Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Unexplained Constant Vomiting, Doctors Cant Find Anything Wrong

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hi my girlfriend has been sick for a while now,
If her stomach doesnt agree 100% then she bring's it back up ten min's later. Sometimes it's slow acting and she is in pain with her stomach and then bring's it up at night. She can hardly eat as most of the time she bring's it up and she is also now scared to eat fo the fear of being sick. She can be fine for a few day's but then the next thing it's back to how it was. It's also not just food but drink aswell. She has been to countless doctors appts and they can't seem to find anything wrong with her. When she tell's the doctor she can't eat as she throw's it up they tell her to drink oxo. It's like her body reject's food no matter what. Is there some kind of test they are missing? She has had all kind's of blood test's. PLEASE HELP!!!

As all the blood tests have not revealed any diagnosis,I feel it can be a case of cyclic vomiting syndrome(CVS). CVS is an uncommon, unexplained disorder of children and some adults characterized by recurrent, prolonged attacks of sever nausea, vomiting and prostration with no apparent cause. Vomiting occurs at frequent intervals (5-10 times an hour at the peak) for hours to 10 days (1-4 most commonly).

CVS has been difficult to diagnose. The diagnosis is made by careful review of the patient's history, physical examination and studies to rule out other diseases that may cause vomiting similar to that seen in patients with CVS. Treatment is generally supportive with early intervention in a dark quiet environment for sleep and I.V. fluids when needed.I would suggest a consultation by a gastroenterologist.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I once heard of a little girl who kept vommiting for months and her doctor finally figured out they were actually episodes of seizures
Wow. It is really tough when someone you care about is so obviously ill. Hang tight and remember that doctors don't hold the keys to knowledge; you can help drive the process of diagnosis too, by politely not accepting non-answers or by asking leading questions concerning what further tests could be tried.

I am not a doctor, so consider my comments in that light:

I agree that CVS or seizures are real possibilities. Seizures can be checked by taking an anticonvulsant medication and seeing if the symptoms clear. However, there are many other possibilities as to what is the matter. Some questions to ask your girlfriend (and for her to pass on to the doctor, if the doc hasn't already asked):

Check for low-level physical injury to brain or major nerves:

Has your girlfriend had any physical trauma before the time of the first vomiting episode? For example, a fall in which she sustained a blow to the head, or to the thoracic region (chest area or upper back), or to the neck?

Has she had a concussion or whiplash prior to the onset of the vomiting?

Does she get the urge to vomit, as a sensation, at any time, or from adopting a particular pose (eg leaning forwards, sitting in an office chair, etc).

Does she get other weird sensations, for example gagging reflex or cough reflex being triggered ? If so, then possibly a nerve (vagus or glossopharangeal nerves) has been damaged or compressed.

Check out mild stroke and related conditions:

Has she had any out of the ordinary headaches before the vomiting attacks began for the first time? If so, where did the headache pain originate in the head, and was it symmetrical or only on one side of the head?

Has she fainted, or felt very dizzy before the vomiting attacks began?

Has she got any muscle or limb weakness on one side of the body? Any gait trouble or other coordination difficulties?

Check for peristaltic (muscular contractions of gut) abnormalities:

Do the doctors know if here stomach clearance rate is normal, or whether it is slower than normal? Same goes for the intestine.

Does food "stick" on the way down after swallowing?

Check for possible ulcer:

When she feels pain before vomiting, does the pain feel diffuse or is it a sharp, spearing pain? If it is a sharp spearing pain, does it originate at her stomach, or is it in the mid to upper back along the spinal column, or is it in the back of a shoulder blade, or somewhere else?

Has she ever vomited blood or a black tarry material?

Are there any foods which guarantee a vomiting attack will occur?

Does she get gastric reflux? If so, is it irregular or regular? Do any particular foods cause it?

Has she been tested for heliobacter pylori, a common stomach infection?

Has she had an endoscopy (tube with videocamera is pushed down the throut, under anathesia of course), and if so was it clear?

Finally, does she respond to any anti-tussive medications (ie drugs that inhibit the vomit reflex)? Opioids such as codeine, which is in panadeine, have a mild anti-tussive affect. Stronger anti-tussives are available from the doc.

All the best,

OtisDaMan.