb.  He said that I don't have anything like a black widow bite or a recluse bite, but some spiders can still pack a punch.  So far, that is what was done, the prognosis is yet to be determined as I need to see him again because the pain is worse and the numbness is still there.  Will keep you informed.
Wow...I'm so glad you went to the doctor.  Sorry you need to go back but you need to be vigilant about this so that you can get better without any permanent damage.  Keep us posted.  Hope you feel better soon.  

We have what is called the rabid wolf spider here in maryland.  I looks like a brown recluse.  My husband got a bite on his hip and it turned into a dinner plate sized infection.  So the doc is right, some spiders really do pack a punch!  

Take care!
Well, I went to my doctor today and she has NO IDEA!  There isn't a bite mark, therefore she feels it isn't infected.  But, my hand is in so much pain, and then there is the numbness.  She is sending me to a neurologist and she tells me to keep it loose.  The other doctor put me in a splint because he DIDN'T want me moving it around too much, so I'm confused.  Anyway, she feels that the bite could have affected a nerve and now I could have neuropathy, but I need to get to this neurologist.  Will keep you posted.
What happened? I also live in Colorado- so you have me very curious! I have had animals come up temporaily paralyzed.