collapsed veins from intraveinous drug use
Is there any way to repair collapsed veins from prolonged IV drug use? Patient has no significant veins left in arms, hands, neck and only one significant vein in the back of the thigh. (All doctors refuse to use this vein). This is making routine blood work and other tests that require an IV next to impossible. Patient is experiencing severe weight loss and is need of extensive tests.
I think they get better over time. My husbands veins collapsed in a similar manner when he had his last chemotherapy sessions. His have actually took some time to recover. Can they not fit a hickman line if his veins have collapsed. They used this method for my husband but I dont know if this was because of intravenous chemo sessions. You could ask your Dr.
Veins that collapse occasionally will repair themselves in time, but those that have collapsed due to continued drug use will not.  When the veins collapse repeatedly, the body will "grow" new ones around the bad or blocked veins.  These are usually smaller and are not straight, but rather curly.  They get blood to the body, but can't be used for IVs because they are small and aren't straight.  An IV needle needs a vein that is at least 1 1/2" straight. The best veins are in the hands and forearms, but veins in the upper inside arm and shoulders can be used in some cases.  Veins in the legs are not used because the blood sometimes pools in the legs and the meds do not circulate in the body.  In some cases when veins are really bad, a catheter can surgically be placed in the forearm, such as with dialysis.
HI I'M DEB AND I'M 27 YRS OLD,I HAVE COLLASPED VEINS IN BOTH OF MY ARMS AND I BRUISE SO EASILY THAT I HAVE EVEN HAD THE BLOOD TEST FOR THEBLOOD DISORDER THAT MAKES YOU BRUISE-VAN WILLBRAND'S DISEASE AND IT CAME BACK CLEAR,BUT I BRUISE TERRIBLE EVERY TIME I HAVE BLOOD TEST WHICH IS REGULAR.
A related discussion, It this normal??? was started.
A related discussion, Recovered IV Drug Users - Vein Questions was started.