Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Word finding problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Word finding problems

I am a 57 yr. old woman with Fibromyalgia. I take a low dose sleeping pill every night and an anti-anxiety med. when required. I was an English major in University so this is terribly frustrating for me but I am literally at a loss for words when I am trying to explain something or even just in conversation. I know the word I want to use but it just won't come to me. Sometimes I may think of it later. I have chronic pain and very high anxiety. Is this "fibro fog" or could it be a side effect of the medication? If I stopped taking the medication would I be able to put a proper sentence together with fumbling for every word? I don't take anything for pain because I haven't found anything that works for me so I have been taking the sleeping pill for a while because I have to sleep if nothing else.
I do not have fibromialgia (fibromyalgia).  But I do suffer severe anxiety, and take medication for it.  I have experienced what you explain about not being able to get words to come out.  It happens to me when I am very nervous or upset.  Sometimes if it's really bad, I can't talk at all for a little while.  I think in my case at least, that it's due to anxiety, not meds.  I think you should see your doctor and ask about possibly raising your dose of anti-anxiety med a bit, and see if that helps.  Blessings - Blu
Look up Low Dose Natrexone (LDN) and medical marijuana for helping with fibromyalgia pain.

I have Fibromyalgia and "foot in mouth" disease from "Fibro fog".  Drinking Green Tea seems to help some.  But there are days when what I say doesn't come out quite right... Seems to be because the body is in fight or flight mode at all times and our brains can't engage in regular conversation.  We either speak too fast and step on our tongues, or speak slowly and say the wrong words.... Only thing that works on my pain is Naproxen.  Ibuprofen is like taking candy pills and Tylenol isn't much better.  There used to be Orudis available that works on Fibro pain also - but can't find it in our area.
You didn't say what you take to help you sleep.  I used to take Amitriptyline and then later Trazodone.  Now I just take Melatonin 3 mg.  It helps me sleep and although I don't wake up completely refreshed  at least I am not walking around in a fog as I did with the meds.  
       I am so glad that the doctors finally recognized Fibromyalgia as a disease.  Took them long enough!