Toe Cramps
I have been having an inordinate amount of cramping in the toes of my feet.  I suffer from leg cramps all the way up to my thighs.  I swim a mile three days a week and walk 2 miles three days a week.  Has anyone ever experienced this cramping.  It is annoying in the feet because I do not kno how to stop it like I do with the leg cramps
hi, I think toe and calf cramps are quite common in athletes. I relieve mine by pulling my toes upwards and if that doesn't work try standing up and pressing hard on the floor with your toes heel up. I,m not an athlete but it works for me. Hope this helps. Chris

Some of the important causes of toe and leg cramps are overextension of the muscles,overweight,prolonged standing during the day,dehydration, alterations in the balance of salts in the bloodstream (such as a high or low sodium,calcium or potassium level),neuropathy(esp in diabetes),hypothyroidism,peripheral vascular disease(narrowing of the leg arteries which causes poor circulation),sarcoidosis,excess alcohol,nerve compression, and sometimes liver disease.

Some of these causes like dehydration,being overweight,alcohol intake and prolonged standing are modifiable by efforts of the patient. Stretching and massaging the affected muscle (usually a calf muscle) can usually relieve an attack of cramp. A painkiller such as paracetamol may help to ease muscle discomfort and tenderness that sometimes persists for up to 24 hours after a cramp has gone.

My advise is to consult a physician and rule out the above medical conditions by thorough investigations as without physical examination and investigations, pinpointing a diagnosis is tough.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries.

A related discussion, muscle toe cramps was started.