Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
distended lower abdomen

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

distended lower abdomen

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I'm 29, 5'8" and 120lbs, for the past few months my lower abdomen has gotten very distended. Im bloated most of the time even in the morning. I've been constipated but for the past few weeks have been able to go everyday. I have pain in the lower right that goes to my groin and my lower back. the pain comes and goes whenever. I work out 5 days a wk in the gym the rest of my body looks normal except for the fact that i look 3 or 4 months pregnant. I eat healthy but now don't know what to eat anymore because i dont want my belly to swell up. so today i started eating very bland and pureed foods which is helping but im hungry and frustrated. had an ultrasound done on my uterus and ovaries and their fine. blood work was done also good. dont have insurance so its been hard to get medical attention. Dont know what to do next
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Try increasing fiber and fluids in the diet. Eating the right amount of fiber and drinking six to eight glasses of fluid result in softer, bulkier stools. Good sources of fiber are fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Under a doctor’s guidance you can try stool softener. Since you exercise a lot, there is a chance you do not take enough fluids. There is a chance that you have irritable bowel syndrome. Problems of rectum and colon too can cause constipation and distension.
A proper investigation is required preferably by a gastroenterologist (a doctor who looks after the digestive system) to know what is the cause of the constipation. The treatment will follow correct diagnosis. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining.
Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Thank you for writing!
I've been going to the bathroom every day so i'm not constipated anymore at least i don't think. I drink usually about 75oz of water a day and eat alot of veggies. what usually happens is as soon as i eat i get very distended and i hear lots of gurgling noises in my intestines. Then i feel alot of trapped air but sometimes the distention is without gas. other times with the distention it gets hard and i will have the feeling as if there is a football in there almost like a contraction. This happens every day along with some sort of cramps or pelvic pain. I also skipped my period which has never happened (pregnancy test done at home and at the dr were negative) don't know if all of this is related. Even the skin on my lower belly doesnt feel right its mushy and almost sort of numb feeling sometimes. could i be retaining water? I know I need to see more dr's but its hard without insurance so i'm trying to do all i can while i wait another 2 months to see a clinic dr. The past 2 days i've been eating only cereals, rice cakes, squash, sweet potatoes and papaya and sipping on peppermint and fennel tea this seems to help with the gassy part but i know its only short lived cause i know i can't just live on that.
Thanks for keeping me posted!

This looks like an irritable bowel syndrome. Yes, if you have an irritable bowel, you will develop gas and distension on eating fibers in diet and vegetables. Please consult a gastroeneterologist as soon as you can.
Thank you for writing back. I hope i can find a dr that will help me at low cost soon because this has taken over my life. Is there any reason though why my abdomen has become so mushy and swollen looking? its lost all definition and with the amount of time and effort i put into staying fit it shouldnt look this way