Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Why do I always feel like somethings in my throat?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I'm 26 years old, multi-ethnic woman, over weight. I noticed, about a week ago, this weird feeling in the back of my throat...it doesn't hurt at all, its just irritating. It feels like food, or hair, or somethings stuck in the back of my throat. I've tried to hack it up, if stuck my finger down there to feel my throat to see if I would feel food, or something. I ate something to see if that would remove what ever was stuck in there....but it didnt work. When I eat or drink is the only time I don't feel there something back there.

I was trying to do some research on the possibilities....does anyone know what it might be, or have any suggestions.

(My thoughts are maybe parasites, thyroid, weight, reflux)

This discussion is related to Feels like there's something in my throat.
Sorry...I forgot to mention that when I stuck my finger in my throat to feel for food or anything, I didn't find any food....but it felt like there are little bumps or something....thinking its natural (???) Plan is to see the doctor in the next week or so if it doesnt go away.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Something stuck in the throat can be due to post nasal drip, if you have recurrent cold and sinusitis. It can also be gastric reflux due to weak esophageal sphincter or due to hiatal hernia. It can also be an allergic reaction to something you eat. You will need to consult your PCP and rule out these causes one by one. Hope this helps.
Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
I have been dealing with this on and off for 2 years now. About 6 months into it I read about tonsil stones(tonsilloliths) and it turns out that is what I get... I will go months without one and than I can get one right after the other constantly for a few weeks. It feels like a piece of hair or a corn kernel stuck in the back of my throat.
What it actually is: Bacteria in pockets on your tonsils. A little bit of bacteria or food will get into the oversized pockets on your tonsils and grow intil it is big enough to cause discomfort.
When I get the "stuck" sensation I go look in the mirror while using my finger, q-tip or bobby pin(ouch) to press on and down my tonsil. I start at the top of the tonsil and push in and down to see if a stone starts to imerge. You will see it if there is one in there. Normally just pushing it out kind of like a zit will get it all but I have been known to take a bobby pin and insert it into the pocket to get all of it out. Once you get them you pretty much will always get them. all it takes is a tiny bit of bacteria to grow into a large stone.
Warning... I do not recomend using a bobby pin because you can really hurt yourself!!
These stones smell just like fecal matter. they can be small and they can get pretty darn big considering the size hole they are coming out of. Google tonsilloliths and you will find more information.
In late January 2010 I felt as though mucous was stuck in my throat.  This condition presist as I was feeling that I could not get rid of this cold.  I went to the doctor in early February and I was diagnosed with GERD.  I was placed on Prilosec and told not to have any alcohol, tomatoes, citrus, chocolate, coffee, spicy or fatty foods and not to smoke.  Well I was never a smoker so that was easy.  Before this time I never had heartburn or indigestion to my knowledge.

Well, since that time I have done as prescribed above but the symtom continues.  This condition is very annoying and I don't really want to continue taking the medication if it is not helping  Anybody out there with any suggestion will be appreciated.  Thank you.  
Could it be asthma?

GERD or LPRD (throat and voice box reflux) has that feeling that something is stuck in the throat.

Sorry.  Not very helpful.  I would recommend revisiting your doctor.
It could be due to a hiatal hernia. Sometimes, when they are pushed up through the diaphragm, they can cause this "stuck" feeling. I would see a physician and have them check things out.